D-bearing vs. C-bearing realization.

Ok, so when I hear people talking about D-bearing yoyo’s, there’s usually something mentioned about them maybe not handling as many string layers and things like that.

Here’s what I’ve realized: D-bearings are actually WIDER than C-bearings, do people realize this?
If so, why wouldn’t it handle everything and more that a C-bearing would?

So why are C-bearings so much more popular? I can’t think of any advantage to a bearing being ‘taller’. It just means less string wraps, and more overall friction.

Further more, It makes me super pumped that I ordered a YYR Six yesterday, and makes me want more d-bearing yoyo’s (St.Eel is my only one for now.)

That’s not true.

A and D bearings can handle just as many string layers as C bearings.

The Exit 8 and Spyy Radian Mk2 play just as good.

You might want to look into Foxland Precision yoyos.

All their yoyos except for the honey badger have d bearings.

D bearings are wider by such a marginal amount that it doesn’t even matter. Henceforth in this post, I’ll be referring to them as the same width.

The comparison, in actuality, has little to do with the bearing width, but the gap width of the yoyos themselves. Back when D bearings were more popular, it’d seem that more designers had a brain between their ears as opposed to a clod of dirt because they knew that utilizing the entire width of the bearing in an excessive gap was a bad idea.

Nowadays I just see yoyos with proverbial training wheels in the form of a gap the width of the bearing they chose, and that’s unfortunate, because they play terribly. This applies to any bearing size, my most notable example being how the Slithering Hippo AA7 absolutely bastardized A bearings.

1 Like

I’ve heard very good things about the aa7… Also, why is using all of the bearings width a bad idea?

Personally, I’ve liked all the small bearing throws I’ve tried quite a bit. Unfortunately, small bearings got a reputation as being “snaggy” it seems, but I think the problem was with the response system used. A lot of the small bearing yoyos I’ve seen use a really wide response pad, which isn’t needed because small bearings naturally bind tighter anyways.