CJ Atkinson Forum Chat AMA and GIVEAWAY Wed to Friday (3/30 to 4/2)!

That’s a great choice

1 Like

There have been a few for sure. Classic yoyofactory yo-yos like superstar and supernova; Always loved SPYY and Werrd designs as well. On the more modern end, I love the stuff good life puts out.
The Dunk profile was inspired by the good life breeze and the core co qubit, for example.

2 Likes

You have great taste my man! Supernova and Superstar are two of my classic YYF favs

1 Like

I’m so proud of the DUNK series. I truly feel like Slam Dunk is about as perfect as a yo-yo could be, IMO. It came out so much better than I could have ever hoped. I know it’s a bit biased but, yeah. Love that yoyo, and the love the whole series received from the community truly meant more than probably anybody realized. It was called the best yo-yo of 2020 by a lot of people and that’s a truly humbling distinction. Today is actually the two year anniversary of the OG DUNK. If you don’t follow Jake on IG, he just revealed DUNK: Rebound. 7075 and D sized bearing. So stoked for everyone to try it.

I love Tiger Driver for the overall learning experience the production process was. The next release for Turnbuckle, Burning Hammer is pretty much perfect, and is going to be a monster for competitive play.
As far Recess stuff goes, Triple Double is my favorite release we’ve done in my time designing yo-yos with Tyler, hands down. We have some cool new stuff in that pipeline as well.

4 Likes

That was one of my favorite Supernova colorways also, so dope.

1 Like

OH and favorite yo-yos that I wasn’t involved with right now are absolutely the Good Life Pharaoh and the new Freehand Ones from Duncan.

3 Likes

woah ny to paris! The leather creased nicely and the wear on the leather color and grain really looks nice

1 Like

Yeah! Love these. I’ve tried to let them crease and fade out naturally rather than just scraping all the top layer off haha. I need to wear them more tbh.

1 Like

Apologies if this was missed in the replies above, but also my last question for ya:

Do you have any unique pre-competition rituals (yoyo or wrestling)?

1 Like

Where do you like to start when designing a yoyo? In the profile or in the cup? Do you find it easier if the yoyo has a name already, or do you find a name for it after you have the shape figured out?

I REALLY like your packaging design, it’s clever and fun.

1 Like

Do you prefer AEW or Wwe? Or are you more of a bar wrestling fan ?

Does your yo-yo play style influence your wrestling style and vice versa?

Also just want to say I love your yo-yo design work for both Jake’s Dunk series and Recess. Great stuff. Excited to see all that you do with Turnbuckle!

1 Like

Besides yoyo and wrestling what are your other passions in life?

1 Like

Just a quick note! We are going to extend this through Saturday night since we are releasing CJ’s yoyo Sunday!

What or who inspired you to be a wrestler?

Who is your fav wrestler?

1 Like

What’s your favorite wrestling move?

I really like that you were inspired by older Japanese wrestling. I found it interesting in a lot of your responses that you mostly reference US yoyo companies as inspiration.

Do you enjoy any Japanese yoyo brands? If so, which is your favorite and which were you inspired by (if any)?

If you had to design a yoyo inspired by a US wrestler, who would it be?

Oh my bad! Knew I’d end up missing something.

Not specifically, for contests i used to clear my string tension SO much, way more than actually necessary lol.

Wrestling, my entrance music has a longish lead in, so before I go through the curtain, and I’ll kind jump around and loosen up and hype myself up a bit.

1 Like

Hey @CJ_trnbkl I’ve got one for you…

How do you balance an active wrestling schedule with free time to throw?

Also, how many hours a week do you devote to your yoyos?

2 Likes