Car finishes vs. Yo-yo finishes

Yeah anodized aluminum is the least interesting looking metal finish there is. All dull and flat and … freakin’ boring. I woud like to see a whole lot more of this:

If you don’t think that looks amazing and way better than a boring old solid matte anodization… I regret to inform you that some part of the light inside you has died. RIP that light.

That’s also why I think nickel plated looks good, as well as copper plated! Don’t make me show pics of my half-swapped nickel/copper Deep State again! BECAUSE I WILL :wink:

4 Likes

And this from @mullicabob. I HAVE NO WORDS FOR HOW INCREDIBLE THESE LOOK. Do you have any idea how much I’d pay for a yo-yo with this kind of true metallic auto-like finish? :money_mouth_face:

Boring flat anodized alu can suck it, as far as I’m concerned.

5 Likes

Wow.

1 Like

Absolutely. When compared to the above pics of metallic finishes that, y’know, look metallic? I mean it’s no contest.

2 Likes

Haha I have yet to figure out how he achieved this

1 Like

It looks like clear coat with additives to me?

Anyway his whole topic is EPIC, I just spent 3 hours cleaning that topic up by hand … and it was worth it!

I highly recommend checking it out:

But what about fades… I like fades.

That one was for @zslane :kiss:

But seriously! Two tone fade!

Also here’s another take on half-swapping…

5 Likes

Yoyos aren’t cars. Splashy cars look dumb, and splashy yoyos look beautiful.

4 Likes

I agree that polished finishes look amazing. In fact, I was marveling at that red yoyo when I saw it as a thread avatar here. What yoyo is that?

Fades can look okay, if they are very subtle, I guess. I don’t particularly care for them on cars either, to be honest.

I just think fades look cool when they’re spinning

2 Likes

I have a couple of fade yoyos and when they are spinning they take on a solid color appearance which is essentially the different colors blended together. Only when the yoyo has slowed down to below the threshold of persistence of vision does the blending stop and the different colors become apparent again. So in effect, a spinning fade becomes a solid finish anyway. I guess I figure the yoyo might as well just be that solid color to begin with. :man_shrugging:

A solid finish on a yo-yo accentuates the design of the yo-yo. The lines, curves, and the shape in general work with nothing other than light. Cars are designed with this in mind. It’s not the finish as much as the shapes of the body panels

2 Likes

i really dont mind much on my yoyo finishes, but there is one i despise.

Those ones that are shinnnnny and reflective and make your fingers sweat
(also they look terrible when you photograph them)

1 Like

Um, no. Just, no.

extra

Just so Jeff doesn’t think I hate all splashes, here are four that I actually like for one reason or another:

This one has a Van Halen vibe I totally dig:

vh54

This one just looks so tasty I want to eat/drink it:

cuppucino

This one has a combination of colors that look really good together, with a web-like pattern I find compelling:

jungleds

And lastly, I just think the Silverback Tiger splash is amazing, both in terms of its colors and its combination of splash pattern types:

PRime-8-1-e1543600459892

3 Likes

Isn’t the trigger plastic @zslane? I don’t think it should be in here… stickers on plastic is never really a good look, though, you’re right about that.

I’m just joshing you. I think preferring solids is a perfectly reasonable preference.

However, I will maintain – and I’m actually glad you pointed this out because until you did, I hadn’t realized this was a big part of it for me – anodized aluminum is a super boring look compared to most metal finishes you’d see on a car. They are way way fancier.

I mean, think about it: are car bodies ever made out of aluminum? Not really…

They can be, but even though the unibody may be made of aluminum, the body panels may be even different materials, like plastic, carbon fiber, or steel. I think most cheaper cars use steel body/steel panels and some plastic panels/fascia.

A mono-metal car would be odd indeed.

I see little connection between car and yoyo finishes.

And that is coming from a guy that was a Custom car and Harley motorcycle painter for over 23 years.

1 Like

The only connection I’m making is that I like solid finishes on yoyos for the same reason(s) I like solid finishes on cars (and the converse, that I dislike splashy/crazy finishes on yoyos for the same reason(s) I dislike them on cars). I tend to prefer simple, elegant aesthetics on just about any high-priced, high-quality object that I’m going to get a lot of use out of.