Dark Magic II Review

Hello everyone, Welcome to my first review of…well…anything really. Anyway Today I’m reviewing the Yoyojam Dark Magic II. Lets start with some specs:

Diameter: 56.13 mm / 2.21 inches

Width: 41.4 mm / 1.63 inches

Gap Width (mm/in) : Narrow Bearing: 3.00 mm / .12 inches

Speed Bearing: 4.95 mm / .19 inches

Response System: Silicone O-Ring

Compatible with Slim Pad CBC/K-Pad Response

Weight: 69 grams

Bearing Size: Size C (.250 x .500 x .187) YYJ Speed Bearing

This throw is one of my favorites by YYJ (Key word ONE OF). There’s some pros and some cons but overall I still love it. First off lets start with the Axel System, very nice for making the whole Yo-yo feel solid and strong, I have no problems with it. I also like the option of a Narrow bearing for the newer players to the world of yo-yos. I use the wider speed bearing because I am pretty well passed that stage. :slight_smile: Anyway, moving on. The response system for this one was relatively okay, but I’ve used better. Now time for the bad news.

The pads rather than actual o-rings didn’t impress me due to they wore out in 2 weeks or less, so I had to switch to some flowable silicone due to I couldn’t afford to replace the pads at the time. Anyway the other problem I’ve had with this one was when the pads wore out and fell off, it ended up smacking the floor and cracking. Cracking on one half part of it through the bearing seat and causing it to grab the string and pull it to the side of the Bearing. So now I’m out of this throw sadly.

Comparing to my other favorite throw I’ve owned, the YYJ Hitman, I find the Hitman to be a little bit better as far as quality goes. I loved the double rubber o-ring response system, and if I remember correctly it had a similar axle system, or was it an adjustable gap? Anyway The Hitman Just seemed all around better.

My overall score of the Dark Magic II: 7.5/10

Good review! Very accurate. I have a DM and a DM2. I like my DM1 better BECAUSE I like the hybrid system better than the silicone response. The hybrid doesn’t require any maintenance, mess, or paying more money$$ for either flowable silicone or silicone rings. Nice job! :wink:

I don’t see why people have problems w/ YYJ Sili Response. I use atmospheres, and their responses haven’t let me down yet.

I’m an advanced player, trying to learn buddha tricks (White buhdda, Buhdda’s revenge), and plastick whip. Should I get dark Mgc II, New breed, or SFX, or Recreational revolution No. 9? Dark Mgc sounds good!

I don’t know anything about the Newbreed or the SFX, but if you do get the DM I’d highly recommend taking good care of it. To me it was a little more fragile than expected.

Overall my preferred response system is double o-rings, easy to find at any Hardware store. and they’re about a quarter a piece if that.

Mine too. You NEVER have to replace them. You can use them forever. You can just keep playing with them always having tight binds because the response system doesn’t wear out.

Nice Review!

Great review! But it would be better if you elaborate more on shape and weight, and how they affect the play.

Starbursts die in a year or so.

Ok review, but 2 weeks to replace the silicone pads? Really? I got my legacy pads to last a good month and a half.

May I also add that was with 5-6 hours a day of play. Maybe your pads had a paper backing?

I just hate the DM II and DM all together. Its just me though lol its just too bulky and not a fun throw I dont see how it’s so good i would rather have a speeder or black knight

First of all,if you think the Dark Magic is good, then get it:)!
Second, have you looked at the reviews of each yo yo and compared them?If you had, then I would’ve predicted that you would choose something else.
Third, why are you trying to learn white buddha if you can’t figure out buddha’s revenge? Take each section of yoyo trick difficulty one at a time.
Finally, what’s your budget for buuying yoyos?

hmm…the time you put into puttin’ this review together is appreciated - but i’m left w/ many questions.

does the yo yo come w/ 2 bearings? narrow and wide®.

if the yo yo comes w/ a pad response, how wide is the recessed response area?

can you elaborate more on the new axle system? i’ve read ‘bout yyj re-designin’ the axle system for their new line(s)…but i still don’t have a clear idea of what it’s 'bout.

any pics? would like to see some comparison pics…

mgodinez

cloudy…

hmm…i wasn’t tryin’ to come off agressive or offensive. unlike your response.

granted, i could’ve and have seen these specs elsewhere, but perhaps i was tryin’ to get the reviewers opinion on them. replyin’ in his review thread would imply so to most - but i suppose not to the inept few.

why would you wish me a nice day after your confrontational reply. i understand 'bout sarcasm - but it’s rarely used w/ any intelligence or wit. as is w/ your case. if you don’t like my reply, that’s okay. just don’t read my posts and replies.

have a tremendously terrible and tragic day…

mgodinez

cloudy…

1 Like

The Specs for the weight is wrong. The weight is 67 grams.

Pretty good review, although I don’t know why so many people like the Hitman though, it could be just because of my own personal experience. It just wore out very fast, had very bad spin time regardless of how straight or powerful my throw was, it was noisy, and could NOT handle many layers. It could have been that mine came defective or something, oh well.

I have the hybrid hitman and I think its really good. Compared to the DM1 and DM2 its better. it spins for longer its easier for tricks and its overall better. dark magic 1&2 overall rating 4
hybrid hitman overall rating 5

performence wise which is better