Declining popularity of this hobby?

Girls and Woman just LOVE a guy whom is good with his fingers. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. Your experience may vary…

8 Likes

Does he actually throw? I hope he does.

10 Likes

My wife says all my tricks look the same. She says all I do is throw the yoyo, move it around on the string, maybe jump it up and then bring it back to my hand…

10 Likes

Actually, she said Ann Connolly’s “Magic Trick” was kind of interesting.

4 Likes

Mine says the same thing lol… I think that’s a big part of it. If you’re an outsider looking in, it all just looks the same and maybe a few tricks will look impressive, but probably not enough to make them pick up a yo-yo and try it for themselves. For those of us that have spent a great amount of time grinding out tricks until they’re perfect, we’re more aware of the intricacies involved and can therefore appreciate an amazing routine.

6 Likes

That’s too funny :joy: (P.S. Ann actually learned this trick from Matt Overly (hope I’m spelling that right lol))

2 Likes

Ah… I should be a bit more careful with attribution.

2 Likes

It’s a small mistake. A lot of people actually thought that was Ann’s trick. She popularized it.

1 Like

Haha yeah mine gives me the same look she gives my son when he thinks he did something amazing. The “oh, good for you.” look. Then immediately back to what she was doing. We’ve known each other for 30 years. My tricks have improved, her appreciation of yo-yo tricks has not. But she tolerates me buying more, so I’m happy.

4 Likes

i’ve noticed an increase in popularity
in yoyos, and skill
toys in general… particularly amongst
atypical age groups.

pardon my typing, my eye injury implies poorly written haiku i guess @Roy_Dodge

3 Likes

I can only say that it seems to be more popular now than it was 55 years ago when I got my first yoyo.

5 Likes

I made a joke IG post, where I was literally just throwing the yoyo around and not doing any tricks. literally just hoping it around and a bunch of non yoyo people commented - wow- cool :clap::clap: etc etc

people really only see a yoyo bouncing around lolol

6 Likes

Show your wife this vid

3 Likes

Can you please post that vid here? I do not do IG. Thanks!

2 Likes

Yoyoing skills is like having an amazing stamp collection - very few people will be impressed or even care.

5 Likes

https://youtube.com/shorts/oEhJgFlykyk?feature=share

10 Likes

Yeah. Pretty funny. I think that’s what a lot of people see. You just did the equivalent of Walk the Dog by dragging the yoyo on the ground. Maybe you are onto a new style of yoyoing. 9a?

4 Likes

That was very flowy! Great post! You should post a follow up tut! Maybe have @nightshadow brother help with the editing.

2 Likes

a real spongebob moment

• first you do this
    -then this
    -stop on your right foot dont forget it!
    then this and this this that and this
3 Likes