Best String

I’ve used Fat Kitty for awhile. Still do. Probably have 600 or so in different colors. But lately I’ve been using YYSL Type X, and I REALLY like them, they last a long time for me. I don’t like it as much for the yoyo’s that I use responsive though, not sure why that is though.

My favorite string though is the Toxic Dragon though. Bought a bunch right after finding out that he was going to stop making it. I hope he’ll make some more though. They last forever! I can get months out of 1 string, and it seems to get better and better the more you play it.

I’m still using Great White. Almost out of them.

I sprung for a 100 pack of Kitty Fat Nylon last week, kind of on a whim, and I have to say that I’m really impressed with them. They feel similar to the poly Kitty Fats, but are better in pretty much every way. Slightly softer, better whips and slacks, longer lasting, not as reactive to humidity, and much better tension management. The only drawback that I can tell is that they only come in white or yellow, so there aren’t as many color choices as poly Kitty if you use some other color exclusively. But, I’m more than satisfied with the white ones, and I don’t think I’ll ever buy poly Kitty again. It’s by far my favorite budget bulk string that I’ve tried, among Kitty regular/fat/XL poly, Blueprints, Yocala, sOMETHING Type 2 poly, and YYR regular poly. Premium strings have been better, but these are probably the best bang for my buck.

I tried the Kitty fat nylon, and came away wondering if it wasn’t mislabeled poly. It got the worn poly fuzzy look in the amount of time poly gets that way, and it seemed as soft as poly. ???

I’ll be straight up with ya man. We can sit here, tell you what we like/use and what might better suit you. But for me, I had to use about every other string out there before I found the one I prefer and use daily (which are neon green Kitty Fat Strings). I have a few friends who use Polyester strings, another that uses cotton. While my best friend since elementary school swears up and down the Mighty Flea strings are the greatest thing next to water. Just depends on you my man. Just depends on you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

He uses mighty flea sting on normal yoyos? Lol! That is great!

Also, depends on what style you’re playing, and what yoyo you’re using.

I had the same thought when I first took them out of the package. They were already just as fuzzy as poly, and didn’t feel much different. But after playing a couple of them for a decent bit, there is a noticeable difference in the play characteristics. I don’t think they’re any better at maintaining tension compared to a new poly Kitty, but over time they retain better tension; I find that poly Kitty gets pretty finicky in regards to tension fairly quickly, but these nylons are still going strong well past when I’d usually switch out a poly. They definitely whip better than poly Kitty, and slacks seem to stay open better (related somewhat to being slightly “stiffer”, but also that they’re less finicky about tension over time). They also haven’t seemed to gum up and feel grippy with humidity (MN summers are terrible) nearly as bad as regular poly. I guess I haven’t truly compared the texture against the hands, but they’re pretty comparable I’d say.

Overall, string is string, and most will get the job done just fine. That being said, not all string is equal, and all have their pros and cons. The differences in string will come down to personal preference as to which string is truly best for you, so it’s nice that Kitty provides both poly and nylon versions in varying widths all for the same bulk price of $19/100 strings. If anybody is new and looking for the “best” string, like I said, it’s subjective and will come down to your own personal preferences, just like the yoyos that we put the string on, the bearings that are inside them, and the response that make them return to our hands.

So I suggest trying a few of the cheaper 10 packs when you’re just starting. Then if you like one of those, buy a bulk pack of it so that you have a solid supply of string that you enjoy, and then continue experimenting further with other 10 packs while you have that solid supply if you really want to find the absolute best string for you.

Personally, my absolute favorite cheap bulk string is now Kitty Fat Nylon. My favorite “premium” string is YYSL Venom. Overall, my favorites have changed as I keep trying more different string types. Like has been said, most all strings will get the job done, but there are definitely various strings that I just won’t be buying again, as I have found others that I personally like better.

1 Like

I used to love this string back around 2008 or 2009. Is it still being made? I took a long break back then & started throwing again a few years ago. Haven’t seen it around so I assumed it was KIA.

You can still find it. Not sure if it’s still being made.

Found old stock maybe? Interesting.

I really like Kitty String and Snakebite but I’ve had good experience with cheaper Zeekios too. I do not like Duncan strings.

I’m a big fan of YoYo String Lab type X. It lasts, is good for whips and slacks, is soft…

I really enjoy Cloud strings, but I just ordered some Angel Hair in green to try some. Been wanting to get some for a while, figured WTH. ill see how it goes! got 2 x 5 packs. looking forward to see how they compare.

Where did you find angel hair?

^^They are totally different! You’ll probably be frustrated by them for a while, and may never like them

It’s difficult to do a backspin bind with them at first, because they’re so stiff that the string just feeds straight down rather than wrapping around the bearing!

They never get soft, but once they break in, they do become flexible, and seem to remain the same forever!

I like them in minis, as they are very thin. I’m using a really well worn one in my Flea right now.

I sent some to Woodrat, and he hated them! Maybe PM him and see if he’ll pass them along to you. If not, hit me up.

Thanks! I’ll have to ask him about them sometime :slight_smile:

Blueprint and Buddha for me.

Blueprint is great!

Blueprint and kitty nylon 1.5 (haven’t had blueprint for a while but I used to really like it)