Can You Dye Strings?

I was wondering, instead of buying colored strings, can’t you dye your own(solid colors)? Buy some white strings and dying them would be pretty cool, it saves a bit of money(not a lot, you need to buy the dye). Has anyone done this?

Hmm the tie dye stuff that could work that stuff is meant to dye fabrics.

Yes you can dye them i did it myself a long time ago the problem is that the dye bleeds on your hands whale you are playing.

How? The only way I can see that happening is if you bought a low quality dye.

yes now that i think about it i was, so it might work…hem…cool.

no it does bleed, Ive tried it before with Rit Dye and the color stains your hands

Ill have to try for myself. Will the dye bleed into the bearing? And if it does, will that damage the bearing?

It shouldn’t because the string isn’t rubbing on the bearing like it is your hand

Yup, because the bearing doesnt move, the yoyo does.

It MIGHT, however, bleed onto the response because it is constantly rubbing against that.

Yes, it does.

Nope.

Yes it does.

The quality of the dye really doesn’t have a lot to do with it. It’s the process used to dye the string. What you do at home is not the same as a commercial/industrial dye process.

Hmm, did you guys wash the strings after dying them?

Will that prevent them from bleeding?

Yes it would, i feel so dumb not thinking about that.

We all do buddy, we all do.

You can use vinegar to set the dye. I have dyed many things with rit dye, from a g-shock to a yoyo.
you have to know the material, temperatures and additives, but it works allmost allways. `
Just be thorough when you chemically set the dye and wash it after.

1 Like

Go online, look up how to tye dye t-shirts. It’s basically the same process I’m sure, but with strings. The whole rinse with water, and then let dry is a super important step. It definitely prevents bleeding. I know that because you can’t wash the shirts in a dryer until they’re rinsed and dried, or they will bleed and contaminate the other clothes in the dryer :wink: good luck!

1 Like