CLYW Cliff

Actually, Au Contraire.

If you’ve been around the forums, and seem some ridiculously rude things that he has posted
and has actually bashed some companies.

Yes, he is stating his opinion, but we already know it.
and we have seen it all, over and over, way too many times before.

It is getting irritating

That may be, but I don’t find what he said here to be rude.

I find others replys to him rude. Besides, I’m not going to judge him even if he did “bash” other companies in the past. Because the way I see it here and now, you guys judge what he said in here as “bashing” when really he was just pondering an interesting point.

And I’ve been around, maybe not YYE as often as I’d like, but let it be known that I was registered before him and most of you for that matter lol.

But honestly though, quit kicking the Geez.

[quote=“SkyHighYo,post:22,topic:46744”]
We will have to agree to disagree.

I have personally been on the receiving end of his vitriol and general craziness… including a personal message from him telling me to **** off. I have also witnessed him attacking manufacturers that I happen to call friends on their own site. Others have witnessed his tirades as well. It is great to deal in the here and now but some people tend to bring baggage with them that can not be ignored. Geezer just so happens to have steamer trunks.

I think we all need to get away from attacking each other. I think YoYoGeezer has proven he knows what he’s talking about as well as the fact that he has preferences for certain things.

WE ALL do.

Look, let’s just make an effort to get along on the forum, OK? There’s younger kids here who won’t understand anything other than seeing “grown me”(and I use that term loosely) fighting over toys. While accurate, it’s just not productive.

Personally, I couldn’t give a crap what you do or don’t like(this goes to anyone). If you like it, you like it. It’s not my position to say you’re making a good choice or bad choice by liking or not liking something.

So, please, if we could stop with the bickering and move forward, I know I for one would appreciate it.

4 Likes

There is no “import tax” on Japanese throws. Their seemingly high cost is merely because of the exchange rate, which lately is getting better and puts YYR right in line with CLYW. The US $ and Canadian $ are so close to parity that it’s basically negligible and therefore the cost is what it is because CLYW makes it that, which is fine, but don’t act like there’s some external force requiring CLYWs to cost what they do these days.

Import Tax may have been the wrong wording but you hit it on the head. There is the cost of shipping to America and the exchange rate. Yo-Yos from Canada are going to have an extra cost due to shipping as well, especially if CLYW is still using a US based machine shop. There is the cost of shipping the machined yo-yos to Canada and then the cost of shipping back to the US stores for sale. That can’t be cheap when we are talking about a hundred or so yo-yos at a pop. Even if CLYW is using a Canadian machine shop, last I heard they still used Gruntbull for anodizing, which is an Ohio based firm. On top of that the double lip is going to add a little extra to the cost of machining due to the extra operations involved. The way it has been explained to me int he past, the more complex the machining the poor it costs to make. The question there is whether the double lip ads pennies or dollars to the cost per unit.

There is merit to what people have said about Chris charging higher because of scalpers… it probably cheeses him off. In the end everyone has their own speculation on the reason for the increase. In the end the increase in CLYW does not anger me in the least. I just don’t buy them because I do not feel like paying the higher cost of entry, same reason I do not buy YYR. In the end it is no harm no foul, I let my wallet voice my opinions on the price. Anyone who is angry at a company for charging to much ends up sounding like they feel entitled to the yo-yo they want on the pricing terms they feel is appropriate. Sorry, but it doesn’t work that way. I can’t go into a Ferrari dealership and demand a 599 for the price of an Accord… no more than the community can demand a CLYW at a budget YYF price. If the community was truly displeased with the price then the CLYW would sit on the shelves and Chris would have to rethink his pricing. Since that is not happening he doesn’t need to change a thing.

Back to the topic. The cliff is amazing feather like a puffin, floaty like a chief, and spins like a heavy ac. Fits perfect in my hands and def worth more than 165 :slight_smile:

Yeah, the difference is that he’s not just pondering an interesting point. He’s been “pondering” this same interesting point all over the board for many months at least, and that interesting point always amounts to the fact that CLYW is terrible and overpriced, and that everyone who spends that kind of money on them are stupid.

Your opinion here is really not helpful as you’re clearly not informed as to what’s actually been going on regardeless of how long you think you’ve been around. I would never have even responded to his post if this were an isolated incident nor would I have read any ill intent in it. And in fact, many, many, many times I have kept my mouth shut. This time, I decided I was tired of this passive aggressive nonsense and I said something about it.

I have seen many Geezer started arguments. Rule of thumb is to ignore.

The only problem i have with it is the fact that it doesnt look like a CLYW throw. Drop it in a solid colour and under a different name and its an avant garde 3. Not saying it isnt amazing to play, just not natural looking like I picture when i imagine a CLYW. Same as the Glacier Express

This is one thing I also think people overlook- CLYW throws pretty much hold their value over time, even dinged up ones sell for quite a bit compared to dinged throws from other companies. I noticed that throws that retailed 100-120 from CLYW eventually end up on the BST for the same price or even higher based on the colorway.

Great Review.