Breathe?

No secret. We did not machine this yoyo. We did supply bearings and pads but had no involvement in the manufacturing.

2 Likes

To those that wish to “fight” this patent; please note the new patent laws as of last year. Patents are now granted on the basis of who files first. The merit of the patent is no longer an issue. The first to file - wins.

Isn’t America great? All you need is $ and the idea is yours!

Hmm, so even if someone sold a yoyo with said feature, it would not matter…

That’s an incomplete understanding of the system. Actual manufactured products out in the wild mean nobody can patent it period… that’s still the case.

The law change is horrible none the less, but it doesn’t impact this particular discussion.

Kyle

I’ve worked with very good patent lawyers in my business. What they will tell you is that anyone can file a patent for anything. Sure, it goes through a review process but an approved patent is still not enforceable especially if another product is already too similar.

Lawyers will also tell you that a patent allows you to sue somebody if you have a million dollars. Patent fights are by far the most expensive legal process.

Right, I was ignoring that the whole idea isn’t really patentable or enforceable to begin with, but I’d rather it not exist at all and save everybody the trouble.

The only winners in patent law are the lawyers.

It looks cool to me until I get a string stuck in one of those sharp edged cutouts and it slices it, sending my yoyo into an unsuspecting child, injuring him, leaving him disabled and ruining the lives of him and his parents. Then the real lawsuit begins… OHHHH I only jest! I can see it now “Todays top story on channel 7 action news…child severely lacerated and disabled by new yoyo prototype”

But seriously, its all fun and games till a pinky gets stuck in one of those holes…

The only thing that is actually funny about your post, is that not one statement you made was fact based or rooted in reality as we know it.

Now I would think it more likely, that a security guard, while yoing to pass the time at a nuclear power plant…Might break a string and send the Breathe into a trip lever, accidentally shutting down a prime core cooling system. And the subsequent Atomic fusion would result in a Total Chernobyl type meltdown. Completely destroying the Entire population of the Western Hemisphere.

But look at the good side of disaster. Nobody left to sue anybody.

I like happy endings.

PS… One funny little drawback of Patents. You get an idea that is amazing. And you decide that before you make a bunch of ‘them’(whatever your product is), you want to make sure you cover your Brainstorm with a Patent.

You are sure people are going to try to copy your idea, so you want to hook up with a patent Lawyer and write down EXACTLY, the details of your product. You pound it out and go through the process and your Patent is approved! Great news, right?

So now, anybody and everybody, that thinks your idea is the next big thing; they don’t have to do a whole lot of guessing about your product. All they have to do now, is to study your Patent. The majority of secrecy about your Patent, is now Public access information. So anybody that wants to make some money off your idea, just has to seriously study your Patent details and figure out ways around your Patent, to make a similar product.

You paid the 20 grand so everybody and their momma can look at your Master plan.

Fun stuff.

1 Like

OH I was soooooo gonna go with Western Hemisphere cataclysm. I let that stupid dog of mine talk me out of another great American disaster scenario theory…I’m seriously putting him down when he becomes of age…

Reverse engineering a released product isn’t hard though, right? It might be too late by then though.

I saw that these sold-out pretty quickly here. Does anyone who has one want to share their thoughts/opinions on this yoyo?

My mom is a patent examiner, and when people submit a patent (through a patent lawyer), it is thoroughly inspected, then an intensive search is done, looking for any similarities with an existing product. So if IYYC does indeed submit a patent, I highly doubt it would be approved.

Hard to say. Without looking at the documents, we don’t know what new or improved process they are referring to. If it’s sufficiently improving upon an existing process it’s not absurd to think it could be granted.

Thanks, updated the post on YoYoNews to reflect this.

FYI, on the patent front, once an application has been filed, it is required that the application be published 18 months from the application date (or earlier, at the author’s request), with a few exceptions. Contents of the application are not available to the general public until this publication date. If an application date is known, it becomes a watching/waiting game to see what the patent application says. This requires manual monitoring of published patent applications, whether you know the application date or not. I’ve been involved in many patents, both from applying, as well as searches and monitoring of applications being published. Lots of intrigue there…

db