Could the future be plastic for Spinworthy?

How about plastic Buttons?

19 Likes

That’s very cool too, but blood cells are the most ascetically pleasing to me.

2 Likes

Not me.

How does the take-apart/gap adjustment work on these plastics?

1 Like

I’m putting my wood Spinworthy’s away in a safe! They might just become valuable treasures one day if plastic is going to become your material of choice. Not opposed, just love the wood.

2 Likes

I will still always make wooden yoyos, I just think that plastic could be more of my 'thing"simply because it’s unique to me.

All I’m really saying is that I will begin to invest more energy exploring plastic as a medium and aim for some releases.

4 Likes

Nothing particularly elegant, you simply pull the yoyo apart to widen the gap or take it apart or squeeze it together to make the gap more narrow.

I wouldn’t try this with your Beater though. Two elephants couldn’t pull yours apart.

6 Likes

I have to be honest. I’m skeptical.

2 Likes

It works pretty well so far.

4 Likes

That’s really cool then!

3 Likes

I’m not sure if it’s something I’d want to do many times though. I suppose there could be a chance it would mess with the tolerance fit eventually.

4 Likes

I used to like the idea of adjusting, but lately I prefer to just have the yoyo be what it is, as long as it works well; which yours do. If it works, and doesn’t soon wear down, it would be cool to have one that does adjust, though!

5 Likes

Had I not just bought a few at the end of the year, I would have totally jumped on this!

1 Like

Missed this thread while I was on hi-yo-tus (get it?), and just want to say that the polycarb Knick-Knack is a treasure, and I’d love to see them in more hands. I truly believe its performance is is 98% of any wood SW I own, and portability/cool factor more than makes up for the missing 2%. Also the fact that it took to dye was chef’s kiss.

5 Likes

I must have missed it too. Would love a clear PC KNack and a (color) plastic Button.

The KNick-KNack is the next fixed axle I will be working to get a run out. I would have done it sooner, but the polishing to get maximum gloss takes almost as long as turning it, so I’m currently trying to figure out ways of making that operation faster.

The aim is to get a run of them out within the next 2 months.

8 Likes

This is a completely uneducated response, but would just turning frosted polycarbonate and leaving it with the frosted look be easier than making them clear and polished? I quite like the look of frosted polycarbonate yoyos, but I have no idea how they’re produced.

4 Likes

Yep, but its kind of ugly. Frosted is fine but it needs more of a blast look than a turned look.

6 Likes