Curious to make my own response pads?

So I’m at my local hardware store and I found flowable silicone would this work ??

2 Likes

The stuff for windshield works best. Here’s a picture of what I’ve used in the past.

The key is self leveling. So usually thats thinner viscosity

1 Like

Can you break that down for me please my brain is kinda fried sorry :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Go to YouTube.

In the search bar, type in >>>> ‘Silicone yoyo brake pads’

Hit enter>

And fry your brain some more.

You will see more info than you can use in this lifetime

The first page will look like this>

1 Like

This thread got me wondering if I can 3D print response pads with flexible filament… :thinking:

8 Likes

Too late :exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head: haha jk I will totally check that out :wink:

I asked my brother-in-law if it was possible to 3-D print a cheeseburger?

He said the only problem with that, is that you need a cheeseburger to feed the printer so It can produce a cheeseburger.

So I just bought a cheeseburger. And stared at a 3-D catalog while I was eating it. Much easier.

5 Likes

:joy: I love cheeseburgers!

4 Likes

They have actually started to do 3D printed meat

1 Like

Cork style response pads akin to the break pads we had in our bumblebees back in the day?

Sounds great in theory, but would it work in principle? My thoughts are no as the breakpad worked as a tug response pad with the multiple cork pieces catching the string/bearing for a bind free response. Also, if cork alone was done in a 19mm ring response pad it likely would slip on 99 out of 100 binds as it does not have the grip of silicone or similar grippy materials.

That’s what my thoughts are, but I want someone to tell me I am wrong as I’d love to see cork response make a comeback.

1 Like

What about 3d printed starburst that fits in 19mm response grooves?

7 Likes

4 Likes

:neutral_face::neutral_face::neutral_face:……. I’m never eating a cheeseburger again :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I see your point. But he’s not feeding in a 19mm pad to make a 19mm pad. He’s also feeding in a cheaper material than adhesive silicone sheet to make something that could potentially do the same job.

2 Likes

It’s consistently thinking of ideas like this that will inevitably lead to really great ideas and innovations.

2 Likes

yes. this silicone should work fine. i use “flowable” silicone when i do this but i imagine it’s just a thinner, easier flowing verion of that.

as stated, there are a plethora of videos available to send you down this path.

good luck.

fwiw, i like the response from this silicone. others insist on different formulas. try them out. it’s a pretty inexpensive way to tune you r throws.’

kgb

2 Likes

Not sure you were paying attention, Glen, but I gave him a link idea to answer the original question he was dealing with. His mission to apply silicone to his yoyo.

The conversation hadn’t shifted to 3D printing or anything else at the time I responded.

So…. Not quite sure why your response was needed when it doesn’t address the question I answered?

I must have misunderstood you. I thought you were suggesting that using flexible filament to print response pads was like feeding in cheese burgers to print cheese burgers.

1 Like