case question

How do you cut a hole that will snugly fit an undersized throw? I mean normal undersized, not like popstar undersized.

I’ve made 3 cases now, and my only problem with the tomato paste can is that undersized throws don’t fit too snugly.
I’ve found that a bigger soup can is good for most 4a throws (or a jirorian :P)
and hunts tomato paste is great for oversized throws
but it’s these dang undersized throws that I just can’t find a good can for.
Hell, I’ve even found something for CWs.

get the small huntz tomato paste can

“and my only problem with the tomato paste can is that undersized throws don’t fit too snugly.”

Have you considered trying some metal tubing from the hardware store?

1 Like

actually no, I didn’t think of that. Thanks :slight_smile:
I’ll stop by a home depot later today or tomorrow if I get the chance.

That’s why he said use the SMALL tomato paste cans.

My wife uses those all the time, and unless your main throw is an Aoda Little Guy, you’re gonna be fine.

I’m assuming he’s talking about the huntz tomato paste cans that are about 2" diameter. Which is juuust over the diameter of an undersized throw. they fit, but they don’t fit snugly.

My wife’s using something smaller than that. She gets them at Costco, that’s all I can say.

It’s smaller in diameter than my ONE, but larger than my Little Guy, and therefore way larger than my Mighty Flea.

You can also just get a hole borer for drilling large holes and just use a size that seems to work for you. But for cutting through foam, it seems excessive, expensive and too single-purposeful. You could also make a pattern by first starting with your under-sized throw of choice, then use that to make your design that you then transfer to your foam. Whatever you use, make sure the blade is very thin and long. I like non-serrated edges since it makes less mess but requires a bit more patience but can result in cleaner cuts. Some people like serrated blade edges and do more sawing, but I find it requires more clean-up and the edges for me tend to fray over time. Do notice that many cases are using star or some other design that cuts in and out. This is to facilitate holding lots of different sizes securely without being set on any one size. The cut-ins are exaggerated in order to make this work.

Another idea, although it’s expensive, is a Pelican case. These are filled with die-cut foam, allowing you to remove bits to make almost whatever shape you want. Think reverse Lego. You may not get an exact fit, but you can get something close. The problem is that sometimes you have to take out too much so you end up with too large of an area. Before you remove blocks, put the item down to see what you SHOULD and SHOULD NOT remove. I suggest having a silver sharpie on hand to help in this process. In fact, before you begin, you should lay out everything onto the foam before you remove anything. Many are large enough where you can do multiple layers on the same case half depending on your layer thickness. Some can also hold a layer on the top as well.