BobParty’s Player Profiles: Doc Pop

Also, like Jeffrey- the only yoyo in my collection that has a string on it, is the one I’m currently throwing

2 Likes

I also will only throw a yo-yo that has a string on it. :rofl:

3 Likes

@GTDropKnot

I’ve been yoyoing to Kill Dem all the time the last few months!

2 Likes

Happy Monday everyone!

Today I’m glad to present @NavarrYo with GWAY throws. Nathan has some of the coolest elements in his trick sets, and is one of the nicest people I have had the pleasure of talking with. Hope you enjoy today’s player profile!

What got you into throwing, how long have you been in the hobby?

I remember some demonstrators coming to my elementary school and showing us tricks, that was my first time seeing yo-yoing.

I don’t remember who they were or what tricks they did haha just that they were there. so if you demo’d in Washington in the late 90’s lemme know ha ha

I started learning my basics in middle school, stuff like Double or nothings, kwijibo, and maybe a hook. along with real basic 4A and 5A stuff. anything from those small CD’s that came with old Duncan hardcore series yo-yos I tried to learn. That was like 2005 or 06. then I just stopped yo-yoing when I started skateboarding a lot. I picked it back up 3 years ago and had to relearned my basics haha so I’m not sure if I should say 3 years or 19 years?

What trick are you working on currently and what is your all time favorite trick?

I usually have multiple combos in the works at the same time. I start trying to learn someone’s trick and I get stuck doing one element and I’m like “I can add that to this other element” and I fall down the rabbit hole of making multiple combos with one themed element placed somewhere in there. Its infuriating at times because I never end up learning the initial trick I wanted to learn haha

Back in the day I learned “Mexican Duck Pond” and I thought it was the raddest trick ever. was stoked on that one for a while but, now I would have to say its Junyi Lin’s “Double or nothing” Combo. I’ve torn that trick apart and put it in so many other combos haha

What’s your favorite yo-yo of all time ?

All time is hard. I’ve seen and interacted with so few yoyos haha I missed the whole yoyojam era. those ones looked so rad. Duncan and now Gway have taken up the majority of the yoyos that have been in my hand ha ha

Favorite presently would between the REFRACTORY and this GWAY Proto ive been throwing around lately.

Back in the day it was the “FreeHand 2” and the “Throw Monkey” I had so many in different colors!

I have to give an honorable mention to the Duncan “WindRunner” Its the yo-yo that sparked it all back up when my old roommate just randomly had it and let me have get it off of em since I help build his computer.

What’s kind of things are you into outside of yo-yos?

So many things! I have my hands in so many hobbies haha I love skateboarding. going to shows. Doing art both physical and digital now. I really dig filming and editing. Been making a skate edit from clips I’ve gathered over the last 10 years so I’ll leave a link to that if anyone wants to check it out! learning animation, I would love to try my hand at some kind of comedy, pc gaming. I dig FPS games, I’m always stoked on one thing or another.

Favorite foods?

Pizza! I have very simple taste and you can find pizza everywhere haha

Favorite movie?

oh man that’s tough. I’ve been watching too many movies the last few years it’s hard to remember them all, plus the list is always changing
“Where Evil Lurks” was a rad Argentinian horror!
“Pulse” 2001 Japanese version felt very Silent Hill-ish to me and I loved it, I really enjoyed “THE HOLDOVERS”

My good homie Cody Lightning made a film called “Hey, Viktor!” about being the child star in “Smoke Signals” it looks fun as hell and i really wanna see it. Please go check it out!

But it all depends on my mood. that being said “Inglorious bastards” and “SLC PUNK” can always get a play hands down.

What’s a song that you feel perfectly encapsulates your personality?

That’s so hard to narrow down. Haha
A Playlist would be needed I’m sure in a lot of people’s cases.

My lady had gotten me into “Destroy Boys” pretty gnarly.

One song I keep going back too is “Shadow”
I come from a pretty rough home life and area so I had to build defenses. Having a face that looks less then approuchable along with not ever showing that you are sad or bothered by stuff going on around you was the norm. But I was really just the biggest cry baby and full emotion on the inside.

I love how the song is heavy and hard on the outside but emotion filled and vulnerable the more you listen. But you could say that with so many of their songs. So good. Check em out. “DESTROY BOYS”

What does yo-yo mean for you?

Yo-yo means a sense of community for me. being able to give and take with others and get a glimpse of your own interest from another perspective is so beneficial towards the end of my Competitive skate “Career” I ended up breaking my left leg and then severely rolling my ankle on my right leg.
I ended up falling into a really gnarly depression. I felt really isolated. In my own head I had lost my sense of community because I wasn’t comfortable relearning and skating in front of my friends. At this time I was living in Seattle and If you’re familiar with Northwest skateboarding then you’ll know that there are a lot of heavy hitting transition skaters, my friends included. I was just too insecure and intimated so I widthdrew. pretty much stopped skating cold turkey. I spent so much time alone, bummed out and not talking to people. yo-yoing sparked that motivation to try and relearn my basics which lead to looking more tricks up online, seeing the community, making an Instagram to post my progress and interacting with people who also liked yo-yo. That does wonders for your mental. it felt like a community again. and that felt like skateboarding again. yo-yoing helped pull me out of a hole i dug for myself. I read Steve Brown’s interview (and I was and still am a huge fan. seeing this punk rock yo-yoer throwing down really peaked my interest as a young Hispanic punk kid) and he said “Let it be as much or as little as you need, and don’t be afraid to let it wax and wane in your life.” and that’s what I was able to do with it. I was at a point of my life where I wasn’t skating and I had to work hard to not just find a job but keep a job. so I fit yo-yoing into any free time i had. I was excited to come home to a hobby again. to learn something new everyday, and everything was new to me so i had a lot to look through. Yo-yoing gave me ambition again and ambition is a powerful motivator.

Best yoyo memory?

I don’t have many memories with yo-yoing yet haha been making them lately! When I was young I taught my friends how to catch an off string yoyo and we would just launch them at each other from across the school fields

I remember looking yo-yo stuff up when I picked it back up and seeing all this things I missed over the last like 10+ years and I was blown away, all the yo-yos and so many companies! Duncan and Yomega were all I knew. I was familiar with friction stickers not silicone pads. I was so over stimulated with excitement. I got obsessed right away. The memory of seeing how much there was to take in just gave me so much joy.

I remember when I was first posting stuff on Instagram I made friends with my buddy John
or “bindtime”. he was my first “yo-yo friend” he asked me to help him with a trick and I had to film a pov to get my point across but I had no GoPro at the time so my GF, being the most supportive person ever agrees to get on a milkcrate and hold my phone in front of my face from behind and aim it at my hands so i can film a tip video for my buddy haha I don’t remember how long it took but I wasn’t as nearly as consistent as i am now haha.
He doesn’t throw much anymore but he pops up from time to time and it always make me smile. and it was early on in my gf and ours’s relationship and it showed me how sweet and supportive she is. its a rad memory.

Getting asked to join GWAY is a new rad memory! Much love to E-man, Sean and Ume for having my back! All my Teammates are rad!

If you couldn’t yo-yo what would you be doing?

I feel like I would have focused my attention to one of my many other hobbies (maybe my art) but I don’t think I would feel as satisfied. Idk. yo-yoing hits all right buttons for me. each aspect of yoyoing does something different for me.
I would probably stream again. I liked making gaming content before I found yo-yoing.

Advice/ words of wisdom to new players?

Well as I’m finishing this up we ended up having to say goodbye to our cat “Rini” which is taking a toll on us emotionally. but we have each other thru it. So I would like to tell anyone who is going through any rough part in life that its not permanent. you will grow bigger and stronger in time. the yoyo community has rad people
who are willing to lend an ear (myself included) you are not alone. and i wish you all happiness.

rini

What you want to tell the world?

I want to say thanks to my YouTube community! as I’m writing this I just Passed 600 subs which is wild to me! we just did a giveaway for my 500 and I was able to give away a Gway Refractory so it was super fun! Check out my Channel or Insta for tricks and tutorials both at Nathan Navarro (@navarryo) • Instagram photos and videos.
And my art page at Nathan Navarro (@cheerupnate) • Instagram photos and videos

I got more community based stuff I wanna incorporate in the future.
I wanna say thanks for all the support!

29 Likes

This interview reflects one of the most impressive qualities I have noticed in so many in this community… the willingness to honestly open up your inner person and let people know who you really are. And the willingness of the rest of us to recognize one another… to honestly accept one another as we are without snide and cutting remarks toward what “they” say is or isn’t whatever. I can say I’ve always had deep emotions, but one of the things that has changed of late is I can’t hold them back. The stupidest stuff will bring out the tears. Now that’s some frustrating stuff right there. :rofl::rofl:
Keep these coming @Bobparty and thanks for sharing @NavarrYo

12 Likes

Yoooo! This is awesome! @NavarrYo is one my favorite players! He’s got skill and flow for days!

5 Likes

I love these. I’m happy your doing this @Bobparty

10 Likes

I’m happy you’re happy @Captrogers !!

6 Likes

Proud today to present Hunter Feuerstein!! Love that many people have the same meaningful yo-yo stories!!!

What got you into throwing, and how did you find the hobby?

I started yoyoing in the summer of 2013. My mom wanted to get me out of the house, so she signed me up for a yoyo class at our local library, which was taught by national and world champions. At first, I didn’t want to go and was pretty reluctant about it, but my mom “forced” me into it, hahaha. But from the moment I started, I was hooked. The experience of learning from such talented players made me realize how much depth and creativity there was in yoyoing, and I’ve been passionate about it ever since.

If you could only have one yo-yo for the rest of your life, what would it be?

I might be a bit biased here, but I’d choose any of the yoyos I’ve had a hand in designing to perfectly suit my style—Spotlight, Spotlight Ultra, Moonlight, or the new Starlight. Each of these has been fine-tuned to match the evolution of my play, so I feel a connection with all of them.

What trick are you currently working on, and what is your all-time favorite trick?

I’m not focusing on any specific tricks right now, but I’ve been experimenting with incorporating my neck into already challenging whip elements. It’s a way to push the boundaries of what’s possible and add a new layer of complexity to my routines. As for my all-time favorite trick, that’s tough—I love anything that’s visually striking and dynamic, especially those that have taken a lot of effort to master.

What’s the most meaningful yoyo you have?

The most meaningful yoyo in my collection has to be the 888 I won just a month into yoyoing, when I was only 8 years old. I competed in a small local trick ladder contest at the library and ended up winning. That 888 was worth $130 at the time, and winning it sparked an even greater motivation in me to keep improving. Every time I see that yoyo, it brings back memories of those early days and reminds me why I love yoyoing so much.

What kind of things are you into outside of yo-yos?

To be honest, my life pretty much revolves around yoyoing, haha—it’s probably not the healthiest balance! But outside of yoyoing, I really enjoy learning new things, hiking, and traveling.

Favorite restaurants and order?

I’d say Popeyes. My go-to order is a chicken sandwich with no pickles, a side of fries, and Mardi Gras mustard.

Favorite movie?

Has to be Elf. It’s packed with too many memorable quotes to NOT be at the top of my list.

Best yoyo memory?

One of my best yoyo memories has to be from the 2019 World Yoyo Contest. I had practiced more than ever leading up to it, hoping to secure a spot in the finals for the first time. During the semifinals, I had a switch out, and when I got off stage, I was convinced that would prevent me from advancing. But when they announced that I had made it to the finals—with a switch!—my friends surrounded me, picked me up, and started chanting my name. It was an incredible moment that showed how supportive the yoyo community really is.

What’s your yoyo bad habit?

I have to admit, I’m super lazy when it comes to changing pads and cleaning bearings. I tend to put it off way longer than I should!

If you couldn’t yo-yo, what would you be doing?

I’d probably still be involved in content creation, but with a focus on traveling the world. Exploring new places and cultures is something that really interests me.

Advice/words of wisdom to new players?

Learn everything you possibly can, even the tricks that don’t initially interest you. Attend yoyo clubs and contests as often as possible, and soak up as much knowledge as you can from those around you. Most importantly, make sure you’re having fun! The joy you get from yoyoing is what will keep you going in the long run.

What do you want to tell the world?

Prototypes of my signature yoyo for 2025, the Starlight, available now on hunteryoyos.com! Be sure to check them out and support me on this exciting journey.

Thanks again Hunter!!!

24 Likes

dude i hate watching heartwarming movies with my daughter. as I’ve gotten older it barely takes more than ppl hugging after a fight to turn me into a gushing sentimental mess lol that scene in Cool Runnings where they pick up and carry the bobsled kills me every single time :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah. That scene you’re talking about would certainly do it for me. I just sat and watched Never Been Kissed and it really got me just how mean people are to one another. The mean people think it’s funny but it can be truly heartbreaking to the person on the receiving end. Now see what that does for ya… :rofl::rofl::sob::sob:

1 Like

oh yes. and it seems like every kids movie has that kid/group of kids that are complete bullies and it makes me think about how much that happens all the time with ppl of all ages and it destroys me. ppls cruelty and ambivolence will never cease to shock and baffle me. I’ve always been a large intimidating looking person which saved me some grief but heck growing up i was in fights all the time but it was always in defense of someone else, esp my younger brother. how ppl treat each other has never sat well with me

2 Likes

Small people are those who feel the need bring others down. And the world seems to be getting filled with more and more small people. I think that’s what gets me so much when scenes like that play out, because it’s reality for so many people these days.

2 Likes

I cry every single time I watch Coco with my daughters. Just straight up bawl

3 Likes

Yes!!

YES!!

YEAHSSSS!!!
:joy::joy::joy:

5 Likes

Have a great profile for everyone today from our own Robin Strickin @nightshadow with Sengoku and Stricklin Strings!!!

Absolute insanely talented and interesting individual. Hope you enjoy!!

What got you into throwing, how did you find the hobby?

The NED yoyo guys! They came to my school and left their mark by selling $10 yoyos to over half the kids. Soon everyone on the playground was learning the forward throw. The kids who could do the best tricks were like royalty. Young me decided I wanted to be the best yoyoer on the elementary school playground, and got to work!

What is your goal in the next year for yourself, personal or professional?

I have a few, but some big ones are

1.) I would like to do well in my upper division physics course load this year, as I’ll be jumping into some of the “big boy” stuff. I’m a little terrified!

2.) My shot to have my name on a medical research paper is also going to come up this year, which has been a goal of mine for 2 years. A paper I’m on is being submitted for peer review this summer. Fingers crossed!

How did you come about with the idea for Stricklin strings?

A quote from the great car maker Horacio Pagani! (“If you cannot buy it, build it”). If you’d like to hear me yap about the strings more more, you can check out my thread on them, but in short, I found myself always wanting strings that were

1. Softer
  2. THICKER
  3. Higher coil count per inch

I realized I really couldn’t get what I had in mind unless I made it myself!

If you could only have one yo-yo for the rest of your life what would it be?

Something titanium! Just for the durability of the bearing seat. After all, this thing is going to have to last me for the rest of my life!

I would probably go for something like the Sengoku Ieyasu, or Oxygen Hyperion. Both performance beasts.

If it is going to be the only yoyo I ever use, it had better be able to handle a lot, because I know I’m going to keep trying to get better.

What’s your favorite trick?

Not really a trick, but more of an element. I have always been drawn to that thing where you spin a string around, and it untwists really fast on its own. When I was little, it was a huge mystery to me how they were done, and I knew that if I could just figure one trick with a spinny string out, I would do it all the time.

Now, I stick them in my tricks constantly!

Here is a compilation: (in chronological order, so the general trend is they get harder as you watch)

String spinning thing

What’s the trick that gives you the hardest time?

Tech stuff. I never liked the way it looked, and the effort to payoff ratio of working for weeks to get one part of the spiderweb to cross behind the other just isn’t there for me.

I suppose the reason that I never really did tech well was that my heart wasn’t in it.

What’s your favorite yo-yo of all time?

Not sure, definitely something undercut. Haven’t tried the new Sengoku Bishamonten, but from what I know, it will probably be that!

What’s the most meaningful throw you have?

My Yoyofactory Shutter. It is the yoyo I used to gain most of the skill I have today. Young me worked towards my goals of mastery for many hundreds of hours on it. It was the first tool I used in a really disciplined way.

What’s your worst habit with yo-yos?

Focusing too much on perfecting one trick for weeks, rather than moving on to a new one

What kind of things are you into outside of yo-yos?

I’m an undergraduate student, so over half my time is devoted to academics, but when I’m not in class or studying:

I have been grabbed by aviation, I’m working towards my pilot’s license. I fly 2-3 times a week. My landings are getting smoother!

(I’d like to include a quick side note on the subject of aviation, because I don’t like the idea of coming off as an entitled kid who has tens of thousands of dollars to throw at waltzing into airplanes.

The only reason that I’m able to fly is because UC Davis has a tiny airport on their land, and has been running a micro flight school since the 40s. When I finished my pre-med studies at UC Berkeley, I submitted an application to UC Davis as an applied physics major.

As part of their acceptance, they agreed to let me skip the 2 year waitlist for flight school, and to fund ~100 hours flight hours.

So in short, I got exceptionally lucky. I will always be grateful to the universities of California for the opportunities they have given me.)

Anyway, continuing to answer the question:

Another interest of mine is the medical research I was lucky enough to be selected to assist with at Dr. Paul Sieving’s lab in UC Davis medical school. He has a fascinating background, and it has been an incredible job over the last year, a real window into how research on that level is conducted.

I am especially interested in Aerospace/aviation medicine, and look forward to attending the annual conference this May.

I play the violin (and spent most of my late preteens through high school wanting to do it as a career!)

I also try and keep up with a few topics in anthropology, especially those related to egyptology. During my time as a premed student, my medicine related major was biological anthropology. A bi-product was a solid liberal arts foundation, and exposure to the field of anthropology for a few years. I try to carry these historical interests/perspectives with me today, even when surrounded by physics and engineering material.

I am also a part time firefighter, on shift 72 hours a month.

What fictional character best fits who you are?

Gimli the dwarf (see my favorite books/movies).

Staunchly loyal, and usually approaches problems head on by bashing on them until they (hopefully) yield.

Favorite restaurant and order?

La Bonne Bouche in St. Louis. Honestly, their croissants are incredible.

Favorite movie and or book?

Movies: A Philadelphia story, The Sting, The Iron Giant, Lord of the Rings trilogy

Book: Lord of the Rings trilogy

If you could wake up tomorrow and magically have the skills from one player who and what would it be?

Honest answer: there is a player I met on the forums who is now a friend of mine who was an airforce pilot. I’d like to have his skills behind the yoke.

What’s your favorite memory from your time in the hobby ?

I have a few:

Finally mastering boingy-boing

My first yoyo competition

Getting sponsored. The culmination of many hours of planning and practicing.

When Julio finally caved and gave the green light to an undercut Sengoku model

How has the community changed since you started? Where do you want it to go?

I’ve seen the community change a lot since I started. It’s grown in a lot of ways, but shrunk in the areas I used to think of as Meccas. Like Chico.

Of course, the skill level at contests in getting off the charts. This is cool to see! Sometimes I miss the days of 2013 or so when things were a little less competitive, and folks could still win with funky/cool ideas and routines that were less dialed in. But many players today are also such a joy to watch.

I have also watched the world at large get more divided in recent years, and some of this has appeared to seep into even the yoyo scene occasionally.

Where I’d want the community to go is in more of a direction of focusing on what matters, the fact that we all like to yoyo together, and less on the divisive/darker issues of today. The world outside may be in turmoil, but this community can still get together and discuss rim weight, response pads, and how the heck Mir Kim hit that horizontal 5.0 hook.

If you never picked up a yo-yo - what would life look like now?

That’s hard to say. Yoyo was my first exposure to profound motivation, and working towards goals in a disciplined way. It was great for me because it initially presented as a fun hobby for a young child (wanting to do cool tricks on the playground), but had enough depth for me to learn how to work hard, and what it felt like to want to be great at something very badly. I owe the mentality I started developing with yoyo for most of the success I’ve had thus far.

Learn to practice well! Figure out a specific element that is troubling you, and isolate it. Do it repeatedly over the course of days and weeks, and it WILL yield. Better practice leads to faster progress, and less frustration.

It is easy to plateau for years at a time (I see many folks that still have newbie looking breakaways after 5+ years of throwing), but if you are consistent (and focused!) in your practice, you will progress more than you might think, even on as little as 30 minutes a day.

Whats you want to tell the world?

I think its important not to live passively. I am well aware of how naive I am at this point, but there have been some pieces of advice I’ve gotten from folks farther along in life that really made sense to me.

When I was in fifth grade, I won an essay contest and got to speak to an astronaut. One of the things he said to me was: “Find things you love doing, and are useful to the world. And then get really good at them.”

21 Likes

I’m a little biased as I’m a big Jake Bullock fan, however this is a great profile and I’m really excited to share it with you all - hope you enjoy!!

I yoyoed during the late 90s boom like every other kid at the time, with a Duncan Butterfly and Yomega Fireball, but it didn’t stick. In 2003 my friend Randy Shreeves introduced me to a toy called Astrojax which we both got really into. Astrojax had a messageboard on their website which allowed users to upload photos of themselves playing with Astrojax. I found a user named DJReaxion (Brian Cosky) who had a bunch of photos of himself yoyoing on his profile. He was using YoYoJam yoyos with metal rims and they looked so cool to me, so I messaged him and he pointed me to Dave’s Skilltoys. I got myself my first ball bearing yoyo, a Duncan Throwmonkey. The first thing I remember doing is throwing the yoyo down and walking into the bathroom to pee. The yoyo kept sleeping the entire duration of my urination, and I was so stoked on that. :joy: Brian Cosky and I ended up being on Team Anti-Yo together a couple years later, and he remains a great friend to this day. I owe him a lot.

How did you come about creating your own yo-yo company?

I was sponsored by Anti-Yo during my “prime”, and after placing 2nd at Worlds and winning a few smaller contests, we began to discuss a signature yoyo. I wanted a delrin version of the Bapezilla, and I wanted to call it the Jakezilla. Long story short, I was young and impatient, ended up leaving Anti-Yo, and the Jakezilla never happened. Pretty soon after I started dealing with a serious opiate addiction and yoyoing took a backseat to everything else going on in my life. I never stopped yoyoing everyday, but I stopped competing and interacting with the community. That lasted basically 2010-2016. When Worlds came around to Cleveland in 2016 I decided to drive out and catch up with everyone. It reignited my passion for the yoyo community, and I started talking to old yoyo friends more regularly. By 2019 Worlds I was fully back in, and after that contest I decided to start a yoyo instagram (@jakebullockyoyo) to share my old and new tricks with a new generation of yoyoers who weren’t necessarily familiar with me. The reaction blew me away, and one day I texted Tyler Severance and asked if he could help me finally make myself a signature yoyo. He hooked me up with CJ and a factory and the rest is history. Basically, it was a dream of mine from the time I started yoyoing, it just took 16 years for it to finally happen.

Very difficult question. Probably the Slappa/SlappaSS. It’s very comfortable for me to use, and very capable for both 1A and 5A.

What trick are you working on currently and what is your all time favorite trick?

My favorite trick is double or nothing. I guess nowadays that is just a mount and not a trick. I think there are endless possibilities for amazing tricks from double or nothing and I never get bored of finding new things to do from it.

As far as real tricks, I appreciate all of the classics that Spencer Berry and Paul Escolar created. I could never pick a favorite. I like “old school” yoyo tricks that have a clear beginning, middle, and end. They feel most pure and interesting to me.

Currently I’m working on 1A slacks that wrapped around different fingers multiple times, so that you can unwrap them in different ways. It’s visually appealing and fun to do. Andrew Bergen told me “yoyoers love when it happens twice”. So if I can make a slack wrap or spin around an extra time, it always makes the trick cooler to watch.

What’s the most meaningful yoyo you have?

Probably the YoYoJam Master Hot Stamper gifted to me by Tyler Severance. It belonged to his brother Danny who was a good friend who is no longer with us. It’s a very rare yoyo with an interesting backstory, and the fact that it was Danny’s makes it even more special.

My friend and old Anti-Yo teammate Kevin (Field Medic on Spotify, check out his music) also gifted me his Hspin Good & Evil which really meant a lot to me. It was my first aluminum yoyo back in 2004, I lost or sold it somewhere over the years, so Kevin gave me his.

I’m a chronic hobbyist and at any given time I am obsessed with something new. Sometimes the hobby comes and goes, other times it sticks around forever (like yoyoing).

Some that have stuck over the years: fly fishing, disc golf, playing guitar, aquarium keeping, cooking/baking, drawing and painting.

What’s your favorite restaurants and order?

I used to be a super foodie guy and spent a lot of time and money eating at nice restaurants but the past few years I’ve sorta grown out of that. I like crab rangoons, burgers, Indian food, and I believe the cheesesteaks I make at home are on par or better than any cheesesteak you can buy in the world. If I had to pick a favorite place to eat right now I’d probably say La Placita Mexico in Allentown, PA.

Favorite movie or band?

My go to answer for favorite movie is Freddy Got Fingered. But in reality it changes all the time. I really enjoy all of Paul Thomas Anderson’s movies, and I’m not sure I could pick just one. My favorite film in recent memory is Banshees of Inisherin.

My go to answer for band is the Melvins. I have a weird relationship with music, for me to really appreciate listening to an artist I need to learn as much as I can about them as people. It makes it harder for me to consume new music because I have to put in the time to learn about the artist before really digging in. But I truly like all kinds of music. Lately i’ve been listening to country from the 50s/60s, Jay Reatard, and pop punk from the early 2000s. I also have an obsession with the band Nirvana that goes back to childhood, i have read dozens of books about them and consumed basically all the content I could find surrounding the band.

What’s your best yo-yo memory?

There are so many and I have a bad memory. One that sticks out is eating Taco Bell with Jonrob at Nationals 2007, then walking back to the venue right as we were announced Trick Innovators of the Year. It was a prestigious award back then, it was a surprise, and we almost missed it because we were discussing how much we miss the green onions on the Nachos Bell Grande.

I have no go-to string length and I never have. It’s a crap shoot based on my mood every time I cut a new string to length. I have attempted to figure out lengths in the past but I’ve never been able to stick to anything. It really annoys me and I hate changing string. I also don’t mess with pads or bearings ever. I use whatever bearing until it breaks and then replace it with konkave bearings i buy in bulk from China, and i have never changed pads (unless they tear or out something crazy).

How do you feel throwing allows expression?

Just go back and watch early Spindox/Sector Y clip videos. Every player back then had a completely unique style. There used to be regional styles too. Brazilians, Russians, Poles, Japanese, Americans all yoyoed with completely different styles. Everything has become a lot more homogenized with social media and modern competition, for better or worse. But you can still find players with completely unique styles. That’s my favorite part about yoyoing. Everyone can do Rancid Milk but not a single person on the planet can do it like Spencer, except for Spencer. No one can yoyo like Yuuki Spencer or Jesse Garcia. People have gotten close, but their styles are still wholly unique and personal to them. It’s so interesting to me how you can take the most basic trick or mount, and have 10 people do it, and they each do it a little differently. It’s endlessly fascinating and beautiful to me.

If you couldn’t yo-yo what would you be doing?

I really have no idea. It sounds silly but I don’t think there’s a world where I don’t find yoyoing and become obsessed with it. It is the perfect hobby for me, I cannot imagine anything better, and it checks every box of what I look for in something to stimulate my brain and have fun with.

Being a part of the yoyo community has benefitted my life in every way possible, mentally, socially, financially. It allowed me to travel out of my small town at a young age and meet people I would have never had the chance to interact with. It’s provided the majority of my oldest friends. The Dunk project helped me get a place to live. And even if none of that existed, the personal satisfaction and joy yoyoing has brought me and continues to provide would be more than enough.

Watch some old yoyo videos, like 2000-2009 era. I know the video quality is trash but there are lots of amazing forgotten tricks to be learned. I’m a firm believer that researching the history and background of any hobby will help you appreciate it more.

The world needs to be nicer to each other but that will never happen. As far as the yoyo world, try to remember that it’s not all about clicks. You can get immense personal satisfaction, and even the respect of the community, without ever competing in a yoyo contest. I’m not knocking competition, but there is so much more to yoyoing. For me, competition has always just been the excuse for all of us to get together and share tricks and hang out. It’s fun to watch and exciting, but it’s not really pushing creativity very much anymore. The best stuff is happening off stage .

30 Likes

Today we have up Katie Thompson!

Katie has some of the coolest videos on Instagram which I’m probably responsible for like half the views haha!

Hope you enjoy!!

What got you into throwing? How did you find the hobby?

I first saw yoyo tricks in 2013! I was in 8th grade and 14 years old! I was a very shy and introverted kid, and was in desperate need of something to grow my confidence. A group of yoyoers called The N.E.D. Show, came to my middle school to put on a show for us! NED stood for Never give up, Encourage others, and Do your best! A slogan I live by! They performed tricks like, Rock and baby, Eiffel Tower, Walk the Dog and Shoot the Moon, while also explaining the importance of hard work through yoyo! They also sold yoyos to the students afterwards, which I purchased immediately! I remember being really fascinated by the tricks I saw! It made me want to learn more about it. So I purchased an instructional trick DVD from them as well, and the rest is history!

Yoyo Goals for 2025?

I would like to work on consistency when I make freestyles! Limiting mistakes on stage!

I also want to continue to participate in online contests. As it helps me display freestyles I’ve been working hard on!

I would also like to continue to develop my trick set and make combos people like!

I also aim to make the podium in the Women’s division at Worlds!

If you only had one yoyo to use for the rest of your life, what would it be?

The yoyo I use most often is the YYF Mega Monster! My current competition yoyo!

What trick are you currently working on?

I wouldn’t say a particular trick, but I will often look at a player’s freestyle and pinpoint certain elements I want to learn. I’ll try them and it usually leads to inspiration for new tricks. This is my process for creating new combos.

What trick gave you the hardest time to learn?

Back in 2013 I remember that it took me 10 days to learn the trick “Spirit Bomb.” Ten days meaning, “that was the only trick I did over the course of ten days…… Nothing else!” Haha! Never had that experience with any other trick! It was so hard at the time!

Favorite Yoyo?

As mentioned above, My current competition yoyo is the Mega monster, however, I did grow up loving the Shutter line. So those yoyos definitely give me nostalgia!

What is the most meaningful yoyo you have?

Probably my first ever metal/unresponsive yoyo: The Yomega Maverick! I think of this yoyo as “the one that started it all.”

What is your worst habit with yoyo?

People have told me that I go through strings too quickly. I get strings by packs of 100 and I go through them in about 2 months! I will also change my string after about 2 hours of play! I’ve heard that players will go longer on the same string but I personally like the feeling of a new string too much to continue on the same string for multiple hours.

What are you into besides yoyo?

Does teaching count?? I love teaching the next generation how to yoyo and seeing growth in the players I teach! It’s important to encourage kids and tell them they can achieve things if they practice! I love working with kids in general really!

If you could be described as a fictional character, who would it be?

Maybe Sonic the Hedgehog! I am always on the go! I love keeping myself busy and productive! I like to fidget and do things with my hands! I also love to yoyo fast and practice for long periods of time! And when I’m not yoyoing, my mind is always racing, just like Sonic!

Favorite food place and menu item?

Chipotle- Steak burrito

Favorite movie?

The Harry Potter Franchise

What does yoyoing mean to you?

Yoyo has also been a great stress reliever for me. If I have a bad day, I can always look forward to enjoying some yoyo practice.

Yoyo is also a great creative outlet. I love coming up with new things and making myself stand out as a player.

I also love choreography and the freestyle making process. It allows me to express myself and convey emotions to an audience! Being able to hit music cues and make something I’m proud of is very meaningful to me.

I love seeing myself grow in skill! Every time I learn a hard trick, I was able to push through failure. I love tracking my progress and knowing I’m getting better!

Favorite memory from yoyo?

Probably winning Women’s nationals 2023! It was my first contest ever! I met so many people I always dreamt of meeting! Very emotional time for me!

How has the yoyo community changed since you started? Where do you want it to go?

I feel like I can’t answer the first question. I literally just started competing last summer. But it would be cool if the community can grow! Yoyo is a unique hobby so there are not many yoyoers in the world. I want everyone to know what yoyoing is! It’s not a child’s toy anymore. LOL!

If you never picked up a yoyo, how would your life be different?

Dang, I don’t even want to think about it! Haha! It’s been a part of my life for so long! Its hard to even try to fathom it, but i’ll force myself to try!

I would probably be doing something with sports. I played softball all throughout highschool and college so I love being active! I might have ended up being a softball coach or something. Either that or became a fitness nut because I love to work out and be healthy.

Words of wisdom for new players?

Enjoy the journey: It takes a long time to climb the ranks of yoyo. While you are learning it’s important to have fun and not stress too much about how quickly you get better, or how hard your tricks are. If you enjoy the sport, the rest will take care of itself!

Don’t take it too seriously: Yes, it’s important to do your best and work hard for goals, but don’t let it be the most important thing. You have to enjoy life too! Take yoyo and make it a part of who you are, but don’t let it become ALL of who you are. Spend time with family and friends because relationships and memories last forever!

What do you want to tell the world?

Yoyoing has been quite the journey! It has given me confidence when I had very little of it as a little kid. It has given me great friendships and it’s taking me to places I never thought I would go. Seeing myself grow in yoyo has taught me that you can do anything if you want it badly enough. As the 2024 yoyo season is closing, I plan to put my best foot forward to what’s to come! I will begin 2025 with more determination than ever! I plan to continue to grow and show the world how cool yoyoing is!

Thank you so much for reading this far! I appreciate you! Now go throw!:slight_smile:

25 Likes

Excited today for Michelle Dauer also known as “Yo-yo Mom”!! Michelle’s Instagram an amazingly talented individual, and a true inspiration in the hobby with some great stories here! Hope you enjoy!!

So, my son Justin started yoyo’ing about ten years ago. In the beginning, we spent almost all of our time watching contest vids and talking about yoyos and yoyo players. A few years into it he started competing and we spent entire weekends at contests. One day I got tired of sitting around watching all these cool tricks and decided to challenge myself…Could I do this? Why not? I had done so much in my life already and knew I wanted to add a new, fun hobby into my life…So instead of knitting or painting, like most middle aged ladies, I decided to start yoyo’ing! It has been a slow, but fun process learning! I’m proud of myself for working to get where I am.

Hmmmm…I wonder….haha! No, honestly, I have been wanting to yoyo so much more with Justin’s new signature, the Duncan EVOLVE. There’s something different about it that just makes me yoyo better…It has a wide gap and feels floatier than any other yoyo I’ve used. It honestly is making me want to yoyo more cause I love the way it feels. He did a great job on the design according to lots of people who got it at Worlds!

Not working on anything in particular but when I’m in the mood I go to Rewind tutorials cause I can always find something that looks super cool and is fairly easy. It’s super hard to find just the right tutorial… I get stuck so much! I’m thinking about continuing the Skill Addicts causeI’ve heard it covers a lot of the basics I skipped right over wanting to do just cool looking stuff. Haha! Favorite trick is Eli Hops cause it looks flashy to non yoyo’ers and I can do it anytime, anywhere!

What’s the most meaningful yoyo you have in your collection?
I would have to say my Andrei Conag YoyoFactory Hyperrr Edge. In 2018 there was a player named Andrei Conag who was a great player who had a bright future in yoyo. Unfortunately, he was diagnosed with Leukemia and passed away in 2018. Justin and I attended Andrei’s funeral, representing the yoyo community, and became friends with his parents. His mom, Jessica, takes pictures with the Hyperr Edge yoyo on all her trips still keeps up with and supports the yoyo community even thought her beloved son isn’t with us. To keep the memory of Andrei alive you can find a few videos on YouTube that will make you smile. If You could drop a comment for his mom, I’m sure she would really appreciate it.

I’ve been riding dirtbikes in the California desert with Justin and my hubby for over 15 years now! I absolutely love the freedom of being out in the open desert enjoying trails and using the skills I’ve learned. There have been many times where we were in the middle of nowhere, or on super sketchy mountain trails with a sheer cliff on one side…It has definitely strengthened me mentally as well as my riding skills, having no choice but to get out of these situations! I also LOVE to vacuum and buy shoes :blush:

What’s your favorite restaurants and order?
I actually don’teat out much as my hubby loves cooking and whips up some of the most amazing dishes you have ever tasted. Lemon Chicken, Shrimp Scampi, Smoke Tri Tip, Teriyaki Chicken with Kim Chi Fried Rice….I could go on and on!! I’m super lucky I can yoyo while he cooks dinner! haha

Favorite movie or TV show?
Not a huge movie or tv watcher but I gotta say my favorites movies are Daddy’s Home 1 & 2! It’s got the family aspect, Will Ferrell is so hilarious and Mark Walberg is not hard to watch so it has everything for me! I love watching either documentaries or shows like Married at First Sight or Love is Blind…I prefer reality shows oppose to scripted where I know it’s something that actually happened in real lifeand you can learn from it rather than something that was scripted.

If there was one song that you say fits your mood and personality perfectly, what it be?
First song that popped into my head was You Should Be Dancing by the Bee Gees so I’m going with it.

What’s your best yo-yo memory?
Oh my goshhh…most definitely the moment Justin won Nationals this past June. I posted a video on my channel “ 2024 U.S. National Yoyo Contest Justin Dauer- 1A Champion Announcement” that pretty much sums up how I felt. I’m having an out of body experience, literally, making unidentifiable noises, shrieking and who knows what else cause I cannot believe after 10 years of competing that he actually won. It was so unexpected…I still can’t believe it.

Well, I don’t know if I yoyo enough to have bad habits but I can tell you that once I learn a trick and post it, I will forget how to do it by the next day most of the time. It’s crazy. But the middle-aged foggy brain in women is REAL. I have to relearn everything ( much easier the second time though :wink:)

If you could wake up tomorrow and have any skill set from another player what would it be?
I’d love to yoyo like Tyler Vinneau or Justin. Those are my two favorite players :blush:

How do you want to inspire others?
One of the reasons I yoyo is because I want to show people that there are no boundaries in sex, age or skill level. You CAN do anything if you want it bad enough and set your mind to it. There are seriously not enough female yoyo’ers, so that really inspires me to keep going andhopefully inspire more women and even mom’s to start. I want people to experience the joy of pushing through something hard and coming out the other side having something beautiful to show for it.

If you never found yo-yo what would you be doing instead?
When I first read this question, I’m not gonna lie…it made me cry. To imagine my life, to imagine Justins’ life, our lives without yoyo, makes me feel so completely empty. It hurts to even think about how much fun, friends and love we would be missing out on.

How has the community changed from what it used to be, and where do you think it will end up?
I love the way Brandon Vu, Angelo Aguirre ( Angel2Up) and Gentry have inspired the next generation of yoyo’ers through social media. Some may think it’s cringy, but they truly have put in the work to bring our hobby to the mainstream. Because of them we have new kids coming every month to DXL Crew meetup in Los Angeles. From there I guide the parents to all the yoyo resources and how to learn tricks, find contests and become part of the community. If it weren’t for these pioneers we might not have a next generation of yoyo’ers…We might not even have contests anymore. I think our community and future is VERY bright and we have them ( Brandon, Angelo, Gentry) to thank for it.

Yes!! Get connected to other players at your age or skill level. Just reach out! Yoyo’ing is fun alone, but wayyyy more fun with others. In person or get together on Discord or Zoom! Justin’s on every night with friends…makes me happy to see all the guys together yo-braining and getting better.

If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say it at all…( it will be screenshotted haha) !!Life is short…Have fun!! Push yourself to do hard things! Encourage and try to understand others…you never know what they are going through. What you put in, you get out… Try meeting people different than you…you will learn and grow. I could go on and on….haha! You’re still here??? You guys are real ones!! <3 Thanks for having me here! :blush:

33 Likes

HELL YEAH!

Great one! Michelle is rad!

7 Likes