Color Mod - YoyoFactory's New Full Sized Titanium

UPDATE!

I decided to throw caution to the wind and take a blowtorch to the Ricochet.

Here is the end result. No filter/enhancements.

Here is one of my favorite titanium an jobs. Jason Wong did what he calls a “Rainbowflage” finish. I have no idea how he accomplished it but the look was phenomenal. My photo here does not do it justice, when I was throwing it the colors looked amazing.

1 Like

gambit did it mess with the play in anyway… dat ryhme…

That is indeed amazing! As for how he did it… it boils down to using a variable voltage power supply. Either parts are dipped and then extracted as the voltage was varied, or he used a “paint brush” technique someone told me about, and again-- varied the voltage as he “painted” the water on.

Doesn’t matter much if I can guess the technique, though-- even if it’s easy in theory I doubt it was easy in execution and it would have taken planning and a good eye. The end result is fantastic.

Gambit, that blowtorch result is pretty great! That blue…! The purple “splash”…!

That looks AMAZEBALLS. I wouldn’t be able to do this I would be too nervous

Phwoar! That thing is beautiful! :o

It’s no secret that I’m a Jason Wong fanboy. As far as I’m concerned, he’s a wizard.

@Alecto, not that I’m aware of. I mean I just tried the old fingernail test and it’s a little bit vibey, but then I’ve been sparking it loads recently and didn’t check what it felt like beforehand, so for all I know it could have been vibing for days beforehand.

At any rate, it hasn’t affected the actual play on the string. :slight_smile:

Thanks man! I was hoping to get patches of different colours rather than a uniform result, so I purposely heated some bits more and some bits less. The end result is I’ve got purple, dark blue and light blue all together. I’m surprised at just how well it worked actually, the blue is very striking. :smiley:

Looks sooooo much like a Pulsar Superstar or Galaxy Proton. This could be the next BIG thing. If YYF could put this on the dream… The cows will be flying.

cows… you think to small…the farm would be flying!

That’s beautiful.

Wow man that looks great Gambit! I’m glad you tried this, does the blue wear off when you spark it?

I think I might try it with my ricochet if I get another Ti throw.

The oxide layer on titanium is extremely thin so sparking will strip the color quickly. On a raw titanium yoyo the sparking damage is not that noticeable, on an anodized titanium the damage will be readily apparent after the first spark. It is a downside to titanium in general and not an issue associated with any one company.