Deciding on what to keep. How do you?

I am going through my collection of what I own and trying to minimize where I can… But its the more pretty and fancy yoyos I’m having a hard time of parting with…

For example- this MFD

I really like everything about this yoyo. It feels good in the hand performs great and a fantastic ano. But I don’t really throw it that much and it would also fetch + 100$

How do you decide whats a keeper or to let go

5 Likes

Is it green?
yes
KEEP!

8 Likes

Do you need to sell it to recoup the money? Is there something you want more? No harm in leaving it in your collection until you feel it really doesn’t belong. You don’t have to sell it because you don’t use it all the time.

As for deciding what to sell. If it doesn’t meet whatever collection goal I have at the moment, it’s on the chopping block.

It’s funny that you post an Edgerton Backstage Pass. I am also considering selling mine. I don’t understand the MFD market very well and have struggled at recent drops. Do I want to keep chasing MFD, or sell it and focus on other brands that I have a better chance with? I dunno…

9 Likes

I enjoy being a collector…and over the last couple of years I’ve become much more of a collector than a player.

I have a friend who seems to constantly be selling off his yoyos so that he can get new yoyos…and that’s great, he gets to try a ton of things that way and keeps the ones he really likes.

I collect nothing but green throws and the colorway is the most important thing to me when buying a new yoyo. Silly? Sure…but I’ve enjoyed the heck out of it and am pretty happy with my collection so far.
As a collector, I have no problems at all getting a yoyo I never plan on actually throwing. Just having it sit on my display brings me all the happiness I need from it.

I like being a collector. Every yoyo I get is one I know I’ll love regardless of how it plays. And I really like that I don’t have to fuss over trying to sell and ship my yoyos.

11 Likes

Agreed! I have my throwing yoyos and my case queens and don’t think negatively about the purpose for any of them. Sometimes I just want to look at pretty things.

8 Likes

Cue the offers on the MonkeyFinger…

3 Likes

Great question! I used to struggle with this too. Here’s what I do…

Line up all the yoyos up in a single-file line. Now just order them from most to least favorite, no ties allowed.

You don’t have to be perfect and you’ll see that you just naturally move some closer to the favorite side and others to the least favorite side.

Then start selling from the least favorite side.

8 Likes

I think if you’re having a hard time wanting to sell it then that probably means you should hang onto it because you’ll want to play it again at some point in the future.

As for me, in the same way @twitch77 loves green, for me if it’s gonna be a keeper it has to be an Unknown. But not just that, it has to also be something I actively enjoy playing. Every Unknown I’ve gotten that I haven’t enjoyed playing has gotten sold. Just thinking it looks nice isn’t enough of a reason for me to want to keep a yoyo. I’d rather use the money from that yoyo to get something else later on that I actually want to play with. There’s exceptions though, some yoyos I just like playing enough to keep regardless, and 0A/4A yoyos don’t get included in this. It’s a pretty limiting factor, but it is nice that it keeps my collection small and I get use out of everything I have.

7 Likes

Well done @mable!! I think you have a very sound plan…. That said, I had over 1,000•••
& I’ve managed it down to abt 300 & less than 100 responsive too…. Before 2005 tho!
All in fantastic shape- some still in packaging!?
So I have decided to take-out my top 25 and sell ALL the rest no matter……even with the stuff/boxes/aerosols/pins/stickers….even car freshener from GSquared….SF……jars——bags—etc!!

7 Likes

I used to be of a mind that if it doesn’t get thrown, it hits the road. But now I’m more of a mind that, if it doesn’t get thrown, it gets displayed. If I get tired of looking at it, THEN it hits the road.

Ivan

4 Likes

I decide to get rid of yoyos based on the simple question of “When was the last time I threw that yoyo?”. If I can’t remember I usually post it up for sale, or if I decide I like it and want to keep it, I add it into my rotation of yo-yos I use.

4 Likes

…is my wife watching?..

For me, it all boils down to one question: “Would I miss it if I let it go?”

So far, I have yet to miss even one I ultimately decided to move.

4 Likes

Two yo-yos are quite similar, which one do I like more? Also doubles…which seemed like a good idea at the time…

2 Likes

playability, the odds of getting it again, significance in rotation, how recently i got it… all lay a significant factor

3 Likes

Haven’t sold or traded throws as I tend to collect but what tends to be on my person lately are undersized pocket throws… Something that can easily fit in my pocket age be ready for when I get that itch to throw. Lately it’s been my executive, assassin, or clique.

2 Likes

My first thing I always consider is… If I sell this and get a quick $100, later on will it be a quick $100 to get another of the same throw if I want one again? If the answer is no, questionable, or I can’t answer it, I would hold onto it. Especially if I was on the fence with it.

Unless you need the money, or somehow don’t have enough space to store a yo-yo.

If the throw doesn’t get put into rotation for 6-12 months that means I don’t like it and it’s being sold off or given away.

4 Likes

I feel I can relate to this. Not that I don’t miss a yoyo, but I’m really good at justifying my actions :rofl:. No regerts.

I have a hard time remembering the ones I’ve sent away sometimes.

3 Likes

I know what I like and what I can live without. If I got rid of something I liked, it was because I had to have the cash.

I just think if I throw it or not and what is my trend for the season. Lately I have been all about the arctic circle shape (manatee, kodiak, boy) and organics. If they aren’t in my rotation or something I may even think I will miss they get sold. Only throw I regret selling has been my gorge but they may be on sale again so fingers crossed I can recoup that loss.

2 Likes