Best sub $35 yoyo for 0A?

Hey all, my brother is trying to get into modern responsive but I found out he can’t land any stalls because he is using a loop 720 haha. After I let him know it would be easier to learn on a yoyo more geared for stalls, he wants to buy his own for “around 30 bux”. The requirements are just, be easy enough and cool enough for someone to enjoy learning 0A trapeze stalls and stuff and have a bearing. I have told him about a bunch of expensive ones but its been months at this point and I dont think he is going to buy one if it is too expensive like the weekender or moonshine 2 :confused: I told him the Legend wing was really good for this and cheap as heck, and he seemed like he was not interested in wood which is very unfortunate. I told him to give it a chance and he said it wasn’t exciting haha.

5 Likes

YYF Legend Wing

He can get 3 for 30 bux.

9 Likes

You should also consider along with a Legend Wing one of the Play Collection Voyage color player variants as well, since these are only $5.99, these are the same yoyos as the Zipline branded Spinstars

3 Likes

Nice, yes that is the first one I suggested to him but it sounds like he wants something with a bearing… I should have mentioned that I already sent him legend wing ha :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh cool! I was kinda sad I missed the zipline sale for spinstars so I might pick one up myself B) I think he would prefer a bearing however. I should have mentioned that

1 Like

The fun fact about the Spinstars is that they can use the 720 spacers and bearings, just swap out the axle and the plastic sleeve.

4 Likes

While they don’t have a true “bearing”, Spinstars are good for 0A and a bit more capable than a Legend Wing with a longer spin time. Be warned they are noisy though!

4 Likes

Yeah PB transaxles are vibey. The bearing mod doesn’t really enhance spin time as much but it really helps make it smoother and quieter.

2 Likes

one. Ball bearings are good. Also, try the replay and get a spare bearing so he could do unresponsive play in the future.

1 Like

A few favorites:

• Spinstar
  • Legend Wing
  • The Thing (by Toybania)

The Spinstar is really underrated for modern responsive play. The Legend Wing is surprisingly fun, but you’ll probably miss having a transaxle for many moves. The Thing is a great delrin yo-yo at a great price, but shipping times can be a bit of a drag from outside the US.

4 Likes

I guess I don’t know what I don’t know, but I thought you wanted a very responsive, fixed axle yoyo for the kind of tricks you mentioned - stalls etc. Most bearing yoyos are not responsive enough. You mentioned that he’s currently using a loop 720 and it isn’t working… :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Dang that is cool! I will have to get one for myself haha. Thank you

1 Like

Dang ive always thought the replay was heavy feeling, too much for 0A but I haven’t tried it with a slim bearing

I wasn’t happy with my basecamp Sherpa doing stalls until I put some traxxas grease in the bearing and it was immediately much more responsive. It’s a good option on sale, it’s pretty close to 35, organic and seems light weight to me. I also wore out the response pads and put some red gasket silicone in there as generously as I could to make it more responsive, but the traxxas grease really made the difference. Much better than Vaseline.

4 Likes

Oh, the other thing that really helped me with stalls and redirects, was shortening my string. Might be different for other people, but I throw unresponsive yo-yos with a much longer string, and had a much harder time getting the timing of a basic trapeze stall with a longer string.

4 Likes

Legend Wing all day long

3 Likes

Thanks! Yeah I actually looked for a Sherpa for him but I couldn’t find one. Maybe I just dont know where to look! I didn’t do any LF posts for it either. I dont really know how much they go for I missed that one. I been using YYF loop lube but I keep seeing everyone use that Traxxas grease so maybe I’ll give that a try too.

I have my string set to about the same as my string trick length but I think my string trick length is pretty short compared to what I think other people use. I kinda find using belly button to top of feet around there is good, as long as the yoyo as enough room in the walls to be able to stall! haha

Too bad they’re not available at this time but the YYF Confusion is what really got me into 0a. It is essentially a modernized Cold Fusion from the 90s, shape is nearly identical to the Cold Fusion GT or Bumblebee GT.

This is not to be confused with the YYF Confusion GT which doesn’t handle 0a as well.

2 Likes

Well, I was going to write that I wasn’t too attached to mine and offer to sell it, but then I started thinking about how it was the first yoyo I played with since I was a kid, and I got kind of sentimental. It’s really beaten up anyway. But, I just threw a couple of stalls with a plastic Duncan butterfly, and it worked pretty well. And I got it for $7 at Target a couple christmases ago. Put some nicer poly string on there, and it’s not too shabby. Definitely easier to drop $7 on something you’re not sure about. It seems to me like the main thing you get from a metal yoyo is longer spin, but for stalls and redirects, that isn’t important. In fact, I have to consciously try to throw slower to maintain control over where the stall happens. Maybe a slower-spinning yoyo would make it easier. I’m strongly considering that wooden yoyo linked at the top of the thread for myself…

1 Like

When I added the grease to the bearing, I added very nearly the smallest amount I could possible squeeze out of the tube. I mean, just barely sticking out at all, and scraped it into the bearing. But, I did do that twice.

Just to make sure we’re talking about the same thing, it’s the Traxxas 1647 silicone grease.