Custom machining for you. (Mostly Free)

Not much experience taking pics of yoyos, but photographer here.

Light tent I have is by cowboy studio (can be found on amazon). Also, several options for DIY light tents that are pretty easy. Biggest thing will be white balance to control color cast.

I’m willing to help if you need any photography tips or have questions!

http://www.joshupdyke.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Gambit.jpg

Josh got some serious skill! He laser etched the Gambit Logo on my Gambit! Only one side is focused but it looks amazing. This guy is the real deal :slight_smile:

Expect a Review when I get the yoyos back to review his powdercoats and other work!

1 Like

I wonder if I got my Zeekio Core Anodized Half Blue Half yellow, if he could do adventure time engravings… :wink:

I have to say that that is one of the best logos I’ve ever seen.

…bump

Hi everyone. Sorry that it has been a while since I posted. I bought my new house and was moving in. Wow does that ruin any chance of having free time to work on projects. However, I am starting to get settled in to the new house and should be able to do some new things. I have more space at home and can start bringing my tools home from work and setting them up here. It also means I have room for that anodizing set up that I want to buy.

Also, I got a small light tent, lights and a tripod for the camera. I am planning on setting up a dedicated area for photography. So that will mean better pictures of the work that I do.

Josh

1 Like

Sounds awesome Josh! Can’t wait to see what you cook up next. Hope you like your new house

Thanks. The new house is great. It is much more space and a half acre yard. I have lots of plans for that, but those are not really yoyo related. The only bad thing is the house does not have a garage…yet. My spring project is to build a 2 or 3 car garage. :slight_smile: That will give me room for the cnc lathe that I want to get. lol.

Josh

Whenever you get a CNC I am driving to Pittsburgh and we are going to have a fun weekend of yoyo making and doing other awesome yoyo things…

I’m tagging along…

I have been working on a design for a cnc lathe. Just not sure where to capital for building it will come come. It would be a big project, but at the end of it I would have a cnc lathe. I am working with another guy on the automatic too changer that can hold 8 tools. I will keep working on it and depending on how things go I might just dive in and start ordering the parts. I have a few other projects in the works and if those pan out well they might fund the cnc lathe project.

As always I will be sure to take lots of pictures and post about the whole thing.

Josh

So is this project still going? I’m a high school student interested in turning some designs into yoyos in the future :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

though the fact that this is 6 years later doesn’t feel too comforting :neutral_face:

2 Likes

Yeah

2 Likes

Hello there. I kinda feel like a zombie being raised from the dead. lol. I can’t believe someone resurrected a forum thread I posted from 6 years ago. I also can’t believe I am 6 years older. WOW.

I will jump to the point and say I am still willing to help people with custom work.

My life has changed a lot in some ways. When I started this thread I had just bought a house and got access to a machine shop. Well in the past six years, my fiancee move to the US, we got married and we now have 3 kids. The most recent one was born just over 1 month ago. I spent a lot of time in the machine shop learning everything I could. The projects which people from this community sent to me helped me grow my skills. I convinced my work to set up our own prototyping shop and I now run that.

I still have access to a lot of tools and am happy to help out people in the community. I started my own business and designed two products which are on the market and selling slowly. It is really hard to work a day job, have a family life and start your own company on the side. But I enjoy every minute of it. Some of the project I did for people on this community were the most fun I ever had.

So if you have ideas for cool projects let me know and I will try to help you out. I dont have as much free time as I used to have but I am still here and can help. Below an update of my capabilities.

Most metal and wood working tools. I machine parts for work almost every day using a Manual Mill, Manual Lathe and CNC mill with 4th axis. We should have a cnc lathe early next year.

I lost access to the powder coating equipment, but still have all my annodizing equipment. I also have more access to a laser for etching parts or cutting plastic yoyo stands. I will say that annodizing is an art form and while I am confident in solid colors the amazing acid splashes that people do are not so easy. I would love to spend some more time doing some of that work though. So if you are willing to send a yoyo my way I am willing to practice on it.

Still have access to sandblasting equipment. I have my own vinyl cutter to make stickers or the stencil for screen printing. yomagic (2sick Joey) was probably my best customer. I did some yoyo work, vinyl decals, leather keychains, and even a small run of custom shirts. Some of my work is even in the yoyoexpert shop right now. Just search for keychains. haha

12 Likes

Aw nice man! Not many people offer these kinds of services these days so that’s great to see!

3 Likes

Im still here. haha

4 Likes

I really like to work with people from this community. I do my best to help people for a fair price. Sometimes that is free when I get to practice on their parts, or it might be just the cost of materials so I can expand my abilities. Sometimes I do charge people a fair price. I think most of the projects have turned out really great. But sometimes things don’t work out as well.

I know two projects that I did my best but things just didnt work out well for the other person. It actually still bugs me when I see a reminder of those projects because I feel like I let those people down. But in the end I can’t guarantee anything and I just have to do the best I can to make it right for those people.

10 Likes

Heyyyy I remember this guy! Good stuff. Man it’s really been a long time

2 Likes

What a wonderful service to the community. :slight_smile:

1 Like