Breaking in a bearing

About how long does it usually take to break in a new bearing? I’ve been throwing my New Breed for like 2 hours and it’s still responsive. :frowning:

Perhaps it came with a dirty bearing, or maybe some of the response pad got inside the bearing seat. Unscrew it and take out the bearing and take a look. Then take out any gunk inside. Also, you could try cleaning it with mineral spirits which can be found at a local hardware store. That usually does the trick for me.

Depends on your throw, if you can throw with consistant high rpms, you will be able to break it in faster. If it is a fully lubed bearing it will take a bit maybe upto a week. maybe as early as 4 hours. Just depends on the bearing your yoyo and your throw. I have had a stock lubed duncan bearing to unresponsive on me in less then 3 hours once. But I also had one that took about a week to break in.
You can always clean it real good, then lube it up with a thinner lube, and that will give you something like a broken in bearing, not totaly the same though. once you lube it with the thin lube break it in, and that should take less then 2 hours of play to get it back to unresponsive.

It depends how thick the lube is inside. For the lube to break down is not going to take 2 hours. It may take up to 2 weeks. I’ve known people to take as much as 3 weeks before it fully breaks in. You will be able to hear the difference in sound from silent to noisy. When it gets loud, its broken in. Or just clean the bearing.

Everyone ^^ is correct. But one tip, I think doing Gyro Flops would make the breaking in much faster. I broke in my correctly lubed bearing in 5 Gyro Flops. I broke in my “whole drop” lubed within 1-3 days of Gyro Flopping.

With Gyro Flops, I don’t think it’ll take longer than a week.

it depends, I don’t have much experiance with the new breed, but one of my yoyo’s took over a week to break in before it was unresponsive

Hmmm, mine was fairly unresponsive out of the box. But it’s almost 2 years old.