Bimetal Spark?

So I watched this video.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN7ATpnGQW0
And then wonder will a bimetal with stainless rims spark? because that would save a lot of money instead of buying a Ti. Basically I want a yoyo that sparks but not spend a lot on it, aluminum can’t do that.

It should as long as it’s a rough enough surface to scratch the metal.
Remember, the sparking is where metal is actually being removed from the object.

It might be a very small amount, but it’s still coming off.

Send me a bunch of Bi-Metals and I’ll run you some tests :smiley:

Edit: I just realized, this all means that the mighty flea should spark too!

You would have to spin it awfully hard and fast to get much of any spark.
It wouldn’t spark nearly as easily or as much as titanium will.

1 Like

This line got me thinking. WHY? Why would Ti spark easier if its from the metal being removed, and Ti is such a harder metal that steel. Why would Ti spark easier?

I thought steel was stronger, but TI was lighter.
I’m probably wrong though.

If I wanted something that would spark for cheap I would just buy a used ricochet for cheap. I wouldn’t risk doing this on a stainless steel bi-metal, the rims may just fall off or become dislodged.

Dust, I think you kind of answered your own question. Ti sparks easier because it can actually hold up against concrete and other rough surfaces creating heat and sparks. Since steel is softer, it will just scrape and ding against concrete.

I’m not saying steel can’t spark against concrete, it would take an extremely hard throw.

Where’s kyo or the machinist when you need them?

P.S, If anyone is looking for a Bi-Metal that sparks, check out the new Kc.Agent Tantalizing and it’s dual Ti-rims.

I’m pretty sure the sparking happens from the same effect as that of flint and steel.
Tiny pieces of the metal flake or chip off and the iron oxidizes almost instantly in the air and that causes heat which causes the spark.
So building up heat from friction would not be necessary.
The higher carbon the steel the easier it would be to spark because it would be more brittle and chip easier.

The hardness of either metal would be set during the cooling process and could vary widely depending on what method was used.

Steel and Titanium have about the same tensile strength, it’s just that TI is a lot lighter, so you can use more of it for the same weight.

1 Like

We’ve got some of those coming in, excellent yo-yos!