Counterweights as Begleri

I’m kind of new to Begleri, and I was wondering if stringing two Yoyo counterweights together would work. Would they be too big or heavy?

2 Likes
2 Likes

Quick answer, no they won’t be too big, but they will definitely be way, way too light for playing. The size would depend quite a bit on the type of counterweight, but most of them shouldn’t come in a size that is too big so yeah. Pretty much all counterweights would be too light as belgeri though, you will need to add weight to it using ball bearings or beads.

1 Like

?? counterweights aren’t going to be too light for begleri. My favorite begleri sets and the players I really like mostly play stuff in the 7-8 gram weight range. The average counterweight is going to be around 10g, that’s already heavier than the sets I like.

Weight is just a preference.

3 Likes

Wow you play with extremely light begleris. Mine are about 27g per bead and I see lots of begleri averaging around that weight. It’s also recommended to not go below 26g when you’re just starting out as well as light begleris are very fast and aren’t easy to control. But like you said, weight is just a preference so each to their own.

1 Like

I’m assuming this is fine to mention since they’re not a yoyo retailer at all, but if you look at aroundsquare most of their sets are around 8-12g per end. It’s really not abnormal, and it’s perfectly fine for newer players. Zipline also did a collab with them, and all of those sets were between 8-11g per end.

Interesting, I guess things have changed a lot since I started, because back then everything was around 20-30g. I haven’t been in the loop since then so yeah.

I guess I’ll give it a shot, see how it goes.

You might like the new knuckleYo by ZeroGravity ask @jeduardo for details.
I was playing around with them last night… they can be set up as Begleri as well… the SS beads weight in at 22gm each. Roller, Micro Yoyo and begliri in one. Switching from one to the other is pretty easy one you do it a couple of times.

5 Likes

Wow that’s incredible! 3 skill toys in one, just plain genius.

1 Like

Though sold out now, Rain City Skills made their Rain Drops to be used as both. I believe a two weight set was sold for Belgleri use.

I think a weight in the 10g range per bead will be fine for anyone who doesn’t have a strong preference.

The only concern I would have is whether the bore is big enough for typical Begleri cord if it was only designed with yoyo string in mind.

Link on YYE: Rain Drop Counterweight by Rain City – YoYoExpert

1 Like

I used the chords i get from MFD on the KnuckleYo and i used the thinnest one… not sure the exact measurements… but i was able to thread it through and pull it with a tweezer easily out the other side.

2 Likes

That’s interesting but not surprising about the KnuckleYo. Sounds like a pretty astonishing amount of capability built into those.

I just tried the smaller width MFD cord on the few drilled-through counterweights that I have. I assume it’s “275” sized.

It easily fits the Duncan Rapid Ball and a PoryKon (V? - has a bearing).

The bore is too narrow on the DocPop Pawn.

3 Likes

@AKYOYOMIKE probably you used a paracord thinner than the 275 because that one worked with the prototype but because I had to put a stop to avoid the axle to go to the side of the cup, the 275 did not work the best. Man, so glad to see you found a paracord that worked!!

1 Like