Declining popularity of this hobby?

This is a bit of an old question, but as a beginner I’ll give my two cents anyway:

because not everyone can learn this stuff. It’s easier to learn to solve all Rubik’s cubes (3x3, 4x4, 5x5, pyramids, different shapes…).

I tried for a really long time. I can’t do the trapeze because I’m scared of hurting myself. I can only do the inside loop with one hand. With both hands it’s impossible for my pea brain. I have problems with the left hand. The right hand works fine.

When you spend three years trying to learn these yo-yo tricks and after years you can’t do the simplest tricks like the trapeze and these 2A tricks, and then you see these “pros” performing tricks that look like they’re as easy as brushing your teeth, you feel a bit like you’ve been ripped off and you lose interest because it’s just not that easy.

I can solve the 3x3 Rubrik’s Cube and plan to learn to solve the 4x4 Cube. I bet that’s easier than learning those damn yo-yo tricks.

6 Likes

Your scared of getting hurt doing a trapeze? I’m sorry but that’s a bit extreme

7 Likes

Physical hobbies are different than mental hobbies.

Not everything is for everyone and that’s fine. I don’t think the declining popularity of yoyo is due to trapeze being too difficult but that’s just, like… my opinion, man.

8 Likes

It’s all about mindset and how much you enjoy it. If it’s not fun, or worse, it’s scary? it might not be the hobby for you. And that’s okay!

I’m speaking generally, of course. This could be applied to any hobby.

I, personally, feel like I’m seeing more and more people discovering, or rediscovering, yoyo and falling in love. I could be wrong, but I feel like I’ve seen way more people come into the hobby than leave it.

Especially lately. It seems like a LOT of people have joined the forums recently. I wonder if there is a place to see those numbers. I’ve been curious about it for awhile now.

9 Likes

My brain can’t get around a Rubik’s cube so to each their own

4 Likes

Welcome to the community!

Perhaps you could give the 1A style of yoyoing a try, if you haven’t already. I think it allows for faster progress (when measured by number of tricks acquired in a span of time), so perhaps it would be easier to stick with. As a bonus, it also takes away most “fear” of the yoyo coming back on you unexpectedly if that’s a concern.

As others have said, not every hobby is for everyone. If you’re not enjoying it, maybe throwing isn’t for you - and that’s ok! Congrats on being able to solve multiple types of Rubik’s cubes :clap:

4 Likes

I wasn’t really compelled to say anything until I decided to read your post a couple of times to make sure I could wrap my head around your opinion.

At that point, when it sunk in that your post is just a little too negative, I’ve decided to break it down a little bit and give you my opinion based on what you said to form yours.

First of all, throwing yo-yos and solving Ruby‘s cubes, are as different as they are the same. Obviously they both take a lot of mental calculations as you breakdown what you need to do to get where you need to go. But the coordination necessary to facilitate pulling off various yo-yo tricks could be considered diametrically opposite to twisting around a square or other shape to put colors on the same side. I mean, obviously, they both take brains. But other than the problem solving experience that they both can provide, the rest of the aspects you Must contribute to effectively execute tricks or solve cubes are very different.

Obviously, it should go without saying, but I’ll say it anyway, you don’t have a pea size brain brain Or you wouldn’t be able to solve Rubik’s cubes in any dimension or configuration…

Another thing Is that you mention you tried for a really long time to do a trapeze, but you’re afraid you’re gonna hurt yourself. Well, sadly, the combination of trying to learn something while being in fear of learning something is not conducive to any acceptable level of success. For example, if you wanna play baseball and you love playing centerfield and you love running the bases and you love the idea of hitting home runs, or at least high enough to go over the shortstops head, but you have this terrible fear that every pitch that is thrown when you’re up to bat is going to hit you right in the face and knock all your teeth out, most likely you need a steel face helmet or your face will get crushed by 100 mile an hour curveball. You can’t very well do a good job learning a trick. Even throwing a trapeze if you’re in fear of your life or whatever, that’s just not gonna happen. iIt would be kind of like saying well I really like the idea of boxing but I hate the idea of the other guy hitting me. OK you’re certainly not gonna be a boxer.

I really wanna learn the trapeze, but I’m afraid I’m gonna hurt myself. OK, I guess you’re not gonna learn the trapeze. Since there’s about 750 tricks from simplest to most difficult if you just migrate your mind to the simple end of the tricks spectrum there’s certainly one or two tricks besides the trapeze that you may Attempt to learn just to motivate yourself.

When you say you spent years trying to learn tricks and you still can’t do them that is just a big? Because even though you say years, that doesn’t mean you’ve been trying several hours a day every day. Years could mean once every six months you make a mediocre attempt to learn the trick again and then you just go back and play with the Rubiks cube.
Saying you spent years to learn something with no success at all it’s kind of vague unless you want to get into the details of how many billions of attempts you made over a period of how many hours you spent struggling to learn one of the Simplest tricks in the entire yo-yo spectrum.

When you say watching the pros doing the tricks like it’s as easy as brushing their teeth, there’s a simple explanation for that. You had part of the answer in your statement.

The yo-yo pros are called pros for a reason. Except for a few miracle natural players that seem to learn a trick every four seconds, most of the pros have spent 3 to 8 hours a day six or seven days a week, for years. And most of them have probably smacked the yo-yo into every part of their body, but the area people would call the plumbers crack. They’re pros because they pull out all the stops to try as hard as possible, and failure is usually not even considered an option.

Not exact understanding why you feel that you’ve been ripped off because you can’t learn something and pros make it look easy? That doesn’t make any sense at all. Nobody ever said that everybody will have an equally easy or equally difficult time going up a yo-yo trick ladder. One of the nicest things about yo-yo playing is usually somebody anybody everybody can find a comfort level where they can still have fun. They don’t have to be a pro. They don’t have to dream about thinking like a pro. They don’t ever have to wonder if they’re gonna be a pro. They just play alone hang out with friends or watch videos by themselves and throw yo-yo tricks and have fun. They don’t feel ripped off because they’re not as quick as their friend because everybody does things at various levels of challenge and difficulty.

I never closely studied Aesop fables. But there’s one where the fox is standing in the road, looking up at an overhanging vine. He’s staring at a large bunch of fat, juicy grapes that are hanging just above his level and ability to jump and reach. He jumps and jumps with no success. After a while, the fox says what a fool I am, they’re probably sour anyway And goes on his way.… Something like that? And the point of the fable is that sometimes people will justify not trying because they come up with their own reason why it’s not worth it.

It’s kinda like when people have told me over the years they don’t see the point of running a marathon. So what they say you run for miles and miles and you finish and so what?

In whatever endeavor, you decide to involve yourself in or immerse yourself in or just take a small dip in you have two options and only two options. You are either part of the problem or part of the solution. How much focus and energy you decide to commit to the challenge before you, Will go along way into identifying the potential results you may be able to achieve.

The Posture, you present on your views of learning, yo-yo tricks simply indicates that you either do not have the What it may take to learn yo-yo tricks. And that could be the results of either simple, inability, simple Unwillingness to commit to make it happen, or just feeling more comfortable, throwing in the towel and blaming it on the yo-yos to explain the problem away.

Everything in life is a challenge. Getting the right amount of sleep. Staying on a good healthy diet. Telling the truth instead of lying. Trying to figure out everybody else’s pronouns? Learning to solve Rubik’s cubes. Attempting to learn yo-yo tricks.

Everybody will not take the challenge. Everybody will not take the challenges seriously. Everybody may decide the challenge isn’t worth the effort.

But everybody has the option of taking on other challenges that may suit them better.

I’ve been throwing yo-yos around for literally years. And I would not even consider myself very good. I’ve tried tricks that I just can’t seem to wire for what seems like forever. The good news is what I can’t learn doesn’t keep me up at night, but the tricks that I do know help keep me happy when I’m awake.

I have no doubt that there’s at least a good handful of excellent high-level yo-yo players that would be totally jealous of how easy it is for you to solve even a 3 inch cube.

Some people are just better than other people at various things and that’s what makes life such an amazing puzzle. Challenges are everywhere, but everybody Is an equally adept in their attempts to confront the challenges before them.

Don’t ever feel bad, or pee, brained or fail mode because things don’t work out. Just pick something else and have fun. I have plenty of friends that never touch yo-yos and seem perfectly happy building cars and building Harleys and spending money in Las Vegas and buying houses and doing other fun things That loaded people do. They have fun every day of the week pretty much all year long, and never touch a yo-yo. Never own yo-yo. Never had any interest in yo-yos. But anytime I see them the immediately asked me to show them some tricks. So they’re enjoying the hobby from the outside and could care less about ever being able to do it trapeze on the inside.

Such as life. Focus on things that you can do well and enjoy what you can do. Never feel bad about what you can do. If we were all exactly the same life would be extremely boring.

Good luck with the cubes…

12 Likes

“If skateboarding yo-yoing ever gets too scary for you, then you were never meant to skate yo in the first place.” “– Jake Phelps” – Mooky

10 Likes

I’ll add, when I first started I was also timid about the yoyo shooting back at me. I’ve since learned not to care. My knuckle may get the occasional bashing, but I’ve yet to ever take a hit to the face. I’ve witness it happen to an old roommate, but he was trying to sleep a super responsive yoyo as hard as possible and wasn’t prepared.

The take away is, hits to the knuckles aren’t damaging and hits to the face in my experience are extremely rare. Now go out and buy yourself the most expensive, extremely rare, titanium bi-metal, with boutique string, and learn to trapeze.

7 Likes

I personally prefer lateral okra.

(Sorry the typo was too funny to not point out)

6 Likes

I’m saying it this way from now on.

My 3a skills a far below medial okra, but I’m pretty medial okra at 1a and 0a :smile:

4 Likes

I guess I’m just THAT bad at yo-yo’ing :rofl:

5 Likes

I’ve gotten a yoyo in the face more times than I can count.

Broke a pair of glasses in half at the nose piece. Decent little scar above my eye.

I think Charlie is in the minority here but I could be wrong lol

5 Likes

i def have an above the eye battle scar :muscle:

5 Likes

I’ve never been a big fan of those Rubik’s Cubes. They just don’t thumb grind well.

6 Likes

Some people don’t want to do easy things. Like you’re talking about Yoyo like being hard like that is a bad thing but I like that it’s challenging. It’s rewarding to struggle and improve. It also just feels good like just doing inside loops w one hand feels good. Idk if you don’t like it that’s chill. Maybe try a rubber Yoyo like Duncan first or something if you do wanna learn trapeze.

7 Likes

I’ve been clocked in the head exactly once and I’m not eager to repeat the experience.

3 Likes

Yeah. It took many, MANY close calls and a couple serious whacks to my noggin to learn to not to set my yoyos down with a knot and to do safety throws first. :joy:

I can be pretty slow on the uptake sometimes lol

1 Like

My above the eye battle wound. Definitely still have the scar lol

13 Likes

I my opinion if I look at the hobby at its basics. It has its difficulties like any other hobby time, and expense.
A person that is interested in throwing needs to be able to deal with allot of failure a long slow learning curve for many of the visually stimulating and rewarding tricks to hit. A players misery index needs to be high to deal with many hours with no reward sleeping on it trying and failing for many more days, years even. Most of my throws will be passed on to my 5 children who enjoy throwing even the little ones. So I will be doing my part to pass on the hobby.

5 Likes