Cake’s String Reviews (String Saturday)

also, @Captrogers and @IMArocketman have very generously donated string to review, so shoutout to those two! make sure to show them love, lots more to come in the future

5 Likes

shamelessly bumping my own thread amidst the usa drama :fire::fire::fire:

3 Likes

I somehow missed the past few. Glad you bumped!

1 Like

yeah ofc! i think i should do it more often so it gains traction but i don’t want to seem bothersome

If you do it on a specific day or something or days it’ll be neat and reliable. Whatever pace your happy with that’s not too cumbersome works those not interested will ignore.

2 Likes

let’s do string saturdays or sundays so it gives me leeway to not do a certain day and it gives reviews weekly, also gives me time to fully review. won’t be a completely set schedule, but it’s a general time i can post!

3 Likes

I like it and it isn’t set in stone just a cadence we can enjoy when it comes.

1 Like

alright, first String Sunday!! hopefully one review a week is enough, so start looking forward to them! this is another yysl string I had, and it is definitely interesting.

YoYoStringLab Ammo || B- (80/100)
Yo-Yo String Lab AMMO

First thoughts when i got it was how much it felt like type x, with just a tad more softness to it (so normal stock string). The next one was how thick it felt, but i realized I put it on my 4.4 gap arcade, so i swapped it out for the 4.58 pragma. Binds were surprisingly slippy after that. I did not expect that much of a difference, so if anyone knows if pragmas have a slip issue tell me so i can adjust the thickness points. In one whole hour of play, i made absolutely no dent in it. 100% polyester should not be this sturdy, but thank goodness it is. Whips and slacks felt amazing, the string just obeys you. However, the tension holding got worse quickly, and slacks and whips became harder due to the tension buildup. You can disregard this if you don’t care about having to fully adjust tension every 30 or 40 seconds, but I do. Consistency with slacks and whips were amazing though, it was just the tension that got in the way (unlike plutonium, which had a weird thick tension feel).
Realistically, this is probably going to be the lowest ranked yysl string. Just wasn’t my style, and had more issues than I expected. If pros use it though, who am I to say what fact it? Go try it for yourself, let me know what y’all think.

Durability 30 min (5)
Durability 1 hr (5)
Personal Thickness Feel (3)
Whip Feel Break-In (5)
Whip Feel 1 hr (3.5)
Slack Feel Break-In (4.5)
Slack Feel 1 hr (4)
Tension Hold over 1 hour overall (3)
Softness during break-in (3)
Overall consistency over 1 hour (4)
Total: 40 x 2, = 80, 80 = B- graded based on letter system (A: 100-90, B: 89-80, C: 79-70, D: 69-60, F: 60<)

As always, comments and questions are encouraged! After that USA thread, I’ve seen what y’all are capable of lol. Have a good rest of your weekend yall :saluting_face:

9 Likes

Surprise review!

YoYoStringLab Nytro+ || A- (93/100)
Nytro+

Once again, this has to be the softest string i’ve ever used. It felt a lot like Nytro (obviously), but there were different quirks due to the thickness. It felt a little snaggy on the 4.5 gap, so I put it on my Pragma (probably around 4.6 since it’s the 7075) and it’s very close to perfection. Never made a frat in the string the whole time, so i’ll be using this string for perfect score references for durability!
Whips and slacks right out of the pack felt amazing, zippy, and solid. It would have been perfect scores all across the board if it wasn’t for the thick tension mix that happens during slacks and whips if you don’t adjust tension often. For a string this price, I think it’s safe to want better tension holding. Even with that problem, every other factor was near perfection. The string isn’t perfect, but it’s damn close, so go pick some up! Stats are below.

Durability 30 min (5)
Durability 1 hr (5)
Personal Thickness Feel (4)
Whip Feel Break-In (5) fast, light. thickness helps a lot
Whip Feel 1 hr (4.5)
Slack Feel Break-In (5)
Slack Feel 1 hr (4.5)
Tension Hold over 1 hour overall (3.5)
Softness during break-in (5)
Overall consistency over 1 hour (5)

Total: 0-50 x 2, 93, 93 = A- graded based on letter system (A: 100-90, B: 89-80, C: 79-70, D: 69-60, F: 60<)

News for y’all, tons of string came in from my end thanks to the wonderful people at @IMArocketman ‘s A&A string and the wonderful individual @Captrogers. Reviews are pretty stacked for the foreseeable future, so recommendations will get priority to help out as many as possible. Thanks for reading! :heart_hands:

13 Likes

Hey @theendofcake, Slackies are one of my favorites so I have three or four bundles of them. I’d be happy to send you some to review if you like. I also have HKMT Arata, Mowl, Sochi, and a bundle of Kitty you can just have. I hate Kitty string. I might be tricked into giving you some Ziplines, but they’re my #1’s so we’ll see how that goes. :joy:

If you want some just let me know how many of each brand you need for your testing purposes (consider long term and such as well) and DM me your shipping info. And don’t sweat the cost, I got it.

5 Likes

that’s such a sweet offer! i’ll be in contact :heart_hands:

1 Like

Hey y’all, i know it isn’t String Saturday like I established, but that’ll have to be postponed since my birthday is tomorrow and I probably won’t want to review something this weekend.
However, I do have the first string review out of three from the wonderful @IMArocketman! It was sent free of charge specifically to be reviewed, and I couldn’t be happier for this opportunity directly from the company. Let’s review it!

A&A Yoyo String Formula 1 || A- (93/100)

Just want to open with the fact that I am not obligated to say anything good about this string. That being said, this does NOT mess around. Tested it out on my new Monarch, I think this is the perfect thickness for me. Doesn’t snag at all, binds perfectly, doesn’t feel like a heavy jacket when whipping like some strings I used. Whips were good, and slacks broke the scale, so I’m giving it one extra point. Slacks and suicides were laughably easy, kept form like the string was frozen. Whips felt like a breeze and it stayed like that from after the break-in to the hour mark, with no dent in it (which is surprising since the string is a nylon/poly blend).
The only issue is, guess what, tension hold. This string has the attributes to be touching perfection if it just has a bit more tension holding strength, but it doesn’t. The tension messed up a few of my tricks enough times where I noticed a problem. Maybe it’s a luck of the draw scenario, but I felt like noting it.
This knocked it from an A+ to an A-, but it’s still an A! Overall, it’s an incredibly good string with amazing colors if you’re into those. As of now, this is the string I recommend the most if the tension was bad luck. It feels amazing, period. Below are the stats, along with bonus notes I took while playing. I normally delete them, but content is content!

Durability 30 min (5)
Durability 1 hr (5) no sign of wear
Personal Thickness Feel (5) perfect on my monarch. felt amazing, not too fat and not too skinny.
Whip Feel Break-In (4.5) could be a tad more solid feeling
Whip Feel 1 hr (4.5) same
Slack Feel Break-In (6) broke the scale, oh my lord. looked frozen
Slack Feel 1 hr (4.5) bit of tension problems
Tension Hold over 1 hour overall(3) messy break-in, after is a bit better
Softness during break-in (4), slightly coarse but it goes away
Overall consistency over 1 hour (5) thanks nylon!
Total: 46.5 x 2 = 93, 93 = A- graded based on letter system (A: 100-90, B: 89-80, C: 79-70, D: 69-60, F: 60<)

Big thanks to Amelia and Aaron at A&A for sending me this string to review. This is one out of three strings, so look forward to those. Thanks for reading :heart_hands:

14 Likes

Happy Birthday!

1 Like

Awesome review, I love A&A string I expect you’ll find formula V to be the sweet spot or at least fix that tension issue it’s my personal favorite.

Happy early birthday I think we all will forgive you for taking your birthday weekend off lol.

Once your through A&A you should do string werx. Those two have been my go to string for a bit now.

2 Likes

I have one last stringwerx string from my dopamine pride pack, i’ll review that one. for any other string i’ll either dm michael or use the pack you gracefully sent me :saluting_face:

1 Like

Love the string reviews and HBD!

3 Likes

thanks! i want to help as many people as possible choose their favorite strings, so im glad people are enjoying it

1 Like

Thanks for the review! Love the honesty and transparency, always fun to read these. Happy birthday!

2 Likes

of course! thank you for sending me these to review, it means the world

2 Likes

That time of the week! I’ll guaranteed do a string review every weekend, but i’ll add bonus ones when i have the time. Here’s #2/3 on the A&A list!

A&A Yoyo String Formula V || B (84/100)

This string feels good on the hand, but right off the bat it is REALLY thin, or at least feels thin due to incredibly slippy binds on my Monarch. I put it on my 4.1 gap Orca and that made it “good string”. No immediate faults, and it does everything well! The main issue I found is how inconsistent it felt, which surprised me since I felt I was doing everything correctly. Everything else is solid though, you just kind of don’t know where the solidness will land. I would really only recommend this on too snappy yo-yos for casual throwing, nothing else. There are better strings for competition out there, and there are better strings for thickness feel. If you feel like treating yourself, this is great boutique string for laid back sessions! When these hit big box retailers, i’ll definetly be picking up these two past string. Here are the rankings as always.

Durability 30 min (4) frays
Durability 1 hr (5) stayed!
Personal Thickness Feel (3) gotta put some ■■■■■■■■ low rpm binds, really shows with laceration binds. used orca 4.1 mm
Whip Feel Break-In (4.5) could be pushed
Whip Feel 1 hr (4) a bit sloppy, probably on me
Slack Feel Break-In (5)
Slack Feel 1 hr (4) had some moments
Tension Hold over 1 hour overall (5) great, high quality
Softness during break-in (4.5) feels great
Overall consistency over 1 hour (3)

Total: 42 x 2 = 84, 84 = B graded based on letter system (A: 100-90, B: 89-80, C: 79-70, D: 69-60, F: 60<)

If you’ve tried this string, what do you think? Any feedback or suggestions for me and my grading is always appreciated, I talked to resident cool guy @EOS44 about grading and the influence of reviews, so just a reminder to look at my disclaimer on the main post: This is not fact, it is only my opinion after 60 minutes of play time. I am not a professional, but I am always improving in my review process and skill level to gain a deeper understanding for how strings affect play.

Besides that, have a great day yall :saluting_face::heart_hands:

12 Likes