Budget organic recommendations

While I’m not looking to buy right this second, I eventually would like to have a modern organic again.

Before I sold my collection, I had a PDX-Yo Batsquatch, which was the best organic I’d tried and my 2nd favorite yoyo I’ve tried period. I’d love to have another Batsquatch or to try a SS Koi or Motion Harmonic, but I’m also trying not to spend a lot.

What I’m looking for:
• Something used under $45 shipped would be good (the less the better)
• Decent performer - reasonably powerful and stable
• size C or D bearing
• < 45mm wide
• a little floatiness?

Size doesn’t matter so much. I have in mind mid-size or even undersized if it still performs well, but I’m open to full size options too.

My old Duncan Metal Drifter is honestly one of the most fun throws I have (minus the frequent knots and snags), despite its somewhat laughable performance by modern standards. I can’t quite put my finger on why, but I think it’s more than just because it’s organic. It’s zippy, easy to hold, and just feels fun (real objective descriptor there). Maybe the size and controlability from lack of rim-weight plays into it. Anyways, something that feels like that but peforms better would be great.

I’ve been eying the Reticulated Boa. For those who’ve played it, does that seem like it would fit the bill? Open to suggestions.

Arcade from Yotricks is a great option, the Plastic Peak is one of my fav organics as well.

Finding an intro or nitro from OD on the 2nd hand market might also work

2 Likes

You mention the Stainless Koi…why not just the regular Koi? It’s around your pricerange and meets the other criteria? I mean it’s 1mm more narrow than your 45mm width req…but…you know. Close neough for government work?

6 Likes

I have certainly considered it. It’s rare to see any YYFr with less than 100% glowing reviews. Surprisingly, I’ve read of several people who didn’t like the Al Koi, some of which did like the SS version. I take it you’re a fan?

The narrower width is actually what I’m looking for, so that’s a plus.

I mean…I don’t play a lot of organics. And when I first played it I didn’t like it. But the second time around I liked it enough that I’m actually considering buying one currently.

It’s a pretty good yoyo. Whether it compares to the steel one I don’t know. Haven’t played that one. But it’s affordable, good materials…and I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone actually give BAD feedback on it. Just less than stellar some times.

1 Like

For yyfs a-MAY-zing deals, they have b grade kommunes for only 10 bucks, idk if they’re any good, but I snagged two and I’ve heard good things from others

3 Likes

Also a very good reccomendation. Kommune is based on the Kapital. I don’t have a Kommune but I LOVE the Kapital.

2 Likes

I prefer Intro over Nitro but both are great options. Intro is one of my favorites just for its simplicity! It just plays!! It is however a little more dense on the string if you’re thinking pure organic!

If a boss pops up snag one as well those are super cool

1 Like

Aside from responsive organic like the Turbo Grind Machine I’ve only tried the Freehand AL as an organic. I’ve not put my hands on any other. Where does the FH AL stand in the realm of organic? I’ve thought about getting suggestions for a good one that is generally liked for its feel and abilities. I like the idea of budget but at the same time don’t mind paying a little more to get one that is more likely NOT to leave me wanting to try another. I just prefer suggestions for something that a person can actually get their hands on these days without preforming the ceremony and begging the BST. :rofl:

My impression is that the Koi is pretty universally well regarded. The only thing I’ve seen that came close to a complaint is that it is more power oriented than what some people expected. But that was more often a selling point.

The Show Pony is also good, plays much lighter than the Koi and is relatively inexpensive.

1 Like

I also got two

1 Like

I going to put in a recommendation for the MK1 Tangent. For 5 buck more you get a full size throw with amazing performance.

1 Like

What colors?
I got red and brown (for a half swap of course :wink:)

Get a sense next journey. $35 of pure organic joy.

1 Like

Freehand One AL with plastic caps is my favorite non competitive shaped yoyo ever and probably my favorite yoyo I’ve bought since like 2017. Seen many pop up for $30-40 mint on the BST. Super floaty. Due to its light weight (around 60 grams), its stability and spin time are not fantastic, but this weight is also what provides you with a very unique and enjoyable experience. You do need to supply your own plastic caps from a FH One. Prolly plays nice with the stock caps, honestly never tried it.

I was REALLY impressed by the performance of the Plastic Peak, it was unfortunately just too large for my preferences. They pop up pretty regularly on the BST for $25ish. Don’t think metal is your only option. Machined polycarb plays fantastic when done well.

For A-May-Zing from YYF at the moment: Edgeless, Kommune and Too HOT are worth a look. I didn’t like the Too HOT as I recall and I know nothing about the other two, but the prices are nice.

2 Likes

What didn’t you like about the Too Hot? I just snagged one.

1 Like

Just felt a little funny in my hands even though I liked how it played. Pretty sure I bought one twice because I wanted to need one, but I’m super picky with what I keep and hand comfort is really important to me. Solid yoyo that tons of people really liked when it released.

1 Like

Top Yo T.R.Y. is superb at almost everything. It performs very well and is cheap.