Competition yoyo

I have a dark magic 2 and I have been told that it is not a competition yoyo. Why is if not a competition yoyo? And can somebody give me an example of a competition yoyo? All input is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

There really is no such thing as a competition yoyo. It’s whatever you feel most comfortable with on stage. If it’s a Dark Magic 2, then great. Some yoyos may be in "competition category because they’re more stable, but I think it’s whatever you’re most comfortable with.

Just cause people don’t call it a competition throw dosen’t mean it isn’t. any throw can be a competition throw however there are some throws that are built with competition in mind. the CLYW chief and the OneDrop Burnside for example were throws built with the competitor in mind.

1 Like

Then what’s the difference between a really expensive yoyo and a dark magic 2? Is it spin time and what do you mean by stability

Well one part is that the Dark Magic 2 is bi metal so it doesn’t use as much expensive material as other yoyos. I don’t really know too much about why some yoyos cost more then others. It’s just priced there so the company earns a profit I guess.

And to me, stability is basically a long spinning yoyo that gives some forgiveness.

honestly there isn’t much difference. You’ll soon learn that just about anything you can do on a really expensive metal you can do just as well on a dark magic 2. The only real difference is the price. However some of those metals may be a higher quality throw which is why it might be more expensive.

When I bought my Lyn Fury, the sticker on the side said it was a competition yoyo. Same with the Legacy II.

Nothing wrong with the DM2 for competitions. It has kind of fallen out of favor, but hey, there’s really NO rule that says what you can and can’t use for competition. Other than saying 1A, 3A and 5A need to use a string trick yoyo and 2A using a looping yoyo, whatever you want to use will be just fine.

Also, I have regularly seen people competing with Protostar, Northstar, Starlight, Starbright and darn near anything else. Don’t let price determine what is or isn’t competition grade.

Don’t worry about how a yoyo is described, or whether it is of any particular grade. Just throw what feels good in your hand.

Thanks for all the feedback! :slight_smile: it definitely helps me get a better understanding of yoyos.

Stability also has to do with how easily the yoyo will tilt. A chief will stay upright and spinning for much longer than a dark magic 2. You can still do almost all the tricks with the dark magic 2, the chief will just make them easier. I am just using a chief as an example since I have been able to play one and also it is one of the more known high end yoyos. It is a similar advantage with all high end yoyos I believe

i’m curious now… what will this thread look like in 11 years?
my “competition” yoyo is the marco by yoyofactory.

2 Likes

i competed with the dopamine but i think nowadays a competition yoyo is more decided based on stability and spin time, also one that goes with your style (v shape for speed, rounded out for tech, etc). dopamine has real good stats though

Hades. In 11 yrs there’s going to be a lot more yoyos like Hades.

I’m not sure if this will be the case tbh, at least for 1a. Heavy yo-yos have been experimented with in the past 20 years and they’ve never been that popular and I don’t really see this changing anytime soon. I feel like 1a design has kind of been solved at this point and the only real change we’ve seen in the past 5-10 years is gradual increase in popularity and availability for bimetals but many ppl already saw this coming. Ig yo-yos are slowly becoming wider, 45mm today is like 43mm in 2013. Maybe in 10 years the norm will be 46-47mm but I can’t imagine it getting much wider than that.

What I will say is I could see more super wide and heavier yo-yos like the IX becoming the meta and norm for 5a potentially if companies decide to focus on that.

As for the super heavy yo-yos like the Hades, I do see the potential of them catching on for 3a. I think that would require one of the top players to popularize it though so idk we’ll see. Also, not many companies want to make a 3a focused yoyo nowadays since the ideal of heavy and narrow is the complete opposite of where the 1a trend has been going. I def think super heavy hyper performance yo-yos is the ideal meta for 3a though.

2 Likes

IMG_5211