Custom machining for you. (Mostly Free)

Congrats on everything! Good to see you’re still doing something you love!

2 Likes

Holy crap

2 Likes

I already have two people who I am working with to try machining yoyos again. I will post a new thread with photos and probably a youtube video of the results.

2 Likes

Crazy to see you here! Been so long. Seems you’re doing great which is awesome. I’ll have to hit you up soon if there’s anything I can think of that I’d like to get done.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, you’re probably already aware of this but your blog site isn’t running anymore, which isn’t surprising given it’s been 6 years

1 Like

Good to see you Joey. Hopefully 2sick is selling a ton of yoyos. Things are going good, but I was hoping by now I would have my own cnc machine and be making yoyos full time. Haha

But it has been difficult to get a space big enough for my own machine and finding one I could buy. I am still just using other people’s machines during off hours.

Thanks for mentioning the blog being down. It has been years so I will have to post new photos somewhere else. I got a couple designs to test out. I have about 6 years more experience making parts and I am a much better machinist now. So I am curious to return to an old project and do a comparison.

Josh

3 Likes

So for my design to get made, all i have to pay for is materials and shipping?

and what dimensions should the material have?

You are brave offering to do this with a 1-month old in your house!

It was a blast reading through this whole thread and discovering that this is the origin story for 2Sick yoyos! Joey designs some great stuff.

1 Like

So I already have two people who want me to try machining their yoyos. I don’t want to get over extended on machining yoyos. So I am not going to accept any other designs until after I give those an try those two designs out. That being said sine SpyseRice was the one to raise me from the grave you get a free pass.

You would have to get a 3d model of your yoyo design to send to me. Typically this is a .step or .iges file. You could also send me a .DXF of the cross section of the yoyo and I could work with that. This is what any professional shop would require in order to make your yoyo as well. Also, while many shops will make a part from the CAD file alone, I would highly encourage you to make a print of the part. The print would have several views of the design, dimensions, details like thread size, blasting, anodizing, and tolerances. It also typically has your company name, part number, revision material spec and any other details critical to making your part. The print is the contract and when something goes wrong without a print you could be in trouble. The 3d model is the perfect shape you want, but in the real world nothing is perfect. The print says the worst case parts you will accept. /End Engineering Rant

As for material. I can machine 6061 and 7075 aluminum like butter. Some stainless steels and most any plastic. I would like to machine some titanium but that stuff is more pricey.

6 Likes

MarkD,

I dont know if I was part of 2Sick’s origin. But I did make some stuff for him. Stickers, leather keychains, some shirts too. I never machined a yoyo for him though. I tried but my equipment / skill was not good enough at the time. We will see if I have improved my skill enough to do it 6 years later.

Having the 1 month old in the house is not too bad because he cant crawl or walk. The 14 month old is the trouble maker. He is running all over and grabbing everything. lol

4 Likes

Do you have an example of what this might look like for a yoyo? When I had something made in the past (at FPM) they took the .DXF file without any additional details - I think this is because they have their own bearing seat/yoyo knowledge that they apply to the random files that people send them. To keep it short, I haven’t learned that part of the process yet.

Gotcha, I think I misread or misunderstood one of the earlier posts then. It’s still really cool how much you collaborated!

I have a 3 year old and a 6 year old here. They mostly stay out of my yoyo stuff, but my younger daughter sometimes likes to secretly “play” with a titanium yoyo.

And you can just call me Mark, D is my last initial!

1 Like

We did orthographic drawings and stuff in drafting & design, is that what you’re talking about?

Mark,

I am an engineer and work in medical devices. So we have to make sure what we do is right. Yoyos are a much more forgiving industry. But that being said when a problem happens what do you do? If I ask you to make a yoyo with a 54mm diameter and the shop makes 50 of them but they come out of the machine with a diameter of 55mm. What do you do? is 55mm acceptable? what about 56, or 60 or 90. If you only supply the dxf that shows the cross section you have not specified what your acceptable range is.

Now my guess is people that get yoyo made, work with shops that make a lot of yoyos and are good at it. So you tend to get parts that are good enough without writing all the details down. But if a problem happens what do you do? You hope the shop will work with you to fix the problem. And for small runs of 10 yoyos that is probably not an issue because the cost is low. But my guess is the guys making hundreds of yoyos have all the details in a production print. A print that says what the maximum deviation for nominal is.

josh

4 Likes

ahhh that makes sense. I recall in a video on yoyo design by ZachTheSloth that bearings are made with a maximum deviation of .0025". How much of a deviation is acceptable in yiur experience?

So I mostly make parts for medical devices. We have tolerances that range from ±0.01 down to ±0.0002 inches. Most stuff we do is ±0.005. If we know surface doesn’t matter for the function of the part we double it. If it does matter we shrink it down.

I dont know for a yoyo what range would cause vibration. But when I machine the first parts I will measure them and post some details. Just because it is interesting.

josh

6 Likes

Hi,

I’ve been looking at yoyo’s i enjoy and trying to come up with a design i really liked.

Thoughts on this?

1 Like

Honestly, while i enjoy yoyos a lot my skills are limited. I can do about half of the advanced tricks listed on yoyo expert. But I have seen how awesome the people in this community are. I dont really have any friends in Pittsburgh that are into yoyos. When I started with yoyos I was in Kansas and my friend got me interested. I would do tricks with him and we talked about what we were working on learning.

But the past 6 years or so I dont have anyone to hang out with and throw. So I cant really give any advice about the shape of a yoyo and if it would be good. I think there are lots of forum posts and people that can give you better advice. If you get a dxf or 3d model I can give you advice about manufacturing.

5 Likes

No problem! There’s another thread on yoyo design I was also planning on posting in. It’s called YoYo CAD & Prototyping Adventures, you should check it out if you haven’t read it.

I’m the president of the yoyo club I started at my school, and there’s a guy I know who plans meet-ups every 2nd sunday of each month, so it’s nice to have a community to get involved with. I’m sure if you post a topic on Pennsylvanian throwers you’ll find some people in your area to share tricks and yoyos with.

1 Like

Go to SW Randall yoyo club, lots of great yoyoers there.