Competition level throws for around 50 bucks

Give the Markmont Classic a try! The Heaven Sent Creep is also very similar feeling. Also, my opinion only, so I hope no one gets offended, but I think the Grail is overhyped. Doesn’t really perform any better than most the yoyos out there to me. Yea it’s a good yoyo and very fun, but I personally don’t think it’s worth what people are selling it for based on that alone. Also @T1000 check the BST out for some deals too. For $50 you could definitely pick up a really nice yoyo.

3 Likes

I recently got my first MMC and it’s working it’s way into the rotation. Definitely a great yoyo as well.

2 Likes

But the MC is a $95 throw (and I don’t see it come up on BSTs very often)…

2 Likes

Corruption is the best budget metal(sub $50) I’ve ever tried

It’s actually based on a design Tyler Hsieh came up with before UNPRLD and Axis(Tyler’s company before UNPRLD) were even a thing. I believe this was around 2013. A 7075 monometal for $50 was completely unheard of at the time. There was no yoyo that came even close to it in terms of performance anywhere near its price.

Not too many of those were sold but the Corruption is the final product and I still think it’s the best budget metal on the market today

3 Likes

Is it on the market today? Where?

2 Likes

They were only sold on FB bst and on an independent website Tyler made before he even had a company.

Fun fact: It was named the Pulsefire. It started as a monometal and when Tyler made Axis he made a bimetal version, and that’s the Axis Pulsefire.

The Corruption is actually the finalized version of the original monometal Pulsefire.

Just imagine a yoyo that wasn’t much worse than the Corruption for $50. But it was released in like 2014. Not too many were sold but it was basically the Sleipnir of budget yoyos. For the price it was way ahead of its time.

4 Likes

cut-you

4 Likes

How does the the play and finish feel on the raiser?

1 Like

The Finish is fantastic for grinds, very stable, shape is like a Bi-metal Borealis, and very easy to catch, etc, great yoyo.

4 Likes

Great description. I only borrowed my buddy’s, but it’s a little reminiscent of a slightly heavier/more solid Kodiak. It does everything very well. It’s the current budget champ, imo.

2 Likes

Ah thanks, the Kodiak is what I was forgetting, I only tried a Raiser for like 10 min at IL states, I haven’t tried the Kodiak but they do look a lot alike.

2 Likes

Ok, so you two @Nocompromise are making me seriously consider the Raiser, so given that Corruption is not easy to pick the choices are Cadence, Raiser, Ashigaru, Shutter (ofc), Kedge and Iceberg.

Any thoughts on the quality (smoothness and grind feel) in case of Cadence vs Raiser vs Ashigaru?

Also no one mentions C3, they seem to have a lot of offerings in this price range?

2 Likes

The grind feel and quality is pretty high on all three, but if you want specifics:
Ashigaru - shape not as good for grinds
Raiser - slightly narrow
Cadence - good all round, if you like keiran’s style

Shutter vs Kedge - legit tho pick between gentry and evan, and go their yoyo.

Iceberg isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, so maybe try before you buy.

C3 has some good stuff, but the best (for ~50$) are probably

• Radius Nexus - shion’s new yoyo, if you like his style it’s a good choice
  • Krown - smooth and flowy with just the right amount of rim weight. 64g
  • Vapormotion (hybrid) - very interesting… try before you buy… but not as extreme as iceberg
4 Likes

How do you feel the Ashigaru stacks up against other quality throws?

2 Likes

C3 makes fantastic throws, but I haven’t tried all of their budget range, except the Radius Nexus (meh). I Love the Omnitron, OG Radius and Atomic Crash.

I enjoy many Sengoku throws (Masamune is my favorite), but my buddy and I really didn’t care for the Ashigaru.

Kedge and Iceberg are both solid, but not as outstanding as the others I listed.

Raiser, Cadence and Corruption are the best in that range, imo. For their relative advantages, I would say Raiser has more power, Cadence more width, Corruption more speed.

4 Likes

Maybe I just got lucky with the one I received, but I feel the Ashigaru is almost as performant as a Sleipnir or a Format:C. It’s that good, and at $55 it is a steal. I know that some folks aren’t fond of V shapes, but the Ashigaru is a very rounded, comfortable V.

5 Likes

From personal experience, the YYF Marco is a bimetal beast! Extreme V-NESS and width, tons of SS rim weight. $60 new but I got mine mint off the BST for $40. Check out **yoyojoe * and Brandon Vu, they have 2 reviews on the Marco on YouTube. The thing slays like a Ferrari; you don’t wanna drive it every trip to work or the store, you wanna take it out to see how far you can push your luck with the law. Laws of physics in this sense.

4 Likes

Thanks for your input! I figured the Marco will perform like so given that it’s Polo’s signature. My only issue is that it feels a bit on the wider side, not unlike the Cadence. But then again, when I look at Keiran Cooper’s freestyle the yoyo just makes sense, I am simply not at their level yet so the extra width will probably not help me much, regardless it’s really a delight to watch what they can do with such a throw.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Pretty much anything by TopYo. I don’t know how they do it, but both the Silenus and Colossus III that I have are easily competition level throws, and I think they’re both less than $40. My Colossus is a little on the small side, which I like, and has incredible rim weight. Unlike the Colossus, the Silenus is super wide, which a lot of others might like, and is also a super stable throw.

Another one of my throws that’s also been mentioned is the Shutter Wide-Angle. Super wide, and the stability the thing has is off the charts. I’m not very good at horizontal, but I can throw the Wide-Angle sideways and let it sit at the bottom of the string for ~10 seconds and still pop it back up and bind it, something I rarely can do with my other throws. It has also has two, yes TWO, IRG rings. That alone makes me love it.

And all of them have that lovely smooth blasted finishing that makes grinds feel silky smooth

4 Likes