d4rqk0n3 Reviews Buddy Jim's Nor-Cal String

I would like to open with the sad disclaimer that I do not have any pictures (of a respectable quality) of any of these strings. Anywho, now that that is out of the way… Some time ago Buddy Jim contacted me stating that he enjoyed my reviews and would like to have me review a few of his strings. I told him that I would love to and here we are… or so one would expect. The day I received these strings was an awesome day, I received a package from YYE and a notice that I had something to sign for at the Post Office. I went up there and received a decent sized bubble insulated envelope. Inside I found a handwritten letter thanking me for my service to this country and an interesting surprise. A complete inventory of each 5 pack of string I was sent. The Inventory was:

5x Emerald Triangles (3 Colorways)
5x Humboldt Honeys (1 Contrasting Colorway)
5x Mendocino Mommas (1 Colorway)
5x Truck Driving Girls (2 Super Bright Colorways)
5x Del Norte Double Wides (1 Colorway)
5x Triangle Cops (1 Colorway)
2x Sonoma Valley Girls (2 Colorways each featuring a metallic thread)

These things come extra long, so I had no problem sizing them to myself. Each having a different thread procedure that I am not sure if Jim want’s published so… yeah :stuck_out_tongue:

I think it would be easiest for both of us to break these down by individual string type.

Emerald Triangles

These are a blended string of varying thickness and material, they come with 3 different colors, one color per thread type.

Looks
All three colorways; Black/Soft Purple/Soft Green, Black/Soft Purple/Baby Blue, and Blue/Baby Blue/Orange were very eye catching. If used properly (i.e. dark strings on light clothing or background and vice versa) these babies stand out well enough and accent slack and whip visuals pretty well.

Texture
These are a touch rougher than Highlights or YYE Polys. Not anything dramatic enough to worry about, no noticeable increase in friction. Once they are broken in, these babies are soft like most Polys. They aren’t stiff, nor are they fluffy.

Tension
To be honest not a single one of Jim’s strings are problematic when it comes to tension, in fact they are the most low maintenance tension-wise of all the strings I have ever used. (Massive Points! :P)

Play
To be completely honest these play exactly the same as most commercial Polys only with much more bounce, not really elasticity but they definitely absorb a noticeable amount of shock when thrown. There really isn’t too much more to say here.

Durability
Again, just like the Tension section these things are amazing, I usually burn through strings like a chain smoker does cigarettes. Not any of Buddy Jim’s Strings, these things ave not broken on me yet, they just get dirty and stretch a bit but they don’t break, they don’t lose tension. I will post once I have one break.

Humboldt Honeys

Looks
These came to me in a very well done color, Yellow/Maroon, it was like Griffindor from the Harry Potter series. The colors might sound a bit odd to have together, but boy they actually look good together, nice colorway find!

Texture
Right from the get go these things felt like they were already broken in. They were pretty soft for what I assume to be poly.

Tension
I think the softness actually comes from how these are cranked, like over-twisted and then unspun into a tight but soft rope. Again, epicness.

Play
Despite the softness these are still weighty enough to have no problems with whips or slacks. No WHOOSH in the air but nice and consistent.

Durability
No breaks yet. :wink:

Mendocino Mommas

Looks
These colors are brilliantly contrasted, I don’t have a very good PG-13 reference to the colorway but Light Green/Maroon, they go together a bit better than you would expect but overall very different.

Texture
These feel to me like a thicker poly with more defined bumps (the spun string feeling), not rough at all, however once they are broken in they are pretty thin.

Tension
Didn’t we already go over this, I might as well remove the Tension section because they are ALL amazing tension holders.

Play
When they are fresh they are a touch floatier than they are firm. However once they break in, boy these things are like a really soft Alchemy, they get thin and stiffer.

Durability
I broke one of these, not the string’s fault, I got it caught between the spacer and the bearing, Chewarooni Batman!

Truck Driving Girls

Looks
Ever used a Pink or Orange highlighter? Thats the idea here, these things glow in the light, for a nice accurate depiction of the colors, goto a hardware store and pickup some florescent spraypaint and you are on the right track.

Texture
These are like a perfectly tweaked Alchemy, they are stiffer and more plasticy but not to the point where they slice you open when using them, once they break in, they just feel fluffier but never lose any mass.

Tension
The tension in these is near perfect, I actually am in love with these strings, I don’t have the problem I have with Alchemys, where opening the loop to put the string on the bearing will leave an unclean twist in the string which gives the string a rumble strip effect. Instead these are a bit tougher to open up but they twist themselves almost forcefully back together.

Play
These are the best strings in my opinion, they can do everything exceptionally well wether fresh or broken in. They make a nice WOOSH noise in the air, they generally like to be big loops in the air.

Durability
These are some tough strings, again I got one stuck between the spacer and the bearing and guess what, they began to fray a little bit but nothing looks to have been actually cut or broken. Amazing.

Del Norte Double Wides

Looks
The colorway I received was actually kind of dreary, Grey/Light Blue/Blue/White, Yeah 4 colors, take the Homboldt Honeys and double them up, these things are THICK.

Texture
Very elastic, and puffy, they have some weight to them but they aren’t rough on the fingers at all.

Tension
Tension holds up pretty well, out of all of the once I played here though these seemed to have the least favorable tension, they are not bad, still above average just not on par with the rest of them.

Play
They play pretty floaty for their weight, I think the elasticity of the string overall helps add to the effect.

Durability
No Breaks, but seriously, that is to be expected with these beefy beasts.

Triangle Cops

Looks
White/Green, a good solid color combo, they look a bit cleaner than the rest just because of the amount of white I believe. Nothing eye popping here just a nice clean color combo.

Texture
I honestly didn’t like these too much, they seemed a bit harsh on the fingers, I’m not talking saw through your finger rough, just not that pleasant to run your fingers acrossed, after breaking them in, the feeling was still there, only slightly deadened. Sorry Jim :frowning:

Tension
These things want to be TIGHT, they tend to twist tighter during play, nothing unmanageable just something of note.

Play
They play fine if the tension is right, and if you can stand the rubbing on the strings on your fingers.

Durability
Never snapped a one, could be because I didn’t really enjoy them too much. :frowning:

Sonoma Valley Girls

Looks
These things stand out, it is like putting bling on your string, these feature a metallic thread. I got some Blue/Silver, and some Green/Gold. The color combos are solid, The metallic thread kinda makes you look at it twice, it just seems odd to me to have shiny string :stuck_out_tongue:

Texture
These are a bit rough at first, I am pretty sure it is from the metallic thread, It isn’t as bothersome as the Triangle Cops but something to note, however once they are broken in, they are soft as can be.

Tension
Like the vast majority, no complaints here. :smiley:

Play
These play like any other Poly only you kow better, they gots BLING!

Durability
Still playing the Green/Gold one on my MMZ (Minus Mike FHZ) no discoloration, no fraying, or stretching which is pretty weird.

===================================================
Conclusion

Ok, I know those seemed to shorten up as the list went on, this was the first review that took me more than one session, I got too tired last night so I had to pickup where I left off today :stuck_out_tongue: Anyhow, definately some quality product here, each string type seems to have a different personality, They are pretty affordable being anywhere from $3-4 per 5 Pack. You get to pick a colorway. They are VERY durable, they hold tension very well and Buddy Jim is a nice guy, Thanks man for the string and letter. I hope to be ordering some string from you as soon as my current stockpile is spent :wink: :smiley:

1 Like

Really nice detailed review

Thanks, I wonder why this thread has so few views, maybe they have been reviewed too many times :stuck_out_tongue: Meh, w/e.

The real question is, Buddy Jim, no comments? :stuck_out_tongue:

is that how he does it?

:o I don’t care if I am late on seeing this I suppose I should say epic thank you for the review,