Clear Covering

I am thinking about painting my sunsets, and wasn’t sure if the paint would last. Does anyone know a yoyo friendly clear covering for paint so it won’t chip? Thanks.

There is no such magic potion. I know a few people who have used automotive clear coat over painted yoyos. A clear acrylic or polyurethane should work as well. But the will all chip eventually if you whack them.

I don’t have any Sunset Trajectories, but I do have an idea:

My Unleashed have clear caps covering the pog. The caps could be painted on the INSIDE and be pretty much "damage resistant.

A better example is my clear modfied FHZ. This is an XminusmikeX custom paint job that was done on the INSIDE portions that therefore can never chip, scratch or flake away.

Otherwise, anything on the outside is going to chip, scratch, peel and flake over time unless you never hit anything. Even if you clear coat it, the clear coat will break down over time and play.

I don’t want to negate stuff like the amazing work done by Brett Grimes. The idea of having someone like him get all custom on a yoyo for me is appealing and exciting. At the same time, I know it’s going to need touch ups, repairs or eventually stripped and redone. On the positive side, it can be touched up, repaired or stripped and redone.

No paint for me, thanks! However, to each their own. If you can paint it where damage can’t get to it, then you’re safe.