CLYW Metal YETI!

Yeti-Extra

From CLYW:
We are beyond thrilled to introduce the Metal Yeti!

The Yeti has been our most challenging project ever. Two plastic iterations came and went with varying degrees of success, rife with challenges, and both ended their lifespans early due to production problems that we just couldn’t quite solve. But the shape and the feel were just too. damn. good and we couldn’t give up on it, so we went back to what we do best…precision metal.

MetalYeti-Extra2_1024x1024

The Metal Yeti is a beautiful halfway point between nostalgia and the new new, with a play style that really makes us feel like it’s an instant classic. (Fun fact, the hub stickers are left over from the very first Yeti production run!) Something about this return top is just “perfect Caribou” and none of us can put our prototypes down. We’re so excited for everyone to try these that we even made a lot more than usual to get the price down so that we could make them even more affordable.

https://shop.yoyoexpert.com/products/metal-yeti-yoyo-by-clyw

11 Likes

RIP yeti in the first pic.

8 Likes

LOL I just noticed that! Check out the density variance in the plastic… you can see a hole!

5 Likes

I’ve never cared for when a manufacturer strokes their ego in their product description; as a consumer, it’s hard to look at it objectively when there’s giant bias in the way - it leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

I’d wager that the aluminum used is also why the price is so low. The finish is very similar to something you’d find on Magic Yoyos and lower-end Duncans (I’d love to be wrong here). And this is just me, but the engraving is pretty meh. CLYW usually has some pretty classy engravings but this one looks a bit tacky IMO.

Looks like it’ll play fast, though.

But I’ll stick with my glasstic Yeti.

5 Likes

Yeah the OG Yeti was made using a type of FRP and that’s not uncommon with the material

3 Likes

TBH not like the Yeti was that “classy” looking of a yo-yo to begin with… it’s always had a weird “runt of the litter” kinda shape to it from my perspective :wink:

3 Likes

This is a miracle. This thing looks sooooo sleek and looks sooooo fun to play with.:drooling_face:

2 Likes

The reason why the price is “low” is because they made a TON of these things to cut the price down so everyone could enjoy it. I even says it right here. :wink:

3 Likes

I like old CLYWs waayyyy more then new ones, but I do like the laser engravings I must say. It brings sort of a modern look to it.

3 Likes

I typically keep these kinds of things to myself, but unpopular opinion: I’m really not that stoked about this one. I’m sure it’s great in its own respect, but I just can’t get excited about this one.

1 Like

ICUH8N  

3 Likes

It took me way too long to make out what that said

4 Likes

Yes, I read that. But having played thousands of modern yoyos, the metal Yeti has a finish that looks exactly like the finish on cheap Chinese aluminums. As I said, I’d love to be proven wrong.

How many is a “ton”? How many Sasquatches did they make to have the price point where it’s at for that model?

2 Likes

It’s really a nice finish in person. It has a soft blast and the curves really give it a beautiful look when the light hits it, that silver one especially. It has a really cool pearly look.

4 Likes

In my opinion, the finish looks super premium. I own a few CLYW’s, and the ones that have a really nice soft finish look just like how the Metal Yeti’s does. And don’t forget, this is CLYW. They probably won’t cheat on us like that. :wink:

2 Likes

Man, I was pretty set on the gray/silver one, but that promo photo has me really wanting the purple :drooling_face:

edit: I personally love that they made this. I always loved the original Yeti, but always babied them quite a bit. Knowing that one wrong hit to the ground and it’d be over. And swapping out a different bearing, a pain that usually resulted in needing to buy new spacers. Such a great yoyo, but too many issues. Will say though, there is no other yoyo like the original Yeti, nothing. It was so unique.

4 Likes

I thought it was more of a Classic look :smiley: Just like the originals.

2 Likes

Wowww those purples sold out fast :wink:

I kinda figured they would, purple tends to be a very popular yo-yo color in my experience. You feel me @irdaprez??

Black also now sold out. Blue has only 2 left.

Clearly, the least popular colors are Gold (9) + Silver (5). Most popular are Purple and Black.

2 Likes

Hmm, only 10 (?) of each color doesn’t strike me as “a lot”? Let’s see 20+ of each colorway :wink:

3 Likes

Don’t forget, this is the pre-release. There will probably be a lot more like 30+ of each colorway when the actual release happens. The actual release is in January BTW. :wink:

2 Likes