Best path?

When you guys start your journey to learn tricks, is there a trick that’s best to start off with and follow a path, or do you just pick what you like best And pick at random?

5 Likes

I chose double or nothing and the wrist mount first. You can really follow a path off of those mounts. I also watched a Yoyotricks YouTube playlist from tricks easiest to hardest.

4 Likes

I started with YYE’s trick learning ladder. I’m about half way through the Intermediate stage right now.

I recently took a brief detour from the ladder to (try and) master Chad’s “Flow Routine”. I intend to get back to the ladder while continuing to work on the flow routine.

I think that once you have the very basics down: trapeze, his brother, brain twister, and double or nothing, you can probably branch out and try any trick that doesn’t look too difficult. But if you want a path that’s more structured, like I prefer for the most part, then give YYE’s learning trick ladder a try.

6 Likes

I would say to start with getting comfortable getting into a mount. Just pick one that interests you. Then learn a handful of tricks for that mount. Then you can either keep going or try out a different mount and then learn a couple tricks. And so on until you’ve learned every mount

5 Likes

I started on the trick ladder, then I veered off after learning the basic breakaway mounts: trapeze, trapeze and his brother, double or nothing, kamakazi, 1.5, etc…

I just learn whatever I feel like learning

6 Likes

I guess it depends on what someone’s ultimate goals are. Like a real ladder, if you’re agile enough, you can skip wrungs but it’s probably better and safer to climb the traditional way because each wrung serves a purpose.

3 Likes

This is great info.

2 Likes

Learn all the beginner to advanced tricks then only learn the tricks that appeal to you. If 1a gets boring, try another style to get inspo for 1a.

2 Likes

Straight to beefhook, and then 24/7 nothing but beefhook all day every day. Don’t even learn how to bind, just BEEFHOOK

B E E F H O O K

5 Likes

Just reading this makes my blood boil. Damn that trick. Damn it I say!

2 Likes

I keep hearing that trick mention but don’t know what it is. Can someone link a tutorial for it?

I only mention it because people (not just here but on Reddit also) always talk about how annoying it is to learn, and then when you do learn it, the trick doesn’t even look that impressive … unless you yourself have tried to learn beefhook.

There’s something existentially perfect about that, to my mind.

1 Like

Don’t blame me

ok @smileypants707 but when i land it first try ill let you know

2 Likes

That’s what they all say! Then you slowly start to question if you’re really all that in to yoyos anyway.

2 Likes

Finally landed it once after 50+ tries. I’ll have it down by sunday… hopefully.

2 Likes

Oooh, I’m kksimon. I landed beefhook once.

I don’t wanna hear it!!

Don’t talk to me

1 Like

More seriously, I posted a few trick paths here that I found:

https://forums.yoyoexpert.com/t/list-of-tricks-to-learn-by-difficulty/291140

Also can I just say that string arrangement tricks like “eiffel tower” and “star” and “jamiacan flag” are… suuuper lame in my opinion? Even rock the baby is more interesting!

Even when they are the destination of a simi complex, to highly technical trick?

I just super do not like “look at this tweaked out string arrangement I just made” tricks, personally. That’s on me.

I like movement!

1 Like