Curse of the “Check THIS out!”

I’m turning 29 on Friday and for As long as I could remember I’ve been plagued with the curse of the
“Hey! Check THIS out :sunglasses:
In which I CONFIDENTLY proclaim for someone to “check out” what “cool thing” I could do ONLY to not be able to do it it front of anyone as consistently as I do by myself :man_facepalming:t5:

In all seriousness does this happen to anyone else ?:joy: my brothers and Have joked about it for years!:rofl:

13 Likes

All the time! I teach middle schoolers and they always want to see tricks (usually DNA/tornado bind). At home on my own I nail my tricks pretty comfortably, but when someone wants to see a trick I mess it up. :rofl:

Just means I need to practice in front of people more often.

6 Likes

This happens to me all the time when I’m trying to show my dad new trick. I could have it hit it 10 times in a row and then he watches and it looks like I’m fighting with a yo-yo string😂

6 Likes

I believe “check this out” is classified under the “Famous Last Words” category in the book “Bears: How and When to Poke Them!”

6 Likes

With my wife often. When I learn a sick new bind I always want to show her… Only to fail it five times in a row. She so patient with me though and always waits until I finally land it.

4 Likes

For me, “check this out” is the same as filming a trick or getting on stage, all of a sudden it is like I’m blindfolded, wearing hockey gloves, and throwing with my non-dominant hand.

6 Likes

Every time I want to show my wife a new trick I’ve learned…

1 Like

This happened to me for a week straight trying to do one-handed kickflips. Landed them probably about 70% of the time when no one was looking, and 0% when they were. The only one who saw me land one in a full 8 days was by 4 year old who could NOT have been less impressed. I literally did it three times in a row while walking behind my wife, and as soon as she turned around I missed.

4 Likes

follow up quote “No, seriously!”

3 Likes

My least favorite follow up, from the audience, “is that it?”

</3

3 Likes

YEAH, well NOW watch THIS! :eyes: walks the dog

3 Likes

The wife is more impressed with any kind of hops. Which, luckily, I am terrible at ;_;

1 Like

This literally happens to me when I’m out in public and slaying some of my best tricks and all of a sudden someone comes up to me and stares at my tricks and sooner or later I find myself going 10 times slower so I can land the trick perfectly and finishing it off with a dna which sometimes I can’t land if someone is staring at me the whole time :joy::joy:

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl: my wife ONLY likes hops!!!

4 Likes

Yes yes yes

It’s been my experience that most non-yoyo players have no idea what they are looking at when we do tricks. “It just looks like string flying around”. Most people are curious but get overwhelmed by the complexity. If I get asked I normally do a Mach 5 with a Pop N Fresh and 80% of the time they are happy. Another 15% will then ask if I can do Rock the Baby. With the other 5% asking a few more questions and then walking away.

7 Likes

good point, it’s not like you’re doing it for ‘clicks’

3 Likes