Comparing string thickness / fatness?

I got a kitty sample pack finally so I’m cutting some string ends and counting, doin’ the science :man_scientist:

White kitty 1.5 → 11 strands
Pink kitty regular → 11 strands
Orange kitty fat → 12 strands
Green kitty XL → 13 strands

100% confirmed the stats are correct. Remember this is one half of each string twisted around itself (that’s how we get the loop to put over the bearing), so the overall extra “thickness” is twice this.

These are a pain to count, you really have to tease out the individual strands to get it right. I took a pic but if a strand is “on top” of the others it’s hard to see it from the pic, I had to rotate it around a few times and count again and again to make sure I had it right… I’m pretty sure I did, though, since my counts match the Kitty web page stats!

So many variables here, as I assume individual “strands” can vary in thickness as well depending on the source of the thread that makes up the string? But Kitty probably uses the same thread source on all their models for consistency.

As far as length goes, I verified all 3 are the same length per Kitty website but there is some “normal” variance, 110~115cm as stated. The “Tall” type is 130~140cm.

Definitely confirmed…

Since individual threads could have unknown thickness, let’s math this up.

||||
|-|-|-|-|
|Regular|11 × 2|22 threads|
|Fat|12 × 2|24 threads (9% fatter than normal)|
|XL|13 × 2|26 threads (18% fatter than normal)|

I also learned that kitty fat isn’t fat enough for me… I prefer XL!

4 Likes