Butterfly AL Caps

Hey hey, I’m just wondering if anyone has removed the caps from a Butterfly AL (not the delrin one). I really love how mine feels, but I just wonder how it would play with a couple grams off the sides. Is this a suction cup situation?

1 Like

Use an air pump. Wear earplugs.

Haha, yeah? Like a bicycle pump pressed against the inside hub? Is it permanent, or can I snap them back in if I hate it? :grin:

1 Like

Bike pump is fine. Remove axle and bearing then stick valve into hole and pump. It’ll pop out. Might have to put tape around for a seal.
You can replace them.

1 Like

is the OG butterfly al axle hole tapped through, or is it solid at the base? I havent had one in so long i dont remember

Actually I may be thinking of a different yoyo. There are so many butterfly/freehand variations now I get mixed up. I cannot confirm the air pump method will work on the all metal Butterfly AL, but it definitely works on other Duncan capped models. Be careful!

Zzzz

The original Butterfly AL? This one?

I vote that this one’s caps are not removable.

1 Like

Yeah. If it’s this one then I think your right.

Yeah, that one. Looks like there’s a pinhole under the axle. I’ll explore further and report back. :man_scientist:t2:

1 Like

The caps are almost certainly just press fit like other caps, I doubt theyre more permanent than that. I also wouldn’t be surprised to be wrong on that, so good luck!

I know these aren’t what you’re asking about but I prefer how all 3 play without the caps… And I also happen to think they look better without the caps too

Butterfly AL 2023, small bearing Freehand, small bearing Freehand mini

4 Likes

I have one and never tried. I can fiddle with it tomorrow a bit.

I just picked up mine. I haven’t played it in ages. It’s a real chonker. Is the goal to cut weight?

I have the Unknown edition which I believe has a different finish and it does not look to me like anything is removable on the half.

Goal is just to see how it plays without them.

So I’m happy to report, that the caps indeed can be removed. I put a presta valve adapter on my bike pump and it made a perfect seal. 2-3 pumps and BANG!

The caps weigh 8 grams each, bringing it from 62g down to 46g! So yeah, it’s super light now and plays kinda weird. :laughing:

11 Likes

Looks great!!!

1 Like

Nice! I was almost certain that would NOT work. I’m glad I was wrong.

I wonder if some weight rings or maybe even some plastic butterfly caps would give you more of the weight you’re looking for

2 Likes

Interesting. I wonder if those are standard Duncan cap size. If so could add weight rings or caps that are half the original weight and tune it to preference. If time allows I might do this with mine.

1 Like

Or better yet 3D print some cool custom caps.

3 Likes