Convince me to buy fancy "boutique" string

My guess is it’s largely poly, or 50/50 maybe. It feels like a really whippy poly. I wouldn’t even guess it was nylon at all based on how it plays and feels. It’s not degrading like poly though. It’s got a new poly feel at about 30-40 mins.

1 Like

When I made the switch to fancy “boutique” strings I instantly became a better player, I noticed more girls checking me out, and I had a better overall feeling about myself deep inside. I highly recommend fancy “boutique” strings!

15 Likes

The OD uses a different type of nylon, the strings have more of a Dragon-type stiff feel at first. It isn’t the wooly nylon (Airetic) that you’re probably thinking of.

2 Likes

Hmmmm, I’m not sure my wife is going to love that.

8 Likes

I’m not a huge believer of boutique string either. BUT, I have to say YYSL makes outstanding string. It plays like a dream when it’s broken in, and seem to retain playability even when worn out. I find that very valuable considering YYSL is still full poly. Kitty and Buddha doesn’t have that, even tho i really like how they perform when new.

4 Likes

I used to play bulk poly for 10 years. Then airetic sent me some samples and ive been hooked. They last a lot longer, theyre softer, dope colors, really whippy, hold tension well, etc. Theyre dope.

5 Likes

I tried the YYSL stuff that came with my Vayder and it’s just too soft for me.

Maybe @andy569 can give me some feedback on the Markmont strings he’s getting and let me know if any retain that initial coarse, springy feeling I like.

And what kind of characteristics are you looking for on string? Are you looking specifically for poly or nylon? If a string I’m playing with has the controlled nature of poly and holds tension properly, it being soft it’s just a plus if it doesn’t take away from the two characteristics mentioned above.

I don’t like the play characteristics of nylon, and i essentially just want a string that plays and feels like bulk poly does for the first 20 minutes except I want it to retain that feeling for as long as possible. A little more coarse feeling, not soft, and springier than bulk poly feels after it’s been broken in.

Everything bulk poly loses by broken in is what I like in a string.

4 Likes

That’s actually really well said! I love me some brand new poly.

4 Likes

If that’s what you like, the OD string recommended by @ryanmcg is actually going to be the closest thing I can think of. Some of the string from @Markmont are also along those lines but a bit smoother in feel

2 Likes

I’m willing to try the One Drop stuff if I can find out what the blend is. If it’s 50/50 it’s a no go for me. But i could deal with 70/30.

If you’ve played Airetic, and that’s what you’re associating with all nylon, the OD isn’t that. It’s stiff af out of the can, so much so that some people don’t like it for that reason. It bears no similarities whatsoever to the Airetic variety of nylon.

1 Like

Aren’t the characteristics of the string more important than the material? What you said above about what poly loses during breaking in being what you like is exactly true for me too, and so far I like this OD string a lot.

I’ll let you know my thoughts when I play with it some more.

I’ve never tried Airetics but I’ve tried a variety of strings people made for me individually years ago. My main gripes are that overly stiff feeling they have and I don’t like how overly whippy they are. IMO it makes it harder to judge timing for whips and lacerations. I still have a few nylons lying around that I will probably never use.

Yeah that’s like the type of nylon blend that Twisted Stringz used to make. Really the OD stuff is the only string still made that’s like that, but imo it breaks in better than any of the others. Seems like people forget that’s what nylon used to mean, and not the soft, slick, springy stuff that’s hot now.

1 Like

Youre missing nothing of any real consequence.

Keep buying bulk and cheap.

3 Likes

I am sad for you. Get some Airetics already!

3 Likes

This

3 Likes

just buy the string

2 Likes