Bye Bye Yoyojam...

Yoyojam closed their doors today (december 30, 2015). It’s really sad to see this one go. I never really enjoyed yoyojam too much, however, they make great starter and intermediate plastics and have nice high-budgets. They even had the first actually popular offstring yoyo, the aquarius. I hope Dale, the founder, goes on and makes something knew. Even if this company failed, no one said he couldn’t go make another. I doubt he will, but you never know! what do you guys think?

I wouldn’t say his company failed.  Yyj came out with many innovative and revolutionary designs that shaped and inspired many yoyos today.  I don’t really think Dale had a choice but to shut down the company, due to health reasons.  I’m pretty sure thats why Yoyojam had been so out of the picture these last few years.

In memory of such a great company here are a few of his most revolutionary designs:

Spinfaktor, with it’s patented outer ring design.  Correct me if I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure that it was the first production yoyo to feature metal rims. http://www.yoyomuseum.com/museum_view.php?action=view&subaction=exhibit&exhibitid=718

The speeder.  Hiroyuki won worlds with this not once, not twice but three times with this sucker.  http://www.yoyomuseum.com/museum_view.php?action=view&subaction=exhibit&exhibitid=59

The Night Moves three, first production yoyo to feature Titanium.  http://www.yoyomuseum.com/museum_view.php?action=view&subaction=exhibit&exhibitid=89

If you want to see more of the old classic Yoyojams check out the Museum of yoyo history’s 6 pages of them here: http://www.yoyomuseum.com/museum_view.php

R.I.P Yoyojam

Welp. At least they made really good throws that didn’t break the bank too much. Still play everyday with either my Classic or Go Big.

When was the last time a company shut down? Off the top of my head SPYY and H-Spin right? I can’t actually think of another major name that is gone now.

Ummm, NO, the company did not fail. It was shut down for health reasons of the owner.

Here’s the yoyonews bit on it.

And the initial post about it here:
rest in peace yoyojam

3 Likes

If anything I’d say YYJ succeeded and left an impact on the yoyo industry - the firsts to introduce 2 different materials to enhance the weight distribution.

My most recent YYJ purchase was a Karma which feels much like one of today’s modern bimetals. Unfortunately it seems like that yoyo in particular was a head of its time and never really caught on. Now you can snag one for just a little over half of its initial cost.

Tempted to get the YYJ Diamondback 2 while they’re still here. Maybe that will be my first throw of 2016.

It saddens me a lot because it’s my favorite company. However if it’s the best for Dale’s health then I’m all for it.

Yoyo jam failed about as much as cheesesteaks did in Philadelphia.

Dale is reaching the a part of his life where he just needed to minimize stress and the company sadly had to go.

Yoyo jam will be remembered as a company that helped make the yoyo community what it is today.
Saying it failed is really a slap in the face of every person who ever was on the yoyo jam team and ever played a yoyo jam yoyo.

1 Like

I always dreamed of being on team yoyojam. I guess I’ll never achieve that goal. :-\

I need a YYJ, now!

Interesting how there is no talk of the damage that YoyoJam did to the American yo-yo industry over the last 3-5 years. Yeah, YoyoJam was influential in 1999 -2009 time frame but what about recently?

Innovation seemed to leave the American market as Asian manufacturers, unconstrained by the ridiculously overreaching and equally ambiguous “YoyoJam patent”, innovated and created the emerging Bi-Metal industry.

Yes, YoyoJam was influential, but not always in positive ways. I see the stagnation at YoyoJam and their insistence on believing that they had patented physics; that has led to the explosion of Asian manufacturers and their Bi-Metal products while North American manufacturers seem to be playing catch-up.

One has to wonder what the result would have been had North American manufacturers been able to experiment, innovate and release Multi-material yo-yo’s without the fear of litigation from Dale.

Good point. If that patent hadn’t been in play, maybe I’d have an easier time finding a Rogue or a DV8.

Give it a rest. Yoyo patents have been beaten to death…

In any event, have some respect.

Hi everyone. I haven’t posted on YYE for many years (2009 I think was the last) and I thought I would add my thoughts. I just recently got back into yoyoing and I’ve been reading a bit about this situation. Just wanted to say that this company got me into yoyoing in late 2007 with an orange Speed Maker and a Triple Jam (a throw I wish so badly I still had) I bought off YYN. I’ve always looked up to YYJ, especially since I learned to yoyo from Andre whom I’d always associated closely with YYJ. I learned most of what I know on YYJ throws, going from those original two yoyos to an original Dark Magic, and eventually, a Trinity, which was one of my first metals. It saddens me to see this occur with the company, especially returning to yoyoing after a few years, but your health comes first and is very important. I wish the owner(s) and team the very best and with a thank you for getting me into this awesome, unique hobby.

My point was not about the patent, it was about the effect that YYJ has had on the recent evolution of the yo-yo market in retrospect. Since they only recently announced plans to close, it is difficult to see how the topic has even been discussed much less “a beaten-horse”, as your oh-so-clever graphic suggests.

In any event, discussion about the “patent” and its application would appear to be mooted as of today. How that set of facts was in-place anytime before today is also unclear.

Great discussion.

My perspective could be questioned but for added note, for my years between proyo and YoYoFactory I imported and sold yoyojam yoyo into Australia and have always been a fan.

YoYoJam lifted the bar. There was a time where if you wanted to complete the compulsory tricks required to get you to the freestyle finals at worlds and nationals you basically HAD to use a yoyojam yoyo. It was that simple. Almost 100% dominant. It was more than that. It was the model. Money flowing to players, new exciting releases that keep yoyo exciting. Its the model used to this day. keeping the focus on product innovation… Was that it for innovation? did yoyojam own it until their patents expired? No. in 2007 Yuuki Spencer and 40% of the finalists at worlds used 888s and the world never looked back. Metal yoyos became the future. The pivot had been made. Metal yoyos with the lower barrier to entry for manufacturers and increased precision. This low barrier to entry have let many new brands enter the market. They carve away piece by piece the profits yoyojam needed to stay around. Say its health but no profitable business just closes its doors. It became too much hard work with too little return. We live in the post yoyojam era, created by the innovation it took to not infringe on the patent.
Great innovators fade all the time. Its a failure to recognize the switch or to change with the tide. Its not a unique story.

I will remember YoYoJam fondly and hold the highest respect for its place in history and the level of yoyo play in the world today. We wouldn’t be where we are without them.

Whats next?

Gee, Im excited are you?

5 Likes

I’m really upset to see YYJ go. I’ve been a huge fan for years and even though I became more interested in other companies not too long after the release of the Revolution, I loved every yoyo I bought from them. Their team was always super nice too. In my opinion, I don’t think I’ll have better offstring yoyos than the Go Big and the Big Yo. My final purchase was a classic, and I’m so happy with it.

If anything, YYJ had a great run. I went through being a beginner to advanced using their yoyos. They will always stay in my heart as one of my favorite companies. RIP YoyoJam, I love you!

Very sorry to see YYJ come to an end, especially given that it was catalyzed by Dale’s health. But I’ll still continue to love playing my Kicksides, Lyn Fury’s and Hitmen. Those were (and are!) some wickedly good yoyos. It still inspires to remember that this

was done on a $15 Lyn Fury. Thanks for the great run, YYJ!

2 Likes