CLYW Bear Vs. Man Round 2: A High Speed YoYo Review

My first encounter with CLYW, like many others, was with the CLYW’s sophomore release, the original Bear Vs. Man. Some loved it, others did not, I though it was this thin, chunky, bulbous hunk of green with blue splashed awesomeness spinning at the bottom of the string. Over time the BvM garnered a small following and had several runs before being retired. Today I am looking at a rarity for CLYW, a direct follow up to the original BvM, the Bear Vs. Man Round 2 (BvM2 for short). Sequels of anything tread a dangerous line. Once you announce a sequel the fans automatically bring a set of preconceived notions of the traits it should have. This can be a good thing at times but when the sequel deviates from the original in unexpected ways it has the potential of angering the crowd. On the flip side, if it doesn’t innovate enough when compared to the original then the crowd starts complaining that there was no point to the release. Turning our attentions to the BvM2 it needs to be asked, would it have been better to call this by a different name or does it live up to and exceed on the pedigree established by the original?

Click Here To Continue Reading

1 Like

Great review as always, but I’m confused by an apparent inconsistency in this paragraph:

The last sentence doesn’t seem to follow from the previous sentences. Do you prefer Chris’ hand poured silicone or the Snow Tires?

I like them quite a bit better. :slight_smile:

Wow. This has made mee want to get one.

LOL! Was the use of a pronoun (so as to still not clarify 100%) intentional? “Them” seems to match Snow Tires, so I’mma go with that… but it’s still funny. :smiley:

“I like Snow Tires quite a bit better.”

100% clarity time.

Snow Tires are God’s gift to Canadian return tops. ;D

1 Like

Is that clarity?

The wink implies more. Is it that Snow tires are God’s gift to CLYW, or to return-top performance in general?

I agree with the gist of the original sentence. I think Chris’s flowable was the best there was. I do, however, understand the labor-intensity aspect of the equation. To me, Snow Tires are an acceptable compromise.

I wish that every once in a while, CLYW would release a run that did have the flowable. I would pay an extra $10 for flowable over a fancy anodizing any day.

Great review of a great yo-yo, BTW.

Thanks. That isn’t a wink that is the big @$$ grin. This is a wink. :wink:

OH COME ON MAN. NOW YOU MADE ME WANT THIS YOYO, AND A YOYO CALLED THE CHEETAH VS MAN. WHY DO YOU DO THESE THINGS?
In all seriousness, great review, and a faster bvm2 sounds awesome. Maybe a redistribution of the weight? But that would mess with the spin wouldn’t it?