Cake vs Pie

Cornish pasty is good, and i do like alot of different pies, but its just not cake. Pie is very much utilitarian, whereas cake is just decadent unashamed luxury.
I mean if you were going to work in the fields all day you’d take pie or a pasty, whereas if you were going courting it’d definitely have to be cake, possible some kind of chocolate affair.

1 Like

So, I’m not going to argue with you much because in my experience, names for recipes like these are heavily dependent on regional location and family history.

That said, I think it is more common to differentiate like this…Neither have a bottom crust and the toppings may or may not completely cover the fruit. However:

Crumble: Toppings that are some combo of flour, butter, and sugar, etc
Crisp: Toppings are similar to crumble but include oat/etc flakes (and sometimes spices or nuts) for a bit more of a “granola” style.

And in any case, I hear people use the two terms (and honestly, cobbler as well) pretty interchangeably. At the end of the day, I will eat any/all of them happily.

1 Like

I agree. Let’s not fight over pie
Anyway yes I forgot to write about the toppings. Lmao

Both. Salmon pie is amazeballs, but so is cheesecake. :wink:

Cake Pops

Not sure what a cake pop is but if it has the word cake, then its got my vote.

chocolate cake > chocolate pie
carrot cake > carrot pie
apple pie > apple cake
meat pie > meat cake

5 Likes

You haven’t had the right apple cake, in the south east we have this thing called an apple stack cake. When my Mamaw (grandmother) was alive she would take apples that she had dried and made an apple compote that was spread between thin layers of a lightly sweet thin cake (almost pancake thin) and usually about 5-8 layers,10 if it was a funeral.

7 Likes

I just drooled on my keyboard!

2 Likes

It’s the one thing I wish I could have of hers. The recipe for her stack cake and her biscuits.

1 Like

@twitch77 Those got me through college

2 Likes

𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘮𝘰𝘰𝘯 𝘩𝘪𝘵𝘴 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘦𝘺𝘦
𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦 𝘢 𝘣𝘪𝘨 𝘱𝘪𝘻𝘻𝘢 𝘱𝘪𝘦
𝘛𝘩𝘢𝘵’𝘴 𝘢𝘮𝘰𝘳𝘦

3 Likes

When you say 10 layers if it was a funeral…
I suppose you could class it as a bit of an artery buster.

Well guys,
What about bakewell tart ? is it pie or cake ?

Do brownies factor in here? 'Cuz I can get DOWN on some chewy brownies.

Oh, and baklava :drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face:

1 Like

2 very good choices there.
I should really like baklava but even for me its a little too sweet, and i think it boarders on pie as its pastry, or is it a tart ?
I think we need a chef type person…have we a chef on the plane please…

It’s a puff pastry. A tart isn’t a pie as typically has no other filling than the fruit, where as a pie has fruit and the juice and pectin. (The gooey pet of the pie)

A cobbler has no side crust only top and bottom (traditionally) a crumble has no top crust,

Brownies and cobbler are bomb

Cake is at the bottom of the pyramid for me

1 Like

Banana coconut crème pie with a nice slice of chocolate cake on top and then a layer of chocolate crème pie on top. I like to have my pie and cake and eat it too! :yum:

3 Likes

You gotta take a photo of it tho…

1 Like