Best way to tap a 3D printed yoyo?

I have been experimenting with 3D printing yoyos recently. I have “successfully” tapped the halves by taking a spare axle I have, pressing kinda hard, and screwing it in but it introduces a lot of vibe because I can’t screw it in straight. What is a good way to tap the halves as straight as possible so it has little to no vibe? Thanks

1 Like

What about accommodating an area for lock nuts in your cad, so you could just insert them?

2 Likes

I hadn’t thought of that

1 Like

I use 12mm or 16mm m4 bolts with hex nuts. Lowe’s has them, but you could probably find them online. Just make a spot for them to sit in so it can be tightened. Threaded inserts are another option but I haven’t tried that yet.

Hopefully the picture shows what I mean. The prints I’ve made came out kinda bad so it may not be super clear

2 Likes

If you know the thread pitch and size you could just model it into object you’re printing. Granted, it’s not great for long term / high use, but it’ll work and can work quite well. Another option like mentioned above would be to use lock nuts or heat inserts. Heat-set inserts are a fantastic option because you melt them in place and the mechanical hold is much greater than printed threads.

1 Like