Could a yoyo really be worth 400+$?

this more than anything.

Iā€™m one of those Guyā€™s that pays a lot for my yos but I collect yos as well as plays with them and yes some of them ur just paying because they can get the money from u bit I am starting to build my own brand for my friends and the cost me $50 in raw material I build from scratch on a hand lathe it can take me 6 or 7 hr. Most high end are hand. Made. And Iā€™m building plastic high end my cost. Are low although Iā€™m not getting bulk price
My cost are still not that much diffrent. But Iā€™m not paying $400 for a yo and ill trade up for for the ones I canā€™t afford but Iā€™m a hardcore collected wth 370 yos at last count inducing yo from private. Collection of well known people in yo world with the paperwork to prove it that a lot of money for those just remember its a toy just have fun with theme that what its all about if ur not have furn what the point you can do the smell tricks with $40 yoyo as a $500 yoyo.

The thing that surprises me most is that the tattoo edition is Sold Out! Really I never thought someone would buy that yoyo. For $400 I expect it to fly and make pizzas.

Very insightful posts from yoyodoc and Stookie.

When one understands that everyone else thinks we are silly for spending more than $20 on any yoyo, youā€™ll understand why we shouldnā€™t judge others who spend $400+ on their yoyos.

It is all simply a matter of scale and perspective.

wut
Sometimes I can get the jist of what you are trying to say, but not here.

A guy I know is/used to be YYEā€™s best customer.
This is because he buys nearly 3 of every yoyo on the site :stuck_out_tongue:

Can I meet this person?

Come to the Allyoyo yoyo class in Phoenix, AZ at Samurai Comics on Monday, and heā€™s usually there.

Keep in mind that yo-yos are just like any other industry, the price is determined by what customers are willing to pay for it. that being said I am surprised that no one has touched on the fact that exotic material yo-yos do not HAVE to be priced at $400. One company has already proven thisā€¦ One Drop. The Sovereign was only $180 when it was released back in 2010. Yes that is still quite a bit of money but no where near the $400+ that Oxy and YYF had charged for their titaniums at the time.

As for the reasons to use such exotic metals, it isnā€™t about the bragging rights, more about getting using the unique properties that the metals had to offer. One Drop showed a Sovereign half that they had cut in half, the walls were about the thickness of a credit card. Doing the same with aluminum, even 7075, would be next to impossible. The walls would bend like pop cans. The Magnesium Ernie used in the Magnum allowed for crazy designs and weight distributions thanks to the fact that it is just as strong as aluminum while being two thirds the density. The reason why magnesium yo-yos cost more is because the metal is not easy to work with. You have to take extra precautions so you donā€™t ignite the metal shavings.

All that being said, these exotics are just as people have saidā€¦ a luxury item. Honestly I have just as much fun throwing my sonā€™s YYJ Classic as I do my Sovereign. Do I regret paying the asking price for the Sov? Hell no, it plays great and has a unique feel. Even so, I think people need to worry more about the act of throwing and less about the cost of the yo-yo being used. It is human nature for people to want to splurge on their passions, yo-yo players are no different. While it may be silly to some, to others it is a luxury purchase for the hobby that they consider a passion.

The history behind me buying mine is strange, but I would have to agree that I bought mine ā€œjust because.ā€ I bought it without ever throwing one. I liked the looks of it, and I bought it, just that simple. Iā€™m a collector type. Of course, I heard some great things about it and all, but the bottom line is simply that. I bought a few, so I could use one as a beater. Not to get all personal, but I called out sick from work 4 times in 9 years, so I had a ton of sick time accrued. I sold 10 days worth this year for cash, as Iā€™m allowed to do, and bought myself a few. It was a nice treat for making a sacrifice over the years. After owning it, no regrets at all, and Iā€™d do it all over again. Itā€™s a fantastic yo-yo, and I believe it is worth the price, not because of what it is made of, or how it is made, or what it does, but the enjoyment I get out of it. Everyone sets limits on how much they would pay for a yo-yo, and for some of us, the only limits are how much we can afford at the moment.

1 Like

Also the titaniums made by kyo are specifically tuned to produce a Tone (musical note) when you hit them on anything. canā€™t remember the exact specifics but I thought it was cool

As for the Duncan MG. Itā€™s produced by S.kon and that alone says everything. Heā€™s been the winnier of the world mod contest more than anyone else and itā€™s because of just how ridiculously smooth his yoyos are coupled with how creative they are. The Nostalgia made by him cost 5K but it takes 5 months to make due to how much he has to tune since thereā€™s so many parts. If you ever get to throw it you canā€™t even tell itā€™s at the end of the string itā€™s so smooth.

1 Like

^^^^Yep, thatā€™s the pic I was talking about. I must have overlooked where David or Shawn had put it on the One Drop Flickr.

It is funny. I have played quite a few of the titanium a out there and the least expensive of all is still one of the most comfortable and best playing of the lot. Followed very closely behind by 3Yo3ā€™s Ti5.

Dang, it looks like it would be crushed if you hit a wall with it.

Iā€™ve hit it on walls, chairs, wood floor, and desks, and it hasnā€™t even made a scratch.

I guess the thing I find most strange about this statement is that it presumes someone who pays $400 for a yo-yo has bragging rights to begin with. If I owned two Oxy Tis and Paid $800 and the next guy paid $2000 on a case of CLYW and One Dropsā€¦who has the most right to brag about spending on yo-yos? A bright person would know that the guy with the case of CLYWs could instead have 5 Oxy Tis, but for his own reasons, chose not to, and he has the CLYWs instead. The person who has the Oxy Ti is no more excessive than the other guy, arguably less so. For some, it is quality over quantity, for some quantity over quality, and people like me who buy the spectrum. If I see it, and I want it, and I can afford to get it, I do so. As for ā€œbragging,ā€ Iā€™m an adult and it serves no purpose for me, and I donā€™t know any adult who cares about my Oxy Ti. If I felt like earning any bragging rights Iā€™d buy a newer car or a newer house, better jewelry, but not a $400 yo-yo. To a lot of working people $400 is not a lot of money. I guess Iā€™m too old to be concerned about who likes or dislikes anything I own. If I mention that I own a $400 yo-yo, itā€™s spoken because itā€™s relevant to the topic of conversation, and it is a fact. If someone interprets it as ā€œyou have one I donā€™t,ā€ itā€™s them who needs to grow up and see if for just what it is. Iā€™ve never viewed someoneā€™s collection and thought they owned yo-yos for bragging rights. It is just not an adult perspective in my opinion. Kids are into bragging rights, adults do what makes them happy, nevermind what anyone else thinks. Thatā€™s when maturity has set in anyway.

3 Likes

This turned out to be a really nice thread ;D

Now I kind of want a Ti yoyoā€¦ kind of not, but those super thin walls are impeccable.