Bi-Shutter VS. Grasshopper GTX

anyone played both and can give me feedback? this is purely out of curiosity probably not going to get them anytime soon
thanks in advance!
-Peyton

1 Like

My personal preference is for the Grasshopper GTX due to its narrower width and lower price tag. They both have equally excellent play performance and both are made exceptionally well. I don’t feel you can choose between them on the basis of quality or performance, they are too equally matched. You have to find much more subtle things to base your decision on (shape or dimensions preferences, aesthetics, etc.).

7 Likes

no one?

1 Like

I actually have them both strung up but I haven’t been throwing much lately and have barely spent time with the Butter so I can’t really speak to it too much.

They’re really similar though, and feel pretty similar in play. I feel like the Grasshopper GTX carries a touch more momentum forward from element to element but it’s only a tad. And I wanna say that the Butter feels a touch lighter but they’re so similar to me that idk if I’m just making that up.

I also just spent a couple of seconds wondering why my light switch won’t flip before realizing that the lights were already on so take all of this with a grain of salt :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

I’ll get you pics shortly right after some much needed coffee. Coffee is life.

4 Likes

i’ve never heard anything so true!
also thanks for the feedback i think i like the overall appearance of the Bi-Shutter more but the Grasshopper GTX sounds like a really good yoyo too
thanks again!

1 Like

Here are some pics. Butter is slightly wider. Maybe that contributes to that difference in carrying momentum forward that I mentioned.

The Butter is wide but not too wide and doesn’t play like a wide boi (it’s between the width of an OG Shutter and a Wangle. Heavily rim weighted wide bois feel really awkward to me, and I don’t get that with the Butter. But something narrower like the Grasshopper GTX—which is just about the same width as the OG Shutter—still feels better to me.

4 Likes

looks noice

1 Like

Both of them feel quite distinct from other throws, particularly the Butter. The Grasshopper GTX is kind of the performance benchmark to my mind. It’s powerful, stable, fast, controllable, and even comfortable as well! It’s unreal that Duncan can sell them so inexpensively.

The Butter plays wider and has even more of the hollow feel that seems to accompany heavily rim weighted throws. I agree with Nonja that the GTX has good momentum that can facilitate flow, but doesn’t feel too fast or frenetic. The Butter has more of a ‘push it along’ feel to me. Personally, I don’t feel that in sync with it, although objectively it’s fantastic - wide, powerful, stable.

Different throws’ attributes tend to gel with different players. Whenever someone posts a thread asking for people’s Top 5 (or similar), the sheer variety is always astounding to me. People place more value on certain attributes, which helps determine their favorites. I think there is also the aspect of expectations vs outcome, meaning how the throw behaves after a given input. When the thow’s behavior matches the thrower’s expectation closely, it can go a long way towards achieving a flow state. You can forget about adjusting your inputs and just create.

All of that to say that (shockingly) Gentry’s natural inputs and expectations don’t exactly match with mine. This could obviously also be due to the vast difference in our skill levels. As a counterpoint, Durfee evidently has a style or natural inputs, or perhaps preferences, that match closely with Gentry’s (since he is enamored with the entire Shutter line).

6 Likes

Yes! I find this to be a very cogent observation.

As I think on it, I do believe that my favorite yoyos are the ones that have matched my hopes/expectations the closest. Though, to be honest, when I was first starting out I didn’t have any reasonable expectations since I lacked the experience necessary to even know what I would like from a yoyo. So during my first several months, my favorites tended to be those yoyos that seemed to make learning and executing tricks easier for me. I think that has heavily influenced what I’ve come to hope/expect from any new yoyo now.

If a yoyo just feels effortless to play with somehow, then I am going to be impressed by it and I will tend to pick it up a lot. That’s why I lean towards the Grasshopper GTX so much (along with my other favorite bi-metals like the Hummingbird, Surveillance, and Dominator).

6 Likes

so you guys think the Grasshopper GTX is better?

2 Likes

I can only say that I like it more. I guess that makes it better for me. But what I like (and what seems to be best for me) is rarely a predictor of what others will like best. That’s why reviews and recommendations are so difficult to rely on.

4 Likes

ok well thank you a lot for the feedback i’ll keep this in mind

1 Like

To my mind, you should find someone whose preferences and expectations match yours. Otherwise, as Zslane said, you’re likely to be disappointed. I have a yoyo buddy that inexplicably has almost the exact same taste in throws as I do. So, if he likes a throw, I’m almost certain to like it as well. But, I am very cautious about taking recommendations from others (even respected reviewers or highly skilled players).

5 Likes

yeah it’s true thank you for the advice

That’s such a good way of putting it! To me, it doesn’t really play too wide though. Certainly wider than the Grasshopper GTX but it’s not as wide in shape or in play as the Wangle and other wide throws I own.

Definitely agree with you especially compared to the Grasshopper GTX but I’m actually really appreciating that it doesn’t do this quite as much as other throws like the Death Adder. To me, the Death Adder and the Endgame feel wider on the string than the Butter. Maybe their weight placement is a lot more extreme

2 Likes

I think @zslane @nonja121 and @Nocompromise pretty much covered it. As much as I adore the Butter, the GTX I tried was very impressive and while narrower than the Butter still has a big catch zone.

It’s been a while since I played it but the GTX actually didn’t feel too off the mark from the Butter. The main difference in feel (and again this is completely based off memory) is the Grasshopper had a bit more of a solid (not heavy, just solid) and the Butter has as I think NoCompromise said a slight hollow feeling to it.

Also 45$ is a big price gap. Is the Butter worth 120$ to me? Yes and I’ll likely get another one. But it’s not like the GTX is any worse because it costs less.

I’m sure I’ll also buy a GTX in the future.

3 Likes

YYF often does blow outs though, so it’s probably gonna be possible to snag one at a more comparable price as the GTX if one’s patient. I don’t think I’ve ever bought a YYF bimetal at full price. Even my Edge Beyond I got for $50 during the A-May-Zing sale.

4 Likes