Buying my first metal... suggestions?

Don’t let a $5 yoyo designed to be stocked at Walmart keep you away from a premium high end bi-metal.

The butterfly is notoriously not that awesome, (fixed metal axle :face_vomiting:) but the GTX is one of the finest yoyos around.

2 Likes

I really enjoy my basecamp jackknife! The finish they use is incredible for grinds. It’s also relatively compact, so I’d assume it’s good for chopsticks. Although I’m terrible at them so I can’t say for certain

4 Likes

Topyo Raiser is well under your budget and checks every box. Really good yoyo overall and great for chopsticks. Not the best grinder but gets the job done.

3 Likes

+1 for the Top Deck. It really is a phenomenal yoyo. It was my first metal about 2 years ago, and it is still in regular rotation.

3 Likes

I’m with @Jhammond93 on getting a Basecamp Jackknife or Expedition! I haven’t played with a Jackknife yet, but I do own an expedition and it’s one of the best throws I’ve ever used!
Plus with either of these throws…if you buy them on yoyoexpert, you get a free Basecamp Sherpa in the color of your choice!

Are you willing to buy a used yo? You could try to hunt down a G2 Banshee. The 2018 one that I have is insane! Without a doubt the best playing yo I’ve touched (my expedition is second best)…you can find them at around the $75 mark in mint condition.

3 Likes

MK1 Diffraction 2
High performance design
Chopsticks like Mr. Miyagi
Grinds like a subway stalker
$70 Wing Wangs leaves room to buy fancy strings

8 Likes

Oh yeah…the MK1 Diffraction 2 looks amazing!

5 Likes

Can recommend one highly.

Super lovely

7 Likes

Wouldn’t blue/green be a more compatible half-swap? :thinking:

I present Exhibit A if it pleases the court

7 Likes

For 100$, get a bi-metal if you wanna risk it. It’s more fragile and breakable but it’s so much better in terms of performance
Some options are:
MYY Stealth
iYoyo Steel
DRAUPNIR (if ur feeling really ballsy)
The Marco is a very good throw, but it’s YYF
But for metals, Get the One Drop Gradient or the YoTricks Forge

Or an Iceberg which is amazing

Yeah, blue green swap looks nice, but…

I just prefer it this way.
I’d rather have blue monos anyway (pink string looks wicked sick on them)

2 Likes

The Top Deck does seem like a really good choice based on your preferences. The only thing I would say is that there are better choices for grinding.

My suggestions are:

1. Freshly Dirty Cardboard Steamboat - It has a very unique shape that gives it a somewhat floaty but higher performance feel. The grind finish is exquisite and it would be great for chopsticks. Readily available on YoYoExpert and their company website.

1. Freshly Dirty x Radical Seas Canary - Also a unique shape. It has a smaller size-D bearing that gives it a different feel from other yoyos. Again, amazing grind finish and would be great for chopsticks. Readily available on their website (they won’t be producing any more after these ones are gone).

I am in no way associated with FD, I just love their yoyos :slight_smile:. Their prices and quality are amazing.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the great suggestions friends! I decided to go with a Basecamp Jacknife, it has a real clean look that I enjoy and while it’s a bit closer to YYF than I’d like, it still seems a wonderful option. Special thanks to @Jhammond93 and @twitch77!

I was this close Top Deck. Maybe next time, OD.

6 Likes

Awesome! I think you’re going to love it!! :smiley:
Will you be buying it on yoyoexpert so you can get a free Sherpa with it? And what color(s) will you be going with?

2 Likes

Congrats on the progress. A note on YYF, every time you get the chance to throw one, take it, even if you’ve thrown it before because you may feel something you didn’t before. Something as simple as a different string can change the characteristics of the feel and experience. I didn’t like the K’edge at all when I first got it, sat in the shelf for a while, when I picked it up again months later I was in love and still can’t believe I didn’t appreciate it sooner.

4 Likes

I did purchase it through YYE! Coming to me will be a Grey Jackknife and a black Sherpa. Also, those gnarly lightsaber strings :grin:

3 Likes

That’s awesome dude :smiley: :smiley:
Can’t wait for you to get them in the mail! Mail days rock! lol

Right on man, glad we could help! The Sherpa is a blast to throw as well! I play it responsive, and have gravitated back to it quite frequently since I got it! That gray is a sharp color too!

1 Like

Aww, thanks guys! Maybe for his third yoyo.

The Jackknife/Sherpa combo is pretty sweet. You’re going to enjoy them, @OriginalEnvoy!

2 Likes

That’s $250…

2 Likes