Cliff

I picked up a hulk smash!:smiley:

Nothing wrong with the FG releases.

In fact, for the most part, there’s often really nothing wrong with most company’s B-grade items.

I’m getting to my breaking point with the CLYW prices, but at the same time, I guess I have a different perspective. I’m looking at what I’m getting for my money, and how much enjoyment I get using it as well as sharing it. I was willing to pay the $165 and I did, and I did so willingly.

Nobody should feel forced to pay a certain price.

I totally understand why some people are finding it too expensive. $165 is too much for me, too.

But don’t make the mistake of taking it personally. It’s economics and it’s business. You would do the same if it was your company. It’s already been stated (and has been proven true) that these runs can and will sell out.

If you could sell 100 of something at $100 each, or 100 of something at $150 each, which would you choose? Seems simple and sensible when put that way, I hope.

There of course reaches a point where the price causes the run to NOT sell out. There are also intangibles like fostering a supportive community. I get the strong feeling that Chris is not interested in alienating CLYW fans in the least (on the contrary, he seems to enjoy engaging with his company’s fans!), so I’m sure each pricing decision is a tough one for him… can you imagine any business owner thinking, “Haha, I’m going to make sure fewer people can buy this!” Doesn’t make sense.

This is business. CLYW has the right to set prices that will drive the company’s growth and keep food on the table of its employees. I will never begrudge a company that opportunity. It’s the American way! :wink:

Back to the Cliff: do want. Especially now that I’ve tried the Chief (got that jonesing out of my system). Loved the Chief, but more interested in the Cliff now. Plus I might be getting a Chief for Christmas, so … yeah… there’s that. :wink:

Was it expensive? Yes. Will it be worth it? Yes. One of my first metals and first big ticket throws was my original Hulk Smash Wooly Marmot. I think it was $100 or $110 new (anyone remember?). I loved it then and I love it now. I decided after the release of the Avalanche that this was my company because of how great these throws are. To me they are worth any price. I save up for them, I get enjoyment out of them. They’re worth it. I will gladly support this man and his business and feed his baby and dog with my money. What Chris gives back to this community and what I get out of his throws is absolutely worth the price.

Cliffs cost too much. I bought one anyways.

I think it is interesting that at the $150+ price point CLYW is considered OK, whereas the Japanese throws are all considered too expensive.

I think a YoyoRecreation @$180 and made from much more expensive 7075 is a much better value than any CLYW, made from lighter, cheaper materials. More importantly, the various designs from YoyoRecreation are far more innovative as well as better performing than the tortured-yoyo shapes we are getting from CLYW.

As the Dollar strengthens, Japanese yo-yos that used to cost $200, now cost $175. The gap in price is narrowing, but the value proposition is now firmly tilting towards the Japanese. I don’t waste money on colorful anodization. I spend my money on design and performance. Right now, sadly, that is not CLYW.

2 Likes

Go pick fights somewhere else. You always do this when people talk about CLYW. I bet you haven’t even thrown a Cliff, yet you’re judging it. Seriously, go talk about your YYRs somewhere else. I love YYR, but this is a CLYW thread.

2 Likes

Actually this is a thread about thoughts on the cliff and he is sharing his thoughts, no wrong in that

Design and performance are also a matter of preference.

So, you prefer Japanese metal yoyos. Good for you.

I like a bit of everything. CLYW is just as good anything else considered “the best”. One Drop is too, in my opinion.

There’s not way to know for sure if I’m going to like the Cliff until it ships and arrives, and I’m more than patient enough to wait the extra time that USPS Priority will take during the holidays. I can say I feel relatively confident that I will enjoy it. I won’t enjoy something just because it’s expensive and therefore it MUST therefore be “perfect”. I like my TI-5, but at $350, I feel my Equilateral I paid $110 for is a better yoyo in terms of overall performance.

I like CLYW’s products for the most part. I’m a bit let down by the Canvas, but you know, not every product will be a winner for all people. I’ve enjoyed all their other yoyos to day with the exception of not owning a 1st and 3rd run Peak yet. I expect to enjoy the Cliff.

There’s a difference between stating his opinion and blatantly insulting a company, and making false claims. I love YYR, but I don’t see his argument that they have more “various designs” especially since he hasn’t provided any proof. CLYW has ventured much more into different design aspects. For example, the double rims on many of their yoyos. Never seen before. Their utilisation of undercuts never seen before. Innovative. The long protruding nipple found on most of their throws. Don’t see many else with that style of flat post. I agree that YYR play fantastically, but they’re not that innovative, shape wise.

You are mistaken. I have been a staunch supporter of CLYW for sometime now. Do a search on the Canvas and you will find my support to be extensive. What I do not like is the FACT that I have spent $300+ lately on throws that are marginal at best: Glacier Express, Arctic Circle, Puffin. Yeah, I bought them after hearing hype about how great they were - just like all the other CLYW’s that I still keep in my bag. But they were not up to the same standards of the CLYW yoyos that were produced when CLYW was a labor of love rather than a career. Ever since that change - I think yoyos are being made to keep the pipeline full - NOT because they are great throws that SHOULD be made.

I ,for one, am tired of spending big bucks on what is essentially aluminum paint. If you are going to bank on your name and charge the big money - you gotta deliver. I do not think that CLYW has been doing that lately. Sorry; but I call them like I see them.

And as for this being a “CLYW” thread; I was responding to those who were claiming that CLYW was merely responding to the business aspect of profit in the yoyo world. According previous posts, CLYW is a great value because if you do not like it - buy something else. I am simply pointing out other, alternative value propositions in the yoyo world. Some are more attractive than the CLYW proposition at this time.

If not liking the Cliff is picking a fight - perhaps a quick review of concept of free speech is in order.

You’re on an internet forum. Andre owns it. Your bill of rights changes when you log on and type. It’s no longer your property. Andre can do whatever he want. You most certainly don’t have the right of free speech, you have permission to speak, which can be taken away. And if you’re such a staunch supporter of CLYW, then why bash them? Ok, you’ve praised the Canvas. Good for you. Now, that’s one case of positive versus the several times I’ve seen you arguing about CLYW on the forums. And no, I can’t find evidence, because most of the threads have been deleted because you like to argue. I’ve seen you argue with Saintrobyn on OneDrop GZR. It’s a well known fact that you like to argue. Now all I’m saying is that if you want to argue, pm me. There we can discuss thing like true gentleman, as opposed to dirtying up this thread more. And to your dislike of CLYW as a business, guess what? They’re certainly more successful with yoyos than you are. So, when people stop buying their yoyos, then you can gloat. Then you can hype your Japanese 7075s. But for now, If you haven’t even tried the yoyo, and all you have to say on it is based on your opinionated judgement, then don’t say anything.

Sorry mods for dirtying up this thread.

This thread has heated up. I love different yoyo’s and different companies for different reasons…

One Drop for being just an awesome all around company that make solid working man/woman yoyos…

General-Yo for making kick but Made in the USA SMOOTH throws…

CLYW for innovation and artitsty above all… IMHO no other company has the creative/performance down like CLYW…

CLYW is IMHO the most progressive company out there…

I will always love One Drop and they will always be my first love hands down… But These companies are sooo different and that is good for the community…

I for one LOVE the Chief forward CLYW… Actually the only pre Chief throws I own are the Gnar and the Avalanche… I LOVE the new CLYW…

BUT again we all have opinions and are all free to express those opinions…

So I will play my One Drop, General Yo and CLYW with equal love and respect…

And for price… Well whatever they charge I will pay and be happy paying it…

CLYW is still a labor of love. Chris loved it so much he made it his career. We can all only hope to one day have a job/career that we actually can call a labor of love and not just work. Kudos to Chris for making his labor of love also his career. For being able to employ his friend who has likely inspired all of us in one way or another. Throws are throws and as far as I’m really concerned they’re all rad.

CLYW is still a labor of love. Chris loved it so much he made it his career. We can all only hope to one day have a job/career that we actually can call a labor of love and not just work. Kudos to Chris for making his labor of love also his career. For being able to employ his friend who has likely inspired all of us in one way or another. Throws are throws and as far as I’m really concerned they’re all rad.

I couldn’t agree with this more.

Yup, this thread is headed in a bad direction.

Let me see if I can cool things down a bit.

I’m looking forward to the Cliff. However, as with any yoyo by any maker, preferences are the only thing that matters. I hope my preferences agree with the Cliff.

The Canvas is my least favorite yoyo from CLYW. It just doesn’t match my preferences quite right. It’s still great, it’s just not ideal for me. NO, I’m not selling or trading it. I find it’s good to have stuff that isn’t quite “perfect” for me. With yoyo, I don’t want to always be in my comfort zone. I like to mix it up and screw things up once in a while.

Look, nobody is being forced to buy anything. I don’t mind if you do or don’t like the Cliff, for any reason or no reason at all. I don’t care if you hate the price for whatever reason.

The only one I answer to is me in regards to this. I never spend more than I can afford. I like nice stuff and I like to spoil myself a bit. I’m enjoying my Puffin. I can’t wait for the Cliff to arrive.

Hmmm, Well i understand you think the others aren’t worth the price/good for it.

HOWEVER, i rather enjoy all CLYW so far, and i just received my Cliffs(yup plural)
And let me just say this.

These Beasts have Dethroned my Sleipnir, COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY
This thing out spins all the YYR i own
It feels like Sheer Power when thrown.

it just KILLED all my expectations.
i was expecting a Bigger GE. I was so wrong, its ridiculous.

I know, you love YYR and TP, but this throw, destroys all of them
AND is made of “lower quality metal”
You really must try it! i Swear you wont regret it.

3 Likes

:smiley:

3 Likes

I like YYR