Compare one yo to another or just experience the yo for what it is?

When you pick up a new yo do you immediately compare it to another that you have been playing or do you just experience the yo on what it is?

• Compare
  • Just experience it for what it is

0 voters

2 Likes

Wait, how can you avoid comparing it? :thinking:

Do you have zen beginners empty mind, as if you have never thrown any yo-yos before picking this one up? :business_suit_levitating:

6 Likes

I’m in search of the One like I’m looking for Keanu Reeves so everything I buy gets compared to my current favorite.

1 Like

Both, I guess? I think you can’t help but to start comparing it to what else you have thrown, but you can still enjoy it for what it is while doing that.

1 Like

Other than when I bought the Cadence ES, I don’t usually compare new yos with anything. My first question to myself is always “how does this yoyo play?” and “what are it’s unique characteristics?” I might eventually compare like shape to like shape, and a new yoyo will eventually fall into a “similar to these” kind of category, but I really don’t rank them or anything.

Not sure how you dont compare it to others. I try to keep an open mind though.

1 Like

Initially comparing isn’t going to happen. I’m not sure how to explain it but I’ll give it a try. So when I meet someone, I don’t compare them to other people I know, I just learn about them. After I know them well then I might compare them to others, if given a reason, but I just usually recognize their strengths, weaknesses, likes and dislikes. So when I get a yoyo I just play it, learning all I can about its strengths, weaknesses and how it feels. Later I may make comparisons but not initially.

2 Likes

Yeah I agree. I think that for the most part the yo-yo is going to fall into a certain category and you can’t help but compare it the other throws in that category.

Every once in a while there is a yo-yo that sort of defies that- actually the TM is one of those. It’s definitely got a unique feel to me, when i first threw it around i was like “Woah this is different!”

Although, granted, you’ve probably owned way more yo-yos than me so maybe it won’t feel as unique to you.

All of that said, I have made an effort to try and not RANK a yo-yo when I throw. What I mean is I try not to think in terms of “This is better than the Dominator but not as good as the Inevitable” or whatever.

1 Like

I just don’t think comparing a yo-yo to a person is a great analogy. Yo-yos are a tool im using to accomplish a task: execute or create tricks in an effective and pleasing manner.

It’s more like a piece of sports equipment to me, like a tennis racket or golf club. How does this wedge compare to other wedges I’ve used? Do I feel like I have more or less control? How good is it for chips vs flops? I have to compare it to others I’ve used to know which I’m most efficient and comfortable with.

I’m not utilizing people to accomplish a goal, so why would I evaluate them that way?

Also without other yo-yos to reference you can’t judge their strengths and weaknesses. In a bubble the yo-yo you are using is the fastest, most stable, and has the best catch zone because it’s the only yo-yo if it’s not being compared to anything else.

1 Like

Sheesh…sorry I tried to explain it Durfee lol. No I’m not.:crazy_face: Let me help ya out. I used people because hopefully we all meet new people. We all don’t use a new wedge, sorry golf is incredibly boring, watching paint dry or grass grow, so I can’t relate. Anyway, I ride a lot of mountain bikes, I ride each one and just try to get to know it’s strengths and weaknesses, how agile it is, the suspension, the geometry, and the brakes. I don’t compare it to any other bike until I know it. Whatever.

1 Like

Im not trying to rag on you or anything just explaining my differing point of view. I just think one can’t know what the strengths and weaknesses are in a vacuum, you have to have a frame of reference.

Edit: I guess what I’m saying is there are different types of comparison.

There’s the comparison of attributes, and then there’s the comparison of how those attributes match your preferences. I think we were arguing about separate types of comparison.