CLYW Puffin

So, I’ve had my Puffin for about 6 months now. At about the same time I grabbed a Chief and an Arctic Circle, and for whatever reason the puffin collected dust. I did throw it a few times and thought it was nice… maybe a bit lighter and floatier than prior CLYWs I’d thrown. But I got caught up in the Chief and AC hype, and got a few new other throws to distract me, and kinda forgot about it.

I picked it up again a few days ago, and started throwing it after a long hiatus. And I was kinda blown away by how much I enjoyed it. I swapped out the stock CT for a 10 ball, and enjoyed that setup even more. The Puffin isn’t quite as long spinning as some of the other “competition” grade CLYW throws, but it’s very quick, nimble, and stable. As a matter of fact, given its weight and quick play, the stability and spintimes are actually rather impressive. It’s especially great for hoppy tricks like black hops and the like.

The Puffin’s profile has a large catch zone with a stepped, pseudo high wall, although I don’t find the highwall to detract from stability/spintime(highwalled yoyos may be easier to correct tilt on, but they can also encourage tilting with imprecise play). It’s curved, organic shape fits in the hand very nicely. It’s obviously modeled after the venerable Peak, but most previous reviews have touched upon this so I won’t delve into it too much. Suffice to say, although the shape is similar, the lighter weight and slightly smaller size makes it a very different yoyo. The catch zone is much wider, and the added Chief-style weight rings increase spin times and stability. Arm, finger and palm grinds are outstanding,and IRG’s are possible but difficult due to the chief rings. I don’t do thumb grinds too much anyways, so it’s not a huge deal. So… the puffin may look like a Peak, and some people might consider it to be it’s successor. but it’s an entirely different beast.

Most of the reviews I’ve read have said the Puffin is a fairly fun, quality throw, but that it lacks a few of the necessary qualities to be considered a “competition” grade yoyo(and the price tag that comes with that). I can’t say I disagree, although after a good deal of play and pondering, I have to say I enjoy tossing my Puffin more than my Chief or AC(and the vast majority of my other metals). I’m kinda surprised so many people consider it to be a somewhat “meh” kinda yoyo.

Anyways, I haven’t read too many reviews of the puffin thus far, so I thought I’d put in my 2 cents. That is all.

How much you want for it