BobParty’s Player Profiles: Doc Pop

Up next we have Blaise Becker! Hope you enjoy!!

What got you into throwing, how long have you been in the hobby?

I’ve been throwing for approximately 12 years now! When I was in third grade, I won a Duncan Butterfly for my good deeds in class. I got involved in club at tiki tiki board games, and never looked back.

What trick are you working on currently and what is your all time favorite trick?

I’m currently working on tricks that score higher, but are unique to my style. I would say pop and fresh is probably my favorite! It was one of those tricks that I was like “wow, I can’t believe I was able to do that.” Hahaha. That sentimental value on that one is big so, yeah.

What’s your favorite yo-yo of all time ?

Favorite yoyo of all time…oh man. I have to say the adrenaline since it’s everything I want in a yoyo, in play and aesthetically. Before my signature however, the cognition still holds a special place in my heart.

What kind of things are you into outside of yo-yos?

Hmmm a lot of things! I would say video games, anime, cars, hiking, sports, fitness, psychology, and fashion are my main interest-nerdy things pretty much hahaha.

Favorite foods?

Man I absolutely love to just… eat honestly hahaha. But the first things that come to mind are ramen, sushi, and arroz con pollo.

Favorite movie?

Ghost in the Shell or Blade Runner are my two favorites.

What does yo-yo mean for you. Expression, technical, art, sports

Good question. I honestly think my answer varies depending on where I’m at in yoyo. One thing that does not vary is my belief that it’s a creative outlet. It can very well be an expression of who you are through the infinite amount of transitions and executions you can create. However, (especially after worlds) my belief is that yoyo can very well be considered a sport. The experience of immense pressure, stress, focus, and other emotions in order to achieve one’s dream or goal can qualify to be what someone experiences from a sport. So yeah, I think that kinda sums up what yoyo is to me!

Best yoyo memory?

Oh man, I really think the moment where I made finals at worlds this year was the most surreal moment I’ve ever experienced. The physical presence of everyone around me, the chants, the cheering… I’m forever thankful for everyone who participated in that.

If you couldn’t yo-yo what would you be doing?

If I couldn’t yoyo, I’d most likely still be trying to play a sport, either Lacrosse or Football. I’m very grateful to be yoyoing, but if I didn’t have the talent for it, I can imagine myself playing one of the two still, yeah.

Advice/ words of wisdom to new players

STAY PATIENT- most likely, it’s going to take time to learn tricks, but stay persistent and stay set on what your goal is! Get involved in your local scene, and learn, learn, learn. And make sure it stays fun! If you’re getting frustrated even with help from peers and videos, skip it for now and eventually it’ll click down the road. Plastic whip was one of those tricks for me.

What do you want to tell the world?

I love you all, and I’m honored that you’ve made it this far into the interview. Thanks for reading!!!

31 Likes