Core Co response pad substitute

So I have been searching and have seen different answers for this.

Are there any substitutes for Core Co pads like used on the Weekender and 650b?

2 Likes

Duncan is making new pads that should fit just fine.

5 Likes

I have a few pairs and ive been super tempted to try them out on one of my weekenders

Duncan’s new broad pads for small bearings (they ship with the Freehand) are a really great alternative to Core Co pads. Dropped a set into my Superblack Weekender and they play really nice.

They’re slightly thinner than the Core Co pads so they may leave a slight recess (i like this because it makes the response a little slippier). Additionally the pad’s inner diameter was EVER SO SLIGHTLY smaller than the inner post on the yoyo so it took careful alignment to get a clean stick.

Overall a great, accessible replacement for core co so far.

6 Likes

I already got some sets of these delivered. Good to see they got the Weekender!

so little update on these pads: initial reaction to them was positive, but after a few weeks of playing with them I find them just inconsistent enough to be frustrating. i tend to be fairly lenient with my response preferences, and actually would prefer more of a tug response than a snappy response as long as it’s consistent and reliable. The additional recess on these pads makes the response just a little bit less predictable, and sometimes on STM it will grab loose and late, causing it to kick WAY forward and lose my rhythm.

not mad at having these in an absolute pinch, but iam very happy i have like 10 pairs of core co pads. should last me forever with how rarely i need to change pads.

That is disappointing. I have a few sets of the Duncan’s. I guess I’ll have those if I ever need them, but I’ll probably try flowable before I use them.

Oh man, that sucks to hear. I just ordered some of the Duncan pads for exactly this and they arrived today. How did you go about getting the Core Co pads?

do you play with grease or thick lube (also @BassistDotNerd)? if you play with grease you might find a very different experience, I use thick lube which doesnt cause as much friction, so my response is already more slippy than most.

1 Like

I use silicone grease. I wonder if the new weekenders will use Core Co still.

1 Like

That makes me feel better. I pack the bearings with grease.

1 Like

How much grease do you typically use?

A good bit. Pretty much just fill the bearing and wipe off the excess.

1 Like

i bought a bunch when they existed lol

Hah good idea. That’s why I just stocked up on the RBC pads.

1 Like

I have 2 extra sets of CoreCo pads I bought here a while ago. I wish I had bought more now. But @DocPop must have some if he’s doing a new run of weekenders, right?

I think the CoreCo pad channel might be too shallow and wide for flowable silicon, but my weekender and daytripper pads are still good.

1 Like

Is Core Co no more now? Or just up in the air where they are.

Hiatus, 2020 put the brand on the backburner. Late last year they reiterated that they aren’t dead and they have future plans.

1 Like

Ah I see. I hope the new run of Weekenders have something cooked up for more accessible pads.

I reached out to CoreCo a few weeks ago about ordering stock for the upcoming runs of Weekenders. So I’m covered for that release. I’m curious how the Duncan pads would feel in a Weekender. I’ll have to try that.

3 Likes