Best and worst solid color half-swaps?

I love a good half-swap! But it seems some colors work better in half swaps than others. Take this TopYo Meta collection, for example …

… to me this is a very challenging half swap scenario. Out of curiosity, which of those would work for half-swaps in your opinion? I only see pink and aqua as plausible? It’s extra hard because there is no clear or black on offer here.

If we refer to the color wheel …

… “opposite colors” isn’t quite right, because I can’t recall ever seeing a green/red or yellow/purple half swap working … :rofl: I might have seen a blue/orange once? So I guess we’ll have to call aesthetically pleasing half-swaps complementary colors?

yoyo-half-swap

What I have seen a lot of, that works really well in half-swaps, is the following. I’d call these classic swaps guaranteed to work!

• red/blue (teal/pink kinda the same)
  • blue/green
  • black/silver (or white)

I also think clear and black can work half swapped with (almost) any number of colors, being that they are the extremes?

yoyo-half-swaps-kinda

The second tier of “kinda works” in half-swaps, for me anyway:

• purple/green (joker)
  • red/gold (ironman)
  • purple/gold (PB&J)
  • blue/grey
  • pink/green

(I also find that half-swapping splashes is suuuper risky, but can work in some scenarios? That’s a whole other and much more complicated topic.)

How about you? Got any unorthodox or particular favorite solid color half-swaps?

6 Likes

The only two half swaps I like are clear with another colour or black with another colour. Nothing else looks all that crash-hot to me.

1 Like

The shade of the color is a big part of the equation. For example, I know everyone has seen the blue/green swap. I’m normally not a fan, but I saw a swap done in a navy/forest and I loved it. I wish I could remember where I saw it or what the yo-yo was. Just personal preference, but it made a world of difference for me.
Also, analogous colors in general will work well as opposed to complementary colors.

2 Likes

VZKiss used Gold+Red in the VTWO video

and Alex Hattori used Salmon+Blue in the Boost.

1 Like

Out of those Topyo’s, I’d swap a green and light blue. That might look pretty cool. Or swap the blues. I like how a-rt does the “avocado” half swap of the slightly different greens too.

I’m typically not into half swaps, but black seems to be pretty chill with other colors. Like my black and purple Kuntosh… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Oh, and the Paul Han edition Shutter is Orange/Blue.

2 Likes

Yeah one thing you don’t see a lot (or at least I haven’t personally) is this half swap pattern:

• lighter (color)
  • darker (color)

I’ll have to try that and see what I think, but light blue / dark blue or light green / dark green could work.

Technically, silver and black is this pattern as well. Technically :wink:

1 Like

Green/green does look pretty good. See the A-RT avocado colorway on the sf/A-RT DK:

13 Likes

Love that swap, looks so good

1 Like

Yeah this is analogous colors at work

1 Like

Lighter+Plus darker is in a lot of fades.

2 Likes

I’m hoping to meet someone eventually willing to half swap their KoOlau Edge with my silver one.

Here’s one I saw today that I hadn’t previously considered. Purple/red? I dunno…

3 Likes

For sure, another good example of an analogous color win (but I’d probably go slightly lighter on the red)

1 Like

Yeah, purple/pink is much better, I actually have one of those around here…

4 Likes

Is that an Incarnate?

I think so, it’s not my photo though.

Nice! Reminds me of the forest.

1 Like

The purple/red is mad. It reminds me of Magneto =)

Here’s one I would not have predicted working, but seems to

7 Likes