CLYW YETI

Thanks for the kind words and for visiting our shop!

So glad to finally see someone bring up risk. Doing plastic requires a huge initial investment and both us and CLYW have taken this leap (of faith). Plastic is very different medium from metal and required a massive learning curve and a large investment in money and time. I agree with Steve that this is a great thing for yoyoing and an investment in the future.

Thank you to everyone who has purchased a Rally. I encourage you all to get a Yeti as well! Itā€™s a great yoyo and Chris is working really really hard to bring it to you.

4 Likes

i know this is ironic but when i went and toured the OD factory i tried the yeti but not the rallyā€¦ so weird but i was very impressed with how smooth the yeti was. i dont think it justifies the price tho. $40 is a lot to drop on a yoyo that isnt machined and doesnt have weight rings. i am more interested in the rally anyway. i might pick up either one on bst unless i can get a rally from the factory.

Really, I think if youā€™ve come into this thread and seen some of the more negative posts, you should just absorb the few posts by Steve Brown on the previous page before leaving. Make of it all what you will from there.

Iā€™m very much looking forward to the Yeti.

More than that, Iā€™m really excited that thereā€™s going to be the Yeti, and new Protostar and the rally all out in a reasonably small window of time. So much fun. Lots more to come too.

1 Like

For those that think the Yeti is overpriced, Why? No hate, just looking to get some detail on this.

Side question for Steve since he is watching this post. Does clear plastic tend to be more brittle than solid color plastic? I have noticed that when people talk about their cracked Northstars, Freehands, or various YYJs it tends to be a clear yo-yo that is being shown with the damage.

Donā€™t be material racist.

I would gladly pay 40+ dollars for a good playing yoyo, regardless of material.

1 Like

Yes. Perfectly put.

Thanks bro!

When you say ā€œclearā€ do you mean ā€œtranslucent coloredā€ or untinted clear?

All colorants are basically contaminants. So itā€™s just another variable in the molding process, with is already fraught with them. Material, grade of material, manufacturer of material, colorant, grade of colorant, manufacturer of colorant, amount needed of colorant, base of colorant, how long the material and colorant have been stored, where and how theyā€™ve been stored, pellet drying time, molding temperature, mold cycle, cooling time, warehousing conditions, type of mold release used, age and condition of molds, age and condition of pressesā€¦all variables! Itā€™s not a manufacturing process for the faint of heart.

YYJs tend to crack (or have in the past, Iā€™m told most of those issues have been solved in recent years) due to the nature of molding metal parts into plastic parts, and the host of challenges that presents. The actual color of the material is largely irrelevant in that particular instance.

All that aside, Iā€™ve never known translucent vs. opaque to ever show any kind of preference as far as durability is concerned. So, short answer: no. Ha.

1 Like

I did mean translucent.

The list of all the variables gives a good insight into what companies like CLYW and One Drop have to overcome in the plastic market. Seeing all the positive reviews for the Yeti and Rally shows that they have done some serious homework.

1 Like

I love this post. Here we have people on each side arguing for the Yeti or the Rally, meanwhile David himself is showing support for his competitors for the sake of the industry as a whole. Kudos! :wink:

On a side note. Iā€™m a proud owner of a Rally, and I canā€™t wait for the Yeti to drop. Two completely different throws from two great companies.

I love my rally. It is so awesome but Iā€™m on the fence for The Yeti now. Iā€™m kind of confused thanks to all these arguments. Keep in mind I also have the protostar yoyo. Rally trumps all my other yoyos. Itā€™s my fav yoyo lol

I canā€™t believe you guys are so stingy about 40 dollars.

2 Likes

IKR assuming it plays up to the same level as the Rally why does it matter so much?

I think the reason people are so ā€œstingyā€ isnā€™t because of the actual price but for the reason many feel itā€™s overpriced compared to how the OD Rally is made:;

Rally:
Machined polycarbonate catchzone
Machined aluminum rings (also anodized)
Machined Axle/hub insert
Machined bearing seat/response spacers

Yeti:
Injection molded polycarbonate (Apparently some special unknown glass filled polycarb)
YYF Death Spacers

In my eyes and many others the price is so similar yet the OD Rally is truly a better value. I havenā€™t played a yeti and hope I get the chance too. I wonā€™t be buying one because of the price however but that doesnā€™t mean its not a great throw.

Irrelevant. I spent more money on a few string from YYSL. 40 dollars is pocket change.

I wouldnā€™t really compare them. Just like comparing Vodka to Whiskey. Both will get the job done but are completely different. Some people donā€™t like one or the other, some like both. Maybe in need a shot of both right now.

The REAL value is that they are both amazing yo yoā€™s, and priced in range with a ProtoStar ($34.99). Keeping in mind that the Yeti and Rally are not mass produced, nor made in China. Isnā€™t that worth ten to fifteen of your extra dollars?

It is to meā€¦ And I do like my ProtoStar, I just donā€™t LOVE it like the Rally.

Yep totally gotcha

People are complaining about the price of a yoyo they havenā€™t played? lol

seriously, is no one going to complain about the YYR diffusion? that thing is injection molded, not machined, but that costs $45 (more than the yeti) and that thing is one of the worst yoyos Iā€™ve played. Yeti is a really unique plastic for a pretty standard ā€˜plastic priceā€™, if it really bothers you, donā€™t buy one, or maybe pick one up second hand for like $20 in a few months, jeez.

Actually I thought it $29.99?

At least it is here on Yoyoexpertā€¦

Believe me, people complained.