Custom Torched TiHawk

I was going to post this in the G2 thread but I can’t post more then 2 times in a row so go over there and leave a comment lol

Here’s a video of me working on a custom TiHawk

12 Likes

I’m digging my TiHawk these are so good.

2 Likes

Which thread?

Can you torch using just a gas stove? Or do you need a handheld propane torch to do it properly and direct the heat to just the right places?

1 Like

It looks like he’s using it to distribute heat as evenly as he can (especially once the temperature of color change has been reached). I’ve been watching it for a bit for technique.

In theory a gas stove would work too, yes.

I guess the stove could work. If you’re going to order a torch get a map gas one, so it burns more consistent

3 Likes

Map gas rigs aren’t very pricy. I’d spring for one if I was gonna be trying to anno a titanium throw. Seems worth it to me

3 Likes

I tried this on the gas stove and got mostly… bronze?

I think I need something that can generate a lot more heat in a much more localized area!

8 Likes

Get a plumbers propane torch. Relatively easy to do

4 Likes

Yeah this was just a test. Gas stove works fine if you want bronze color, though you’d need to make sure it heats evenly.

1 Like

You can remove the cap the displaces the flame on your stove and it turns it into a torch. It might be a little sketch, but I’ve done it with other steel projects before I got a propane torch

2 Likes

I have no idea what I’m doooooiiiinnnggg

Heated excessively, you get a bronzing type effect, that’s what you’re seeing on the bottom there. If you vary the temps you get rainbows, but it’s … tricky.

12 Likes

:joy: Oh man, I see a couple of B grades

2 Likes

These are all A grades. There are only A grades in my world. B grades don’t exist.

6 Likes

Here’s a closeup of how that one @G2_Jake did came out, @smonuts sold it and posted a pic, wanted to mirror it here as well

8 Likes

Also I guess you can see the heat range to color relationship in Titanium on a titanium exhaust? From right (coolest, gold) to left (hottest, blue) here:

That light gold is definitely what you begin with when you start out heating the Ti enough, I can verify that 100%.

3 Likes

My torch finger has been itching. Just saying.

9 Likes

cannot wait to see more of your blow-torch work on the vlog

2 Likes

Would you say the splotches are from not getting the halves cleaned enough?

3 Likes