C3 yoyodesign Di Base?

I got some suggestions from another thread but i set my eyes on this one. Is it any good? What are the pros and cons?

This would be my first metal yoyo.

This was my first C3 yoyo. It was $50 for a CalStates version and it was bronze and taunting me while I was running sound at CalStates in 2012.

I like V shapes with rounded rims. This is a V-shape with rounded rims. It’s a mid-sized yoyo I think, and I’m more into full sized, but even so I do like variety. It came complete with the yoyo, bearing puller, weight rings and a string.

I put in the weight rings, hated it, it was vibey. I removed the weight rings and it was smooth, solid and stable, absolutely everything I’d hoped it would be.

The pro is for the size, it plays twice the price and can handle nearly any modern trick, including arm/finger grinds, thumb grinds, IRG’s, horizontal and gyro tricks. Not bad for a $55 yoyo!

The downsides come down to preferences and what you do or don’t like.

The C3 brand has consistently impressed me with their releases that I have purchased. It’s a brand I really enjoy a lot and will be buying more of. I think you will enjoy it.

What are weight rings? And from what u say i think this is my kind of yoyo :slight_smile:

Weight rings are typically a rubber gasket that is pushed into place on a yoyo. For example, in the Dibase, there is a groove on the outer rim that the rubber rings fit into. I prefer heavier, but in my case, the weight rings gave me vibe. I removed the weight rings and I felt the performance was spot on flawless.

On the Magic YoYo N11, it also uses weight rings and does a similar thing, just with larger rubber rings. I find the N11 plays better with the weight rings and is smooth either way.

With Duncan FHZ’s(among other Duncans), you have to pop the cap off and then insert the weight ring. I have found this often adds vibe.

Weight rings are basically rubber rings that add weight to the Yoyo by the way you should totally get the Di Base as your first metal it was mine too. It is truly a great throw when I first threw the thing it like wow what have I been missing when you throw your first metal.

In your opinion what is different with a metal vs hybrid or plastic?

What do you mean?

A metal is all metal.

I don’t call those with metal and plastic to be hybrids, I call them metal/plastics. They are often a plastic body with a metal rims.

Plastic with a visible metal weight ring, such as the Phenomizm and XCon pro are still largely considered plastics. Stuff like the Protostar, Northstar and Trigger are considered plastics. Despite the Chaser and Legacy II using large washer-like metal inserts, they are also considered plastics.

Of course, plastics are plastic yoyos, being made almost entirely from plastic. Delin and celcon yoyos also do fall into this category.

Ain’t nothing wrong with any kind of yoyo. Each DESIGN has its own strengths and weaknesses unique to that particular design. While the Anglam is my favorite, I have no problem grabbing a DM2 or an upgraded Classic, or anything else in my collection to play.

What i meant was that what is the different feel between metals, hybrids (metal/plastics) and plastics.

Not to evade the question, but the differences are their differences. Each model is unique, regardless of the materials.

Are you looking for something specific? Specific models?

In general, metals will be the smoothest and quietest. Metal/plastics may have some vibe and can be noisy, but can also be very smooth. Plastics can also have vibe and will have some noise.

There’s great stuff in all categories.

Reason y im asking these things is because since ive never had a metal before i want to know exactly why they are so pricy vs other yoyos that might be plastic/metals and are much cheaper.

First, metal is machined. This involves designing the yoyo with a CAD program, and then transfering that to some sort of multi-axis CNC machine. Testing can be somewhat expensive. Delrin is machined the same way. Some use inserts for the axle seat, some axles seats are just machined. There are also different grades of aluminum, which also affects price. The prices charged for materials, machine time and machining can vary greatly. However, I have discovered that prices of the finish product can range tremendously for finished products on the market. I’ve played amazing metal yoyos that have sold for super cheap(under $20, serious!) to $350. I honestly don’t know how some companies can be selling their product(especially in small runs) for prices like $35 or so and it still being amazing.

Plastics(except delrin) typically will use some sort of injection molds. The molds are very expensive. The prices of the molds are off-set by the numbers that are produced. There are different kinds of plastics used in yoyos, which can have an impact on price.

Yoyos made of plastic bodies with metal rims, you have a bit of each: machining of parts from aluminum, plus injection molding of plastics, plus press fitting the parts together.

It really comes down to the design.

With metal, you have way more control over weight placement. Being one solid piece of a rigid material, it is less prone to vibration. Designers can do a lot more with metal than plastic due to this. Also, it’s easier to make yoyos be rim weighted, center weighted or even a mid-weighting as a result of being able to control weight placement.

With plastics, often times, metal components(such as weight rings or washers) are hidden inside to get the weight not only to the proper amount of weight, but also to where the weight needs to be, which is often around the edge of the rims.

With the plastic yoyos with metal rims, the weight is often distributed out to the rim since the metal is heavier than the plastic body. Also, the metal will grind better than plastic.

Honestly, I don’t get the prices. RecRev, for example, is a company known for making amazing stuff but at prices that are super low. The Freq.Wav is on par with the Chief in my opinion, yet half the price. Serious.

C3 is another brand, that things like the DiBase and Capless easily play like a $100+ yoyo.

Are the high-dollar yoyos worth it? I can get in trouble here by saying “yes, I often think the prices are either appropriate or in many cases, a bit under-priced”.

By starting with a very affordable metal like the DiBase, you’re getting a budget metal that lacks budget attributes. The only “budget” aspect is the price. Play is amazing. Once you get more stuff, including more expensive stuff, you’ll start to understand this better.

Not to boast my collection much, but it’s sizable and a lot of variety. You’d be able to play stuff from low in price to high in price and have a chance to really understand why things cost what they cost. Another thing is seeing how things play and perform. Only through experience can you really be able to comprehend how this all comes together. I did this via my bank account, 1 yoyo at a time. I did this without the help of others and mostly through buying what I thought I would like and fortunately, liking it.

My advice: you’ve chosen a great first metal. I think between that, the Capless and the RecRev Sine//Saw are all excellent not only first metal choices, but excellent choices for metal yoyos that are extremely affordable in price and will blow you away in regards to performance.

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. It helps me a lot. :slight_smile: